Need help with choosing fabrics for reupholstering project
Julie Blake
Wall color, curtains and first chosen fabric are below...want to pick fabrics (maybe some the same as the fabric below) for a total of four wingback chairs and a colonial high back settee. Floor is wide board heart of pine. This is the front parlor in a 1778 centerhall colonial. Trying to go for a 1778 meets 2013 style!
rinqreation
What is the question? (if there is any)
March 6, 2013 at 9:24AM   
Julie Blake
Looking for ideas for upholstery fabrics for the three other wingback chairs and the colonial highback settee...I don't really love the idea of all matching upholsteries.
March 6, 2013 at 9:27AM   
dianahb
I think she needs help with choosing fabrics for a reupholstering project.

Personally, I'd pick out something in the tan family, or soft taupe-- both of which would be pretty against that green and the patterned fabric. I'm also a big fan of deep blue (cobalt or navy), which might be nice against this and would move you away from so much pastel, too-- maybe on the settee-- or pillows?? Or pick the deepest blue that's in that patterned fabric.

Difficult to make suggestions without seeing it all out, and the chairs, too.
March 6, 2013 at 9:29AM   
Julie Blake
thanks...tan or grey have been high on my list...I wish I could show you more but it is only a work in progress at the moment! The settee is the first picture...and the wall color, curtains and two of the wingback chairs are shown in the second...sorry for the christmas theme it was all I had!
March 6, 2013 at 9:42AM   
Julie Blake
The rug needs to be replaced
March 6, 2013 at 9:43AM   
dianahb
Oh, I see. Yes-- the green color that's on the wall now is the one you're keeping? It looks a bit softer than the sample you showed. I like that. So, yes-- I was going to say a soft warm gray, but I say that so much on here, that I sound like I like no other color. But the right gray just seems to go so well with soft greens (or just about anything). Those are pretty chairs. I love the settee, too. So the settee is not in the same room with the sofa and wingback chairs, or is it?

You have some nice colors in those curtains, so you could pick out a color that was in that, too. Again, I'd probably go with soft tans and grays- (soft taupe, or soft taupe-gray or green-gray). I think any of those would work. Again, I'd pull in a deep blue, too-- somewhere-- but that's just me. Love those wide heart pine floors-- and all the presents spilling over everywhere, and the fancy blue dress. ;)

My issue is finding great looking fabrics. I always have in my head what I want, but then the search for the perfect fabrics seems never-ending.
March 6, 2013 at 10:47AM   
Julie Blake
Yes the color I put up was what Sherwin Williams told me my original "five pine needle" color was called today...but they are a little different. The settee is not in the same currently...we are moving around a lot of items to make the space more useful for our lives now versus when we moved in 8 years ago...girls now want their own rooms for instance! I love the deep blues as well...would you bring that in the rug perhaps or just the pillows? I know what you mean about finding fabrics, I think I hurt my wrist repetitively scrolling through websites looking!
March 6, 2013 at 11:01AM   
dianahb
Yes; I think you could bring in deep blues, in the rug and the pillows. I suppose the settee needs a pattern? Too big for a solid color? I'm not sure. I've found great fabrics, on a remnant table, at a local fabric store (Printers Alley-- not sure if that's regional or not)-- but one was a cobalt blue mohair. So beautiful-- but only just enough to cover a small chair, which I had and did. I picked up that deep color elsewhere in a couple of pillows and even in a small painting. I also found a beautiful silk, again, just enough to cover some cushions on a chair-- but sometimes you can find what are often prohibitively expensive fabrics on remnant tables-- where they've marked them down considerably-- that are great for smaller chairs or pillows. I don't know-- I just try to find colors that blend well with each other, and then bringing in a color (like cobalt blue, for instance) that's totally unexpected-- but also meshes surprisingly well-- just seems to add a pop of color that works perfectly with all those softer tones.
March 6, 2013 at 11:41AM   
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Need help for my kitchen
Hi, we just bought a house,with terracotta floor, i...
Is it even worth it? Screen porch and return on investment. I'd love y
I would really like a screened in porch. We have an...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...