Help for ugly hardwood floors
kdgarner
I bought my house new six years ago and it had light maple hardwood flooring. I despise the floors and want to take them darker. I am on a budget and need help on how to and what to do. Help!!!!
Rockin' Fine Finish
You can rent all the equipment and do it your self but its not easy you have to do lots of homework before starting
March 6, 2013 at 12:08PM   
Marilyn Wilkie
Are these solid maple floor boards or is there a thin veneer of maple on the top of the boards. I can't see any finish on your floor. They don't look very good for only 6 years old.
March 6, 2013 at 12:14PM     
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Refinishing a floor is a job for pros it is very easy to mess up. If the floor is sanded (and if like previously mentioned it is not a thin veneer on a substrate) then it can be stained almost any color you want.
March 6, 2013 at 12:35PM     
redheadedwmn
Sanded and stained my 1950's hardwood this past summer. Did the entire house (1200 sq ft). Went from "honey" color to ebony and it was lots of work, but I saved a ton of money. If you feel confident in DIY, then I would suggest trying it out. Youtube has lots of videos to look at for DIYers. Rented the sanders from Home Depot and (4 people) spent the entire day sanding. Once sanded, we stained room by room (using a rag, wiping on by hand). The ebony was dark enough that it only needed one coat. Then did 3 coats of varnish on top. Applied with the lint free wipe pad that attached to a boom handle. First pic is just after sanding was completed and the second is after the stain was applied. Make sure the hard wood it thick enough to handle a good sanding to remove the coats of poly and stain you already have down. Totally doable if you want to spend the time!
March 6, 2013 at 1:01PM     
Marilyn Wilkie
redheadedwmn, your floor looks great. What type of sander did you rent. Was it a drum type sander or an occillating one? We will be doing about 800 sq. ft. of oak but think the occilating type may be better for a DYI job. Too easy to goof and dig a gouge with the drum sander. Of course, with both you need to use an edger.
March 6, 2013 at 1:18PM   
calikym
Paint or dye them. But you need someone to use the right paint or dye. They will look awesome again and it's cheap.
March 6, 2013 at 1:20PM   
googoomom
They have a group here that comes in and resurface the floors (sandless machine no mess) and then washes it down. After it dries they put a fast drying poly. My 16 yr. old floors look like new!
Paid $187.00 for 2 coats on 250 sq. feet. Said to last 10 yrs...
March 6, 2013 at 1:24PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
How do they wash hardwoods and how do they resurface with out sanding?
March 6, 2013 at 1:27PM     
googoomom
FabulousFloorsUSA.com.....their on UTube also.
March 6, 2013 at 1:41PM   
Straight A Builders, Inc.
Putting a dark stain on maple can be tricky. If not done right it will be blotchy. I think the photos redhead posted are of an oak floor.
March 6, 2013 at 2:41PM   
14thstreet
I agree-first try to find out if they are solid maple or just veneer and you'll know if you can refinish them properly. With maple, I wouldnt try going dark. I would choose a warm medium tone as to not lose the luminosity of the maple. It wouldn't hurt to get a bid from a professional so you know what you're dealing with before you make assumptions.

]
March 6, 2013 at 2:47PM     
redheadedwmn
Marilyn Wilkie - we used a drum sander (with the attached sandless bag) and edger. We have both oak and pine (pine is pictured) and they turned out nice. I was worried the oscillating one would leave "swoosh" marks and figured the drum would go "with the grain" of the wood.

If you are thinking of doing it yourself, kdgarner, maybe try a small area first (inside a closet for example) and test out your sanding/staining ability.
March 7, 2013 at 2:24PM     
nFORMAL design
I didn't read everything, but first, let me say this. EVERYONE is on or has a budget. Not to sound like a snobby professional (because we do stuff that is on the down and dirty sometimes just to see how creative we can get), but if you were on an unlimited budget, the chances are you wouldn't be posting in Design Dilemma...you'd have already hired someone.

That being said...your budget has to be realistic. If you don't account for the price of having it done correctly and remember overruns, it can be a budget nightmare. I would suggest that flooring should be done right or not done at all. Staining/dying floors to get them right isn't really a good DIY job.

My suggestion is to get three or four quotes from floor refinishers...and interview them. Whichever you think is the best fit, then go with him/her. If it is out of your budget, save that project for a later time when you can budget it and get it done correctly.
March 7, 2013 at 2:31PM     
mousemaker
i have light maple floors that were sanded by a professional. the floors were uneven and badly damaged by the carpeting and linoleum..but the flooring that has been exposed to sunlight has acquired a wonderful warm quality and i suggest you wait after you have the floors sanded..if you stain them something dark you might be sorry..it will seem l ike you live in a cave. light floors are wonderful!
they accent a room and make everything look better.
March 7, 2013 at 2:32PM   
Duxborough Designs
Maple is very hard and close grained, and will not readily take a stain like oak. From the picture I would say it is solid maple. If you do, use Minwax stain conditionaer first to enure even stain penetration. Then use a lively bright medium color of stain, figure on two coats to get the color depth. Getting Maple very dark is hard, best left to professional.
March 7, 2013 at 5:06PM     
kdgarner
The floors are solid maple wood flooring. There is additonal bundles of the wood in our attic. I truly think that my floors were finished poorly in the building process. My husband feels that only one coat of poly was applied. My floors look DIRTY all the time. Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions.
March 8, 2013 at 2:47AM     
Have you tried the Bona line of hardwood floor care? My floors were a disaster when we moved in, and now they look amazing. Bona floor cleaner, and then several coats of Bona polish. They won't turn darker but they will shine and look healthy.
March 8, 2013 at 3:02AM   
kdgarner
Yes, I have used the Bona line on my hardwoods. I get a little shine, but the floors still look awful!
March 8, 2013 at 3:08AM     
Marilyn Wilkie
I agree that they really skimped on the finish coats for your floor. I would not be happy about that either, especially since it would take a little bit of time before it would be noticeable and the builder is long-gone. One thing about dark floors is that they tend to show the dust and scratches much more than light floors. If you have kids and pets that may be a consideration. Maybe it isn't the color of the floors that you hate but the lack of finish. Maple is a very hard wood but maybe you could get away with a light sanding and several coats of a good finish. Please let us know what you decide. Maple floors are a step above many other flooring options.
March 8, 2013 at 5:31AM     
Kitchen flooring?
Need help matching oak(gold) wood cabinets. What...
Picture gallery around tv
I need some advice for this arrangement of pictures....
add crown molding to "knock down" walls and ceilings.??
All walls and ceilings have been painted with "knock...
Paint color for dark room
My family room, breakfast room and kitchen face N N/W....
Need to warm this space up
I need a little help. This space needs some design....