I need advice on a new wall colour please!
tmachuik
March 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What colour(s) would go well with blinds, wood and furniture? Greys? Browns? Are feature walls still a thing to do?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Feature or accent walls work, but I prefer them to be solid with no openings an maybe a fireplace. Speaking of which, yours seems massively overscale and crowds the flanking windows. If is more than a focal point, it is the elephant in the room. Painting it would only increase its visual footprint. Would you consider a little liposuction or demo and remo on it? As for colors to paint I'd start with a beautiful colored and patterned rug from which to draw my inspiration and colors, accent and others.
Browse around at homedecorators.com to get inspired.
March 6, 2013 at 12:42PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I have given up on feature walls, and prefer to go all the way around a room. Right now the current trends are greys or blues - either of which (in muted tones) would work beautifully in this room. However, please do paint your ceiling a tone or two lighter if you can.

I think you could also use the opportunity to move the furniture around if possible but without a bigger picture, it is hard to guide you. All the best for this project.
March 6, 2013 at 12:42PM   
PRO
Cabell Design Studio
Hello tmachuik,

Featured walls are still around, but you have a lot of additional texture in this room and may not need to add another layer, like a featured wall. You might think about keeping the room warm, but neutral which would bring together the chairs, the mantle (which is lovely!) and the brown wood floor and rug. In fact, without the red you would see the floor, which is also quite a pretty plane.

Try Benjamin Moore Carrington Beige or Monroe Bisque... see a few examples for inspiration:

Dining Room

Eclectic living rooms from livingetc

Franklin Street House

Art Studio

Best of luck with your decorating and please let us know if we can be of any assistance,

Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
Cabell Design Studio
March 6, 2013 at 1:05PM