Need help tying my living room furniture together
egwene35
I bought some furniture I really like for my library/living room, but I don't think the furniture is all tied together, can you recommend a color for throw pillows and maybe some other accents to tie the room together? I'm not great at mixing colors. I am moving the pictures above the couch to another wall. Thanks! I really appreciate any suggestions.
AMN
I like the color of the chairs. This room would look nice with a soft, simple color scheme. You could do pops of color, but I think it would look nicer with a serene combination. Namely, I would get patterned pillows that feature the chair color and put them on the couch.

The art over the couch should be in another room altogether. It does not work in this room.

Are you planning on purchasing side tables?
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 12:31AM
I agree with AMN - I think the room needs a serene combination.
Can you paint the walls a pale muted grey blue to bring out the colour and texture of your furniture.
On the ottoman place a large dark wooden tray and on it some art books and a small orchid.

On your small ottoman - also place about two large coffee table books that can be used to put drinks or books on for the small armchairs.

Whether or not you are going to draw curtains, you do need some framing for your windows, so even if they are fake, I would invest in some curtains with a square valance along the inset. For the sides, use roman blinds

The Mantelpiece could do with some silver framed pictures (about three on one side) - put the vase on the other.

Your shelf by the sofa needs to go and be replaced with something that hides the clutter and perhaps a clear glass side table with a large enough lamp to give light.
Above it, replace the three canvas paintings with one large one - probably an abstract but whatever one that has muted and calming colours

I also think the glass desk needs to go.

Wishing you the best for this lovely project
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 1:30AM
thislittlehouse
Positioning of furniture is also important: try placing the sofa opposite the fireplace (where the white bookshelf is currently) and place your two arm chairs either side of the fireplace, on a slight angle. You just need the front legs of the furniture to be on the rug.

The glass desk could maybe find a new home elsewhere.

The white bookshelves could live on the wall where the sofa is now.

I would go for a soft blues for the cushions and ornaments. Stick to a muted blue and cream colour palette, but feel free to mix patterns and textures for interest.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:15AM
anthip
I agree your sofa should face the fireplace with chairs flanking the fireplace and bookcase where sofa is now. You could use the desk as a sofa table behind the sofa (if it's not too big) with some nice lamps on.
4 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 6:14AM
I also agree the furniture looks great together. Here is an example with a mix of patterns and a draw from the blues and grays of the sofas.

1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 6:21AM
egwene35
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try moving the couch across the fireplace. I already bolted the large bookshelves to the wall so I can't move those around. I hired a decorator to pick furniture/colors that would go with the yellow walls (I love that the room is so bright) and design the layout, but something about the room is off. What should I put against the couch wall if I move the couch?
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 6:53AM
The room is looking good. I think the art is a problem - too harsh, too colorful, hard frames and hung too high. Try the tufted hassock as a bench at the large window and eliminate the little white one. I'd also remove the shelf in the corner by the sofa. Soft colored throws, pillows and some good looking floor lamps would help. Style the bookshelves with 1/3 books, 1/3 open space, 1/3 decor.
2 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 7:48AM
anne dee
Turn of the Century Cottage://www.houzz.comLiving Room in Sonoma Residence these pics suggest some nice pillow accessories for the blue sofa and some lively art for over the sofa.
4 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 8:01AM
Aggie Purvinska
The sofa needs to face the fireplace with the ottoman parallel and the chairs at each end, a sofa table with lamps would be fantastic for the bulky back. two end tables. It's looking good, but the art is way too small, you can go with something much larger, and I mean MUCH.
4 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 8:09AM
Aggie Purvinska
you can put a console under the art, but it's not a requirement, a great piece will carry it's own weight.
4 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 8:15AM
Jennifer Wood
Man, I love all the wonderful advice. Some people are just gifted with a designing eye :)
4 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 8:26AM
egwene35
What kind of artwork would go on the wall? I want to keep the room feeling relaxed and comfy. Thanks for all the comments!
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:30PM
lmercure
perhaps some large personal black & white photos with thin frames, to keep it relaxed with a touch of elegance?
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:45PM
lmercure
And it's so easy to soften the look of the bookshelves by muting the colors and adding accent pieces. You're already on the right path, just a little tweaking!
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:48PM
7768
I like the feel of your room when you get it just right it will be wonderful! I like thistle house's idea to move the sofa facing the fireplace and have the two pretty blue side chairs dank the fireplace and face the sofa. You asked what you could put on the wall where the sofa is? Could you move the desk there and flank it with a desk side chair? It also would look good behind your sofa. I think a large painting in the soft colors you have would be nice if you keep the sofa where it is. If you have the desk there a grouping of 4 framed prints would be nice.
2 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:50PM
7768
Maybe something with more yellow and your blue would look better
2 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:58PM
Nancy Hehmann
I think you have a wonderful room. I too think you should choose a different piece of art . Either one large piece which could be a painting or photography or three larger pieces. If you want a piece that might go up in value check on the Park and West Galleries - they handle art from famous artists and they also have art shows on cruise ships. I have no afilliation with them.

