Help working on kitchen valance and dining room curtains and rug what is you opinion of these
Amy Thompson
Ideabook: Our Kitchen Remodel So Exciting!!
grey fshion walls, dark red mahogany cabinets, stainless

Amy Thompson
wrong pictures posted this is the valance
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 12:40PM
Amy Thompson
Do these work together???
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 1:25PM
Jayme H.
Your tile almost seems a bit deeper/bolder than the fabrics..but not saying it won't work. The fabrics match with the rug.
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 1:33PM
Amy Thompson
Thank you for your feedback Jayme : )
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 1:42PM
Jayme H.
My pleasure, you're welcome!
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 1:47PM
Love the wallpaper. And I like the tile, but not the two together. Too busy. Is the flower grey? I would stick to a glass subway tile, clear and tinted the color of the flower.

0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 1:57PM
Amy Thompson
Thanks Judy! That would be pretty wallpaper but it's a rug for dining room. The tile will be in the kitchen : ) We knocked down the wall between the two rooms : )
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 2:09PM
Amy Thompson
I'm going to redo the fabric on my dining room chairs what do you think would work with the drapes and rug???
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 2:11PM
Gabberts Design Studio
Based on your photos the rug and valance work well together. Try a small scale pattern for the chairs. If you want a transitional look try something like this: http://search.kravet.com/Kravet-Soleil-Indoor-Outdoor-Indoor-Outdoor/2714024-400/CoverInformation.aspx
For a more traditional fabric: http://search.kravet.com/Kravet-Silk/182009-400/CoverInformation.aspx
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 2:45PM
Amy Thompson
Thank you Judy and Thank you Gabberts- I like them both. Judy that is what I currently have on the chairs but my cats have the weave all messed up. Is there any cat proof material- I had there front claws denailed but they still have there backs.....
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 5:00AM
Amy Thompson
Love getting the comments I have searched hours and hours for every single thing!
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:44PM
Amy Thompson
My husband isn't liking the stripes, wanna cry feel like I'm starting from scratch- what to do : (
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 7:47AM
Jayme H.
Don't cry, take a deep breath...there are lots more options :)
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 12:14PM
Jayme H.
Please don't get discouraged....lots of people here to offer suggestions..:)
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 4:20PM
Heather Swanson
What if you went with a solid color for the valence or curtains if your hubby isn't thrilled about the stripes? I think the valence and rug would be great with curtains in a solid color pulled from the valence (like a nice simple beige or cream). That way the stripes aren't as "in your face". Don't get too discouraged!
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 4:26PM
Amy Thompson
Thank you Heather and Jayme- I'm just stuck on the stripes because they pull in a couple different colors from the room and have the pop color burgundy. I picture solid burgundy and it just doesn't work. I think the cream would look really nice but then I'm down to just the accessories to put in some color..
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 7:13PM
Jayme H.
@Amy...I see the color scheme u are looking for. What sometimes happens with bolder colors is that they can take center stage if placed in a larger pattern/scale such as a sectional. It can become distorted and not as lovely as it could be, if used in a different way... a subtle "pop" of color..in a pattern can make a much better impact than if it is plastered on a larger scale. So what I am saying is that I would concentrate on pulling the burgundy in within a smaller scale...ie: a line through a pattern in drapery and one color on an area rug. Did that make any sense at all?
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 7:32PM
Jayme H.
Were u planning the stripes for draperies?
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 7:36PM
JMittman Designs
I think you have too much going on. I don't care for the valance with the curtains at all--even in adjoining rooms. Two different stripes/colors? Or am I missing something? The panels look full and luxurious-formal. The valance seems a bit on the skimpy side and looks much less impressive.
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 7:42PM
Amy Thompson
Thanks so much Jayme- I understand- I tend to be quiet then when I'm loud, I'm too loud. I was hooked on the stripes but my husband doesn't like.I do however really like the luxurious look of the taffeta maybe a cream with a little burgundy (not sure if it exists- I've look at almost every curtain in the country- UK has a lot of grey and burgundy which would also work), or maybe a little burgundy in a sheer or valance???? I'm going to take an updated picture we're still a long way from done...
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 7:47PM
Jayme H.
Valances can be a detriment if not done well....have u considered NO valance? Can we see the room? I love the tones/colors u like too..there r ways to get the look.
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 7:52PM
Jayme H.
Posts some pics!! I see u are going to...:)
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 7:52PM
Amy Thompson
Thanks for your honest feedback JMittman. We knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room- I am working on a valance for over the kitchen sink, I have a sliding glass door in the kitchen and double window in the dining room. I am going to take an updated picture but we aren't done painting and the window trim isn't up yet, cabinets not done, floor got about 3/4 done today : ) my husband is doing everything himself to include building the cabinets- he's hurting to say the least!!
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 7:55PM
Jayme H.
Valances can be overrated...You have good ideas..but I agee with JMittman...too skimpy on the valances...those bold colors need some substantial place to occupy..in size and form to look right.
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 8:00PM
Jayme H.
If u do that backsplash...I would not do a valance in that stripe...too much...
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 8:02PM
Amy Thompson
Okay so I have a gozillion pics in my idea book
started before Christmas and are probably just about half done
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 8:52PM
Amy Thompson
Okay I was going too busy on everything any suggestions for sliding door, kitchen and dining room windows?
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 9:49PM
JMittman Designs
The double window is the dining room? Or is that still kitchen area? Without seeing your furniture, those striped panels seem too formal--and too puddled for this window. Puddling can get more messy than puddling, and I bet your cats will love puddling also... I would use side panels that just touch the floor, installed on a rod up high.
On the kitchen sink window, I'd pick one of the solids in your backsplash for a cornice. Do you have room to hang panels over your slider?
1 Like   March 13, 2013 at 5:18AM
Julea Reinventing Space
Have a panel made into a faux roman shade - The valance is too fancy for your more mod design.
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 5:29AM
Amy Thompson
Thanks JMttman The double window is the dining room (not painted or floored yet) I am not doing the striped curtains anymore husband doesn't like stripes. Doing dark wood tile floor really like the puddling look- still work in progress- am I am open to suggestions!! Fashion grey walls, white crown, we were going to do waynescoting but not sure now- husband is running out of steam. We are doing white waynescoting on the dining room side of the bar. My dining room furniture is lighter than the floor and cabinets- probably going to replace with dark furniture but running out of funds. My cats don't bother anything anymore- no more kittens just fat cats : )
1 Like   March 13, 2013 at 5:44PM
Amy Thompson
Thanks Julea- I will look up faux roman shade : ) I am starting from scratch with the curtains and valances- I did still like the rug but am open to suggestions it's kinda of expensive.

