"Crappy" situation! Remedies for a toilet that sticks too far out from wall.
Liz
Any ideas other than breaking the floor up & moving the plumbing on what I can do here. I think since I special ordered the toilet that its non-refundable. I'm thinking maybe just hang a shelf right above it with some decorations on top to help hide it?
Liz
Forgot to mention with the lid it sticks out about 4".
March 5, 2013 at 9:36PM   
Ironwood Builders
Liz, Is there a drywall ceiling below? Moving the flange from below is an option and with the rectangular base of your Kohler Memoirs toilet, the tile you need to remove and the subsequent void will not be an issue. The sub-floor can be fixed from below as well. Cutting, patching, gluing, blocking. All in a days work. Except the re-paint....
March 5, 2013 at 10:27PM     
Liz
I'm in ca. This is on the first floor & we are on a concrete slab. There was a toilet here before & it didn't have a gap? You can kinda see here in the pic
March 5, 2013 at 10:33PM   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I would bite the bullet and move it back against the wall.

Otherwise, you can build a drywall box behind it, but it always looks amateur to do that. I'd move the plumbing.
March 5, 2013 at 10:48PM     
Ironwood Builders
Well, crap is right. So it just got harder. Once again, we are thankful you have a Kohler Memoirs toilet with a nice big rectangular base. Anything done needs to stay within the confines of the side to side dimensions of the new toilet. Sorry. I can post tomorrow evening and help you then. I'm too tired to type a reasonable solution right now...long day at the office. Before I go to bed...how thick is the slab?

Oh..and while we have the toilet out...we need to raise the tank supply up above the baseboard. The flange (which we normally install before the angle stop is installed) will not cover the hole in the baseboard....and will stickup beyond the profile of the base.

I know that Yarbro explained that there is a standard in all 50 states...but not all toilets or plumbing rough-ins are standard. Looks like your old toilet was not standard...and your baseboard was shorter before your cosmetic remodel. Do you have a plumber?
March 5, 2013 at 10:55PM   
orangecamera
If the previous toilet fit properly, then there's a replacement that will fit properly. Measure the distance from the wall to where the bolts are in the floor. That's your "rough in size". Standard sizes are 10", 12" and 14". It looks to me like you just ordered one that's the wrong size.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, take a look at homedepot.com and search for toilets. Once you choose the type (2-piece), there will be a category in the gray column on the left of the page. Scroll down until you see "rough in size" and pick what matches your measurement.
March 5, 2013 at 11:00PM     
Eagledzines
I wonder if the plumber put it there because there was a framing problem. Certainly seems odd. I too was wondering if building out a box might be a reasonable solution at this point. If it can be done, I think Ironwood's suggestion is the best one.
March 5, 2013 at 11:02PM   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Liz, I gave poor advice and deleted my comment. Orangecamera is correct
March 6, 2013 at 7:26AM   
Liz
Thanks everyone. I'm going to check my receipt & hopefully be able to return. They didn't ask me about a size when I ordered the toilet. I guess I assumed there was only 1. Aiyayaya. Gotta love remodeling!
March 6, 2013 at 7:49AM   
Liz
So my rough in is 10". Good news is they will take it back. Bad news is the memoirs doesn't come in a 10". I have the memoirs sink. Is it gonna look funny if I have to get a different kohler a model. The high line is an option. The room is separate by a door from where the sink is so I'm thinking it will be fine. As far as my slab thickness I have no idea. Haha. I'm sure it's a standard California cracked slab! Lol. I do have a plumber and I think he took the easy way out with cutting a hole in the baseboard rather than moving the plumbing.
March 8, 2013 at 9:53AM     
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Youll be fine ;)
March 8, 2013 at 9:59AM     
orangecamera
Liz, I'm glad the store will take back the toilet. Having a different model won't make a difference, you won't see the two together anyway. As far as the baseboard and the supply line...something has to be done to get that looking better. There's no shoe molding behind the toilet, I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it looks "wrong" to me. Which was there first, the plumbing or the baseboard?
March 8, 2013 at 10:00AM   
Liz
The plumbing. We installed new baseboard.
March 8, 2013 at 10:01AM   
Liz
Oh ya the molding isn't done yet
March 8, 2013 at 10:04AM   
Liz
I guess once I get the right size toilet we can get a better idea where the water line should be move to??? Does that sound right?
March 8, 2013 at 10:06AM   
orangecamera
It will be much easier to put the shoe molding in place while the toilet isn't there. Not sure how you can fix the size of the hole where the supply line in coming through. You need some sort of cover for it, but as Ironwood Builders pointed out, the standard flange won't do the trick here.
March 8, 2013 at 10:08AM   
Liz
I'll make my contractor take that piece of baseboard out and put a new one in.
March 8, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Eagledzines
It's difficult to see but is that a shower enclosure that the baseboard butts to? Shoe molding can't wrap around a corner and if it was returned on itself it might leave an awkward hole to collect gunk. Maybe that's why it was left off?
When he replaces the baseboard, have him drill a neat hole (front to back, not reverse). If the plumber did it, I get it. Still needs replacement though.
March 8, 2013 at 10:24AM   
Liz
Yes that is a shower. I'm so confused now. Ha! Who knew a stupid toilet would be so difficult. My bro in law is a plumber. He lives a couple hours a way but I'm going to make him come up and make sure this is being done right.
March 8, 2013 at 10:46AM   
Ironwood Builders
Liz, Good idea with the BIL. He may have a way to solve the Memoirs issue without too much trouble...I know it would take me a few hours to get it done and then some patch and repair to finish..Just dirty and messy and no fun. Regarding the toilet supply....moving the plumbing up out of the baseboard is the best finish solution. We just did it on a job (my plumber had a brain freeze in the mudroom bath and put it too low). Remove the angle stop, take out the base board, channel up the drywall and extend the pipe. A block to anchor the elbow and patch the drywall. Put the new baseboard in and repaint. Put an escutcheon on the new copper, install an new angle stop and hook up the toilet...if your BIL has got that ready.