Also, you can use the search engine on Etsy.com to find unique photography or a painting. Just use their search engine and input what you would like. It might be photography coastal or Paris, Venice, horses, lighthouse. Choose something you love; that makes you smile! Photography can be printed on canvas to use without a frame or you can mount the larger sizes and frame them.
Click on the links below. https://www.etsy.com/listing/104377526/art-photography-cockspur-island?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/104382760/americans-at-play-bicycles-on-a-sand-bar?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/104700682/tiny-sail-boat-at-sea-in-the?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/111963396/art-photography-of-iconic-diamond-head?
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:59PM
anne dee

Your room can stay relaxed with dark frames and the print/s of your choice. Art is very personal.
Only you can know what you like.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 5:12PM
anitajoyce
What color are the side chairs. Hard to tell for sure. Can you post a picture of the colors in the rug? How about a nice houseplant in the corner by fireplace.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 5:15PM
MyCraftWork, LLC
Good lighting can go a long way!
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 5:18PM
egwene35
The chairs are a steel/grayish blue. And here is a picture of the rug that I got from the website. I am not home yet to take a picture.
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 5:40PM
egwene35
The chairs compliment the rug.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 5:40PM
anitajoyce
Pillows with blue and tan, blue and yellow would look nice to tie all the furniture together. Try bold prints, a solid color, stripes, flowers or another design that you like.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 5:43PM
euniceself
contrasting colors compliment each other. you have yellow walls. I would suggest a large floral painting on the wall. with yellows and lavender or purple flowers in small amounts I have some throw pillows that have large yellow flowers that would go great with the decor.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 6:00PM
Rosemarie
Beautiful furniture, nice choice. Love the softness , light and the yellow paint! The sofa table is a great statement too with the right accessories. The small table and little cube are not proportionate. I think what you are feeling "just not right" is the proportions that are off. Enlarge the pictures, lamps and decor in the bookcase. Stay with the blues and yellow, bring some yellow down to the sofas and chairs in differrent patterns of yellow and white---white matching the rooms trim. Look for some interesting large scale silver or mercury lamps and accessories. Maybe a chinese blue garden seat as a end table between/by the chairs. The sconces are fine but if you are wanting to change them out there are some beautiful 18 to 22" long slender triangular silver and crystal sconces for a little dazzel :) I wouldn't do a thing to the windows but enjoy their light. You have good bones there, you're going to love your room!
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 6:29PM
mk69
I love that glass desk and I wonder if you may have room for it behind your sofa in its new position. I've done that before and it can look good. It sort of functions like a sofa table but can work as your desk. Especially if you have a cool stool or two to slide under it. You just have to keep it pretty uncluttered.
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 6:42PM
jjandhk
I love your room, and furniture also. You have many beautiful suggestion already given. I also was wondering if you could positions the sofa facing the FP, with the lovely glass desk behind it as a sofa table, with lamps. And also, the 2 arm chairs flanking the fireplace.

I know you already had the bookcase bolted to the wall, however, if you move your sofa as suggested, I think your room will be off-balance; too heavy looking on the sofa/bookase end. I would really like to try the bookcase on the wall where the sofa is now. And then some large art, as suggested above, on the wall where the bookcase is now; or...you could possible try the glass desk under the art there also.

I always like to try things out and live with it a day or two; and then arrange and rearrange about 10 more times before it feels right for me. So, I don't bolt, or put nails in the wall until I've tried them all!
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 7:01PM
tt67
I love the room. I would add some wood accents...maybe side tables. I'd keep the colors serene because it has such a comfy feel as is. I would add pattern and texture in the pillows, though. So, maybe stripes or prints ...but no color pop. A luxurious throw could make the space even more cozy.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 7:15PM
anthip
7768 - in your second post I love hte right hand painting. Do you have any info on that?
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 7:57PM
7768
Anthip, I am sorry I do not have any information on the painting. I add paintings to my photos when I see something I like.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 3:27PM
AMN
anthip: Here's info on that painting and its artist. http://www.saatchionline.com/rodneyblack
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 3:34PM
7768
Great, how did you find out who the artist was? Wonder where I saw it when I saved it?
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 6:02PM
egwene35
Thanks for the suggestions! I rearranged my furniture over the weekend and the space looks so much better. Now it's time to focus on artwork and other decorating pieces.
2 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 4:46PM
It's a Beautiful World!
If you are ready to choose art for your space, please visit our art site, there is a search box you can use to enter a color or a subject you may be interested in, or you can just browse our galleries: http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 5:31PM
ARTCHAUCER art gallery
Have you considered what a strong and diverse collection of art would do to the room? You can "collect" art online and with any luck sell it when it's time to pay for the next remodel. Seriously though, it's fun to collect art and you may find some great deals once you start looking.
0 Likes   November 18, 2014 at 1:39PM
katieyovin
I think you definitely should try to move the larger couch facing the fireplace and moving the chairs in front of that to see what kind of look it gives you! Also, maybe adding a pop of some sort of color will give this room a little more of an edge that it needs! Good luck and I hope it turns out great!
0 Likes   November 18, 2014 at 2:09PM
Need help tying my dining & living rooms together
Need help on my art wall (have blk&wht family photos...
Annette
HELP! Need help tying everything together in cottage living room
Main colors are yellow, aqua, and coral, with lime...
grandmam
need help for my living room and dinning room(together)
It will be 8 meters long with 4 meters wide and it...
gogakasta
Need help putting my living room together!1
I need help pulling my items together. What do I need?...
cchannpraseut
Need help pulling together my living room, defining a style
We are in a small rental for 2 years, after getting...
Devi
Grout gone wrong
How difficult is it to remove grout? Our contractor...
Trudy Chafe
Converting 2BHK to 3BHK
We are planning to buy a new apartment which is a 2BHK...
akshayapradeep
Holy bathroom
I am moving into a condo. It is a rental so I am limited...
nadiagravely
Bar like table
Condo has this table owner built as add on to the bar....
ydubois
Redecorate bronze (pale avocado) bathroom
Hello all, I hope I can get ideas from you. We just...
luana_archo