Need help with my Living/Dining Space!
juliabeeger
It's my first condo and I am stuck with these diagonal walls which make it a bit hard to decorate around. My thoughts were to have a sectional along the window and sliding door area, not really sure about anything else. Please help! I love entertaining so having seats for everyone is a must.
lhampton70
Begin by lightening up the wall color! In placing furnishings, try to keep window area open and airy! Add plants and smaller pieces of furniture rather than large sectional.
March 6, 2013 at 12:23PM   
dessert
Hi,
I would place a couch in front of the window and two slipper chairs facing the couch. On your diagonal wall you can add a small narrow bookshelf or a gallery wall. Add to seating options with small ottomans.
March 11, 2013 at 7:19PM   
studio10001
julia, is that a fireplace, and is it functional?
March 11, 2013 at 7:30PM   
chickinvic
I actually like the wall colour. For seating I like dessert's suggestions. Beautiful condo by the way!
March 11, 2013 at 7:31PM   
studio10001
Assuming both to be true, you have room for a sofa under that window, but not a sectional.
Either a bench or ottoman style coffee table will give you double duty in a pinch.
A divan/chaise angled into the room, or backless sofa will offer maximum seating on the other side of the fireplace,and depending on your choice there, you might have room for a chair to the right.
I would not recommend slipper chairs, as they are low to floor, and extremely uncomfortable for any length of time.
If you purchase with an eye toward using some of these pieces at a dining table, you'll maximixe your space even further.
March 11, 2013 at 7:48PM   
studio10001
As to your dining area, most small home owners(I once moved 18 times in one year into spaces smaller than yours) find themselves in need of storage more than anything else. Look at that space accordingly. Bookcases with a narrow footprint and as much height as you can find, dressers that double as buffets during parties, dining room tables that move up and down (hello, I'm a coffee table/ hello I'm a dining table? hello I'm extra prep space).or unfold to become bigger tables for Thanksgiving dinner(my personal choice) and work/stations will help. If you REALLY do big gatherings a folding metal buffet that will live under sofa will become your very good friend. Look for a long one with legs that unfold, not the kind that folds in half on itself.
March 11, 2013 at 8:02PM   
studio10001
Your large pieces, once chosen, will determine your smaller accent pieces. A place to set a drink by every seat is important, but on days when its just you, those same pieces can be your step stool, a ceramic garden seat for the terrace, a file cabinet on legs..the idea is to make every single thing multifunctional. Ikea has some videos that may get extra ideas going for you here beyond these suggestions. as well
March 11, 2013 at 8:09PM   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Beautiful floor! ;) BTW, what is this discussion about?
March 11, 2013 at 8:09PM   
studio10001
outfitting teeny spaces for lots of activity,Yarbro.
By the time you have made the above choices, your color scheme will at least begin to make itself known. Try and hold off on soft good decisions until your furniture choices are nailed down. It will make things easier and faster in the long run, as will picking a paint color after soft goods. Hope this helps.
March 11, 2013 at 8:14PM   
HI -- Congrats on your first new place. If you have a sofa get a small one perhaps with a lounge end. But I would not get a sofa . I think you would be better off with lounge chairs . Two matching in front of the window and then a different one to the right of the patio door . Two matching storage ottomans that can match the chair or be another fabric. Then the other chair can have a smaller ottoman .Keep the style more tailored with square arms and with exposed legs on all or just the stand alone chair. Then have side tables (one nesting set) and lamps and even one floor lamp.So with the three chairs and three ottomans ,that is seating for 6 people . Get an expandable or drop leaf dining table and 4 to 6 stacking chairs , Then across a small narrow console table where you can sit to use as a desk etc. You could have two more small storage ottomans for under the console when not using as the desk.. Or for the dining area you could use a bench or another storage ottoman (long one ) against the wall with the table in front and then your chairs. With this you will have lots of seating and lots of storage . This being your fist place this will always be special !
March 11, 2013 at 8:18PM   
studio10001
Thanks, lefty, added support always appreciated.
March 11, 2013 at 8:26PM   
juliabeeger
studio10001
julia, is that a fireplace, and is it functional? Yes it is... i think its pretty ugly, but it works!
March 12, 2013 at 12:41PM   
juliabeeger
Thank you everyone for your comments! I am getting some great idea's!
March 12, 2013 at 12:44PM   
Need decorating ideas for my living/dining room space.
I have a very large living/dining room space and I...
Need help! Living/Dining 13' x 20' space
I'm moving into a new apartment and currently shopping...
Need help for living/dining space
This is a large open room, divided by the different...
Need help designing living/dining space
Hi All! For years, I've moved quite often and never...
Please help! Need design ideas for formal living/dining spaces
Hi Houzzers! I NEED YOUR HELP! We moved into our...
Create modern exterior
Hi there, we are planning a major remodel of our 1930's...
Imbed electrical outlet strip into quartz counter
I'd like to have an outlet strip imbedded into the...
Brick bungalow begging for a worthy colour scheme.
As you can see from my attached photo, I have a redish...
Ask for wall paint color suggestions
Hi, We're renovating our 1st floor. Kitchen + eating...