Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleykilburg

Painting cherry kitchen cabinets

Ashley Kilburg
8 years ago

I'd like to paint our cherry kitchen cabinets. The floors are a cream colored Travertine and the counters are a beige granite that has grey, brown and cream in it.
Our trim is Dove White and the wall color is Tapestry Beige.
Should I just have the cabinets painted Dove White or is there another white I should consider?

Comments (5)

• Sigrid
    8 years ago

Cherry is a lovely, expensive wood. I really don't get why so many people are eager to paint them. Can't you learn to appreciate them? In the not-too-distant future, the white kitchen thing will be over and everyone will regret painting their wood cabs.

• PRO
    Debra Toney, AIA Assoc.
    8 years ago

75% of the buying population prefers white painted cabinets, not just now, but always! I am not a huge fan of cabinet painting and much prefer cabinet resurfacing, sometimes called refacing. This process (with most companies, but not all, so you have to ask!!) allows for all of the materials to be finished in a cabinet shop producing the same multi step type of finish quality as if it we a new cabinet being shipped from the cabinet manufacturing facility and will last for many, many years. Painting your cabinets in your home wont assure the same longevity. Can you move up the budget scale just a bit to assure something that will last for a long time? I would suggest going with the same color as your trim over introducing another white--- unless you're in the position of getting a quickie color consult with a designer --who can look at the options with you. Whites are tricky and we don't want you to have any regrets!

• PRO
    Mahnken Cabinets
    8 years ago

There may be some exceptions but i would try to stick with dove white just to avoid competing colors. If this is for resale anyway. If you are going to be keeping your home I also vote for having the cherry cabinets refinished if they are of good quality. Cherry is a pretty classy wood just to be covered up by paint

• Margaret
    8 years ago

Cherry cabinets, if they are real cherry, are lovely. If you google for "cherry hardwood furniture" you will find pictures of the real thing. There a lot of "cherry cabinets" out there that are some sort of fairly inexpensive wood with a dark stain. I've also see cabinets with some sort of low grade cherry with lots of knots. If you have furniture grade cherry cabinets don't paint them - your problem is probably your wall color. Cherry is warm and orangey, so think about cream on your walls to tie together the cabinets and the counter.

If on the other hand you do not not have furniture grade cherry and you just have dark flat monochromatic cabinets I vote for dove white to tie everything together.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

IMO white kitchens are timeless but I do however believe if you want to paint the cabinets have it done in a proper paint shop where the finish is done in steps to make sure it lasts. As for the”cherry” quite often this is just a color not a wood and I for one dislike the color it casts a pink tone to everything around it.Where I live refacing means keeping the same layout but changing the door and drawer fronts or attaching a laminate or veneer to them. As for color i would use the same as the trim