Furnishing living room ideas
mobileme
I just bought a mini home, and am baffled on how to furnish this room. I emptied the room to shampoo the rugs and decided its a good time for a picture. I'm thinking about buying an electric fireplace to set in the center of the left wall and mount my flat screen tv on the wall above it. Perhaps a couch on the right hand wall and maybe a love seat against the far wall with the big window. My couch is chocolate brown so im thinking about getting 3 blinds that sit inside the window frame to cover the 3 window panes on the large window, instead of having 1 big blind (or curtains). I'd imagine that having the blinds a darker color to match my couch would be best.
I'd love to get some opinions in case my idea is a dud! :)
Jayme H.
Here's rectangular livingroom...You could do an "L" like this with sofa and loveseat if u it works..not sure if there is enough room. Sorry, it's not where u are putting your fireplace, but u can get the idea.
March 5, 2013 at 1:43pm     
Sofa/love sets are a bit over rated. Try a 3-seat sofa and two accent or swivel arm chairs. If you're a fan of sectionals you'll want an apartment sized one.Fabric romans would be pretty at all your windows, mounted inside. Hang soft panels at each end to barely cover the window frame. Are you thinking about a new light fixture? A wonderful drum pendant might be nice. Don't forget an area rug to layer over the carpet and define your FP sitting area.
March 5, 2013 at 1:48pm   
Don't block that front window with a love seat. Go with Jayme's idea of window panels and a chair in each corner.
March 5, 2013 at 1:48pm   
mobileme
here is a pic the way i have it now. as it seems i'm quite a noob and don't know much about these things.. but is it ok to have an area rug ontop of carpet? I thought carpet needed to "breath" I'm also not sure what soft panels are but it sounds enticing lol. I definately want to replace the light fixures. Only thing is with my sloped ceiling, the ceiling height where the light fixture is, is 7 and a half feet. I'm not sure i can get away with any hanging style lights with the risk of bashing my head off it. I don't think i can do an "L" style loveseat/sofa since the only entrance to this room is through the kitchen. I'd have little space to enter the room with any furniture being in the entrance. Perhaps a smaller chair would look good by the big window.
I just found this picture and the idea really intrigues me. My tv is 42" so of course it would have to look a bit different, but having the wall on the left look like that would be amazing in my eyes.

March 5, 2013 at 5:07pm   
mobileme
yes im using boxes as end tables :)
March 5, 2013 at 5:10pm   
Jayme H.
What type of fireplace r u getting? If u put tv over fireplace u can also do floating shelves like that around your fireplace. I am not usually a big fan of t.v. over fireplace, but in a smaller place, u gotta do what u gotta do. Area rugs are fine over carpet. Maybe u could still do an "L" with your sofa on larger wall across from FP/TV and float loveseat away from window and have it facing kitchen area?
March 5, 2013 at 5:30pm   
mobileme
I was thinking about an electric fireplace like what i'll link below this message but i'm not sure anymore on that. Now I'm leaning towards the big mahogany board mounted to the wall with the tv and shelves as in the pic above. I'm really falling for that idea. I just hope that would look ok in this house i'm terrible at visualizing the finished picture until it's actually finished.
http://www.sears.ca/product/classicflame8482-victor-mantel-electric-fireplace/642-000881151-18SM6233-PM92
March 5, 2013 at 5:41pm   
Jayme H.
I think it would look fine in your place, looks like a nice size..Do u have any brown end tables or anything that it would match with? I think it could work out very nicely with the shelving idea!
March 5, 2013 at 5:45pm   
mobileme
right now my end tables are cardboard boxes -lol but i certainly could get some matching end tables. So perhaps that big mahogany board/entertainment thing on the left wall, inside mounted shades/blinds for the windows (dark brown maybe?), a couple end tables, and maybe a floor standing plant would be stylish. Im still not sure about the "L" shaped sofa/loveseat setup in this house though but I agree that its best to keep the big window non obstructed. Maybe I can find a small abstract chair/stool that would fit.
March 5, 2013 at 5:54pm   
Jayme H.
If you are not set on a loveseat, I would go for a chair and ottoman instead...would make the room less cluttered and flow better probably...I would consider the size of your room when choosing tables also..some can get so bulky.
March 5, 2013 at 6:22pm   
Cheery Curtains
It seems that there are not many existing items in the room and this gives you much freedom when furnishing the room. Think of a color you would like to set the basic tone and add some color accents. That's the simplest way.

Actually it maybe better if you go with curtains for the front door and shades for the small windows on the side. The curtains and the shades are better in the similar colorway to create a better view.

Hope these attached curtains will give you some inspiration.
March 5, 2013 at 10:46pm   
Need ideas to furnish living room
I have a small formal living room at the front of my...
Looking for ideas to enhance Ikea furnished living/dining room
Open lr/dr. Black/brown wood table, chairs, book cases,...
Furnishing/decor ideas for small living room & dining
I have a small living room/dinning. I put the dinning...
Need Help: living room fireplace ideas, editing furnishings/decorating
I just had a design/installation come give me an estimate...
Dining room furniture placement
Slowly, but surely, 11 months after we moved into our...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...
Replace flooring in rental house
This house is currently a rental which I intend to...