PS JMitt I do have room for panels on the sliding door- I threw out the old ones they were green and had it
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 5:48PM
Amy Thompson
Throwing a new rug in the mix, still looking for drapes for sliding door, double window, and something over the kitchen sink. Everything is still very unfinished but my husband works fast so when it's time to put the drapes and curtains up I got to be prepared or he'll rush me into something : )
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 7:31PM
Amy Thompson
I'm guessing that I need to get more done and get the construction junk out to get more suggestions....
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 6:10AM
Amy Thompson
I guess I'm on my own , lost in curtain and drape land
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 5:50PM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Post pics when it's all done and then will be easier to decide what you need re drapes and fabrics. Do NOT let him rush you into making any decision, you will have to live with a mistake for a long time.
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 6:27PM
Amy Thompson
Thank you Julie
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 7:29PM
JMittman Designs
Here are some pretty gray fabrics to think about..
3 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 5:22AM
Amy Thompson
The cabinets are dark reddish, the granite has cream, black, reddish, and silver flecks. The floor tile is a creamy with grey swishies and the backsplash is frosted glass, stainless and a little brownish red squares. Attaching some pics. I have a lot of dark reddish glass pieces that I am hoping to do some accessorizing with.
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 6:27AM
Jayme H.
I like your granite...Have u already purchased all your flooring and tiles, etc?
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 6:53AM
bevballew
I agree. Take your time.
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 7:01AM
bevballew
If you love the stripe can you cover the dr chairs with it or do a table runner or pillows? Backsplash and granite might look too busy together. You may need fabric with gray and red in it. Like the flower fabric above.
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 7:08AM
Amy Thompson
@ Jayme flooring is almost in- it's porcelin creamy with grey swishies in the dining room we are doing porcelin medium dark wood look tiles., I only bought one piece of backsplash so far- I know both are busy but...Everything so far is very modern and masculine- I wanted some bling and pretty sparklies- my husband and I argued about the backsplash for about a month- the one he liked was pretty it was tiger eye by daltile BUT it was very masculine and a little too dark considering the dark cabinets.
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 9:28AM
Amy Thompson
@ bevballew- thank you I actually had just thought of that the other day and saved an image in my idea book thank you!
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 9:29AM
Amy Thompson
One of the other reasons I like the backsplash is because the clear glass pieces have that slight greenish hue- we did glass panels on the cabinet doors which have that slight greenish hue- not what I wanted/realized....but they are beautiful. We are also putting a slide-in range in the island with a stainless hood that has glass on it which has that slight green look. My previous kitchen was green and red- didn't plan on pulling any green in the new but....the couple little touches make it work but at the same time I don't want to emphasize it- like putting anymore green in the room.....I'll post some more pics they are on my other computer....
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 9:37AM
Kitchen and Dining Room Remodel Curtains and Rugs
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/6803857/thumbs/Our-Kitchen-Remodel--So-Exciting-- We...
Help! What rug would work with my patterned curtains?!
Hello! I'm decorating my bedroom and I need to find...
Need help on living room curtains or valance, just have shades now.
I have two large four pane windows (ea. pane 22" (4panes=88")w...
Need opinions on adding a brightly colored Moroccan rug to dining room
Very big family with multiple ages (8 grandchildren,...
Remodel Help
Moving and already trying to remodel the new place....
Ask
Small space between the ceiling and the cabinet
Plain bathroom.
Thinking of painting the cabinets and walls. The bathroom...
What should we do with this master bath?
Just bought a 1959 split level colonial that is in...
How should I fix the closet?
I bought new closet from Ikea and tried to put it into...