duckberg

Need Help with adding some punches of color

duckberg
11 years ago
The sofa, chairs and rug need to stay... how can I punch up the color

Comments (14)

• Fonda
    11 years ago
    You already have chosen deep red as an accent color. If you are not changing your wall color, how about a red lamp. I would also add an interesting figurine or statue on the coffee table. If you do decide to change the wall color, I would choose a deeper shade of tan or gold.
  • duckberg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like the deep red as it's in the rug and I do like the poppy print.... was thinking of painting but always get drawn to the yellows.... but would like to color a bit warmer
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Room could use more contrast. I would pull the darkest color from the border of the rug for sofa throw pillows. And take down all the window valances. Perhaps roman shades instead. The wall color is pretty close to the furniture color.
  • duckberg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Roman shades appeal to me a lot, would a solid color be what I would go with...
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    11 years ago
    More burgundy or red accent pillows, replace the coffee table with one in either dark wood, or dark metal with glass top, then place a decorative burgundy/ red accent on top.
  • duckberg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The coffee table is awesome for game playing and parties... what about painting the legs a darker color?
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Can't help it: want to do a little furniture arranging. At least the front legs of the sofa should be on the rug. Can rug be turned 90 degrees? And try sofa where the two chairs are now. Take the throw off the back. Put the pillow from the chair in the corner on to the sofa.

Take the two matching chairs (on opposite sides of room now) and place them where the sofa was. Try the recliner where the wooden chair is.

If you leave sofa where it is, still bring the matching chair over and still place the sofa on to the rug. A larger glass coffee table would work better with your sofa without hiding too much of your rug.
  • Mason Laeto
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks for the "likes". I just saw the second picture. Can I add to my earlier suggestions? If you stand in the room and count it goes: 1, 2, 3, 4- big overstuffed pieces; all together and in a row. How about at least swapping the two chairs by the console? Add a pillow to the oak chair. My comment about the lines is even stronger seeing this side of the room; see how all the furniture in the second photo really continues the horizontal line dead center? Swap the chairs, add a "softener" to the oak one, and create more vertical lines with the drapes, add a second large rounded shape to the top of the console....how about hanging a lamp at the left edge of pic 2 and a tall plant...or one on a tall, thin box in the right corner of pic 2 to soften that corner line. Honestly, I think I would pick up the cream color of the carpet in the vertical drapes and in the pillows and paint the back of the book cases the same otherwise the room becomes darker.

Great idea: if you don’t want to paint the back of the cases just wrap foam board, cut to fit, with the drape fabric or paint thin sheets of luan and attach with a removable tape...if you cut them carefully, they will "hold" themselves in.
  • duckberg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. Now, as I sit in the room I understand... It's not a big room and we also have a wood stove in it. I have had the matching chairs together before and also have switched the sofa from window to under shelves. The wooden cabinet houses our tv, etc., which we use to watch movies in the room. I am Considering other options for the tv in the room, perhaps a flat screen but worry about too much natural light in the room to watch in daytime. The largest chair is new, it's a recliner rocker. I know people hate them, but it's pretty darn comfy. I regards to window treatments, bamboo roman shades an option?
  • User
    11 years ago
    I would not do bamboo roman shades - too bland and usually you can see in from the outside. I would do burgundy if that is your accent color and use some Burgundy cushions on your sofa. Or choose a color that is in the area rug if you are going to keep it or a color from the sofa if you dont want the burgundy . I do think Roman shades would look nice.
  • duckberg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    How would you mount roman shades, to the ceiling?
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Window treatments with a pattern would help,...and maybe an interesting, pattern on the ottoman
  • User
    11 years ago
    I would not hang the Roman shades to the ceiling because I do not think they would look right.