Getting ready to sell my house, can't decide what color to paint the walls
Beverly Holt
March 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
our home is only 1007 sq ft, so i want to paint the walls the best color to make the house look bigger, i painted the living room and dinning room moonlit snow, but everyone says it too stark, i need more earthy tones, i am not good at picking colors, i need some advice. or should i leave it white because most times the buyer will want to pick their own colors???
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
Always a white or very light color when selling. Buyers don't want to have to repaint or buy new furniture. WAtch the HGTV show designed to sell they.make great points about staging. Property brothers now have a new show too called Buying,Selling. They stage and update as needed to sell a house and find a new home for the people. Look online to see what your competition has in their homes. And make sure all wallpaper and borders are gone If you post pics I am sure the HOUZZ community will help too.
March 6, 2013 at 9:52am   
Beverly Holt
thanks so much, thats why i had decided to paint the white, but i was second guessing myself when i had a few friends telling me it was wrong, its was too stark. i am going to leave it the moonlit snow, thank you again. i love this web site, so much help. after we sell this house we plan on building a much bigger home in the country, i can't wait.
March 6, 2013 at 10:22am   
Melissa Wykes
They might have said it was stark because it's a cool color. One of the neat things about different colors is that they are all varied combinations of red, green and blue. This creates warm colors (more red), cool colors (more blue), and neutral (balanced). moonlit snow probably had more blue tones, so it will give a colder feel. A light color is definitely the way to go, but be aware if its a cooler color (less inviting) or it's warmer, which will feel cozier and more inviting. Go with a beige that is slightly warm, but not too yellow, or a grey beige that is neutral.
March 2, 2014 at 8:27pm   
decoenthusiaste
You probably did go to the cool side of white, and warmer tones will be a better choice for the market. Be careful of too much blue undertone making things cool or too much red making them pinky.
March 2, 2014 at 8:42pm