One brainstorm idea to pass by your BIL. Toto makes a Unifit flange adapter for changing the rough in location. See if he is familiar with them and if there is enough room under the Memoirs to make it work. It may not as it is for Toto and you have a Kohler...but then the suite of fixtures matches.
March 8, 2013 at 11:10AM   
orangecamera
I'm not sure the plumbing is the problem here. You said you ordered the toilet (didn't say that a plumber ordered it for you). It's the contractor who put in the baseboard who should have alerted you to the issue with the supply line. They probably cut the hole that large for the handle to fit through.

I *think* (I'm not a plumber) that you can shut off the water before that valve - maybe to the whole house - and then you can take the handle off behind the toilet, and use a much smaller hole in the replacement baseboard. That will be much less costly than moving the plumbing, and after a week or so you won't even notice it coming through the baseboard anymore.

If you can't use shoe molding all the way around, it will probably look better not to have it at all. Just make sure the joint with the floor is caulked well (silicone?).
March 8, 2013 at 11:11AM   
Liz
So just to make sure I'm understanding. If I get a completely new toilet with the correct rough in my only issue would be the location of the supply line? Right? I hate the look of baseboard without molding. Looks so unfinished. Thanks for all your help everyone.
March 8, 2013 at 11:18AM   
Ironwood Builders
Right, the new toilet will fit and the supply line can move up to be out of the base board. And you can have shoe mould installed.
March 8, 2013 at 11:53AM     
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Liz, have you checked out the Kohler Devonshire toile? Scratch that idea, I remember having the same problem before and the Highline was the only one with a 10" rough-in.
March 8, 2013 at 11:56AM     
Liz
Perfect that's what I'm going to do then!
March 8, 2013 at 12:05PM   
msharma419
Hi, I'm in the same situation and was curious about what you did for the solution? Do you have any pictures to share? Thanks!
July 31, 2014 at 10:54AM   
Liz
We ended up special ordering a kohler toilet that had a different flange size. I think that's what it's called. They only made one toilet this sizw so it doesn't match the sink exactly but I doubt anyone but me knows that. It's still a little but further from the wall then normal but no where near as bad as before. I'll take pics later.
July 31, 2014 at 11:28AM     
Liz
Looks like it's called a "rough in" not flange.
July 31, 2014 at 11:29AM   
msharma419
Thank you, Liz! I would love to see the updated picture since I'm also trying to figure out what I need to do.
July 31, 2014 at 2:48PM   
Liz
Here's the pic
July 31, 2014 at 8:00PM   
Liz
I like how the this part turned out better :)
July 31, 2014 at 8:02PM   
msharma419
What a drastic difference! Your bathroom looks great. Thanks for sharing your solution, and I'm glad it worked out for you!
August 1, 2014 at 5:35AM   
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...
Need Advice! What other colors could I use in this color scheme?
Okay the color in this photo is a color scheme we are...
1940 Brick House needs Curb Appeal Facelift
We just bought this house. Need to add some curb appeal....
What kind of countertop is this in m/bath
What is the material on this countertop?
Reglazed tile
The tiles in my shower are stained and can't be cleaned....