Kitchen island ideas
Joe
We want to change the shape of the island so will need a new top for the island only. Ideas for colors and materials? We are also going to paint the walls a warmer but neutral color.
mrstinylady
How about moving it against the right corner opposite of fridge and getting a different color countertop with extra wideth or two tiered for seating this side of the counter. http://kitchensofdenver.reachlocal.net/countertops/?utm_source=ReachLocal&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=ReachLocalSearch
March 6, 2013 at 5:44pm     
Kim D
Can't you ask a granite fabricator to cut the same granite slab into the shape of your new island. I'm guessing once you have the slab removed you can unscrew the cabinets that make the angle, have the counter top recut and replaced and then you are back in business!.
March 6, 2013 at 5:55pm   
JDM Countertops, Inc.
It is not that easy to remove and recut an existing granite piece after it's installed, especially when there are cut outs in it, which create weak spots. This one appears to have a cook top in it.

I agree with mrstinylady, I would suggest a completely different material on the island top. Something with a contrast to your existing rather than trying to match. A quartz may be nice or a granite with some movement and interest and on the lighter side.

I'll post some pictures when I get back to my computer.
March 6, 2013 at 6:24pm   
mk69
I know you asked for advice re:stone and shape but I have to tell you that my friend has almost this same kitchen and she has a playful, cherrry red wall with this combination and it looks very clean and fresh.
March 6, 2013 at 6:45pm   
Mega Builders
How about a butcher block as the island's top.
March 6, 2013 at 7:00pm   
nikitasmom
You mentioned only changing the countertop. Can it be brought out more into the room? Also this image has an example of a nice countertop to mix with your black.
March 6, 2013 at 7:45pm   
Lkristine
I wouldn't even replace the island, I would paint/stain it a contrasting yet complimentary color based on the rest of the room. Then, a countertop like this to just , the island , http://www.ciot.com/quebec/en/habitat/tiles/granite/classic/kashmir-white-granite/index.sn Paint the walls a neutral tan color, there are many to choose from. Add a runner rug in place of the small rug in front of the sink. And this just depends on taste........... A more subdued, yet still transitional...... http://www.arearugsusa.net/product-logos/originals/45279_2.jpg A little more bold, but still considered to be classic........ http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-hooked-Botanical-Black-Wool-Runner-26-x-6/3504508/product.html And if it is a possibility, add crown moulding too!
March 6, 2013 at 8:24pm   
Barbra Bright Design
Changing the shape of your island is a great idea. Your current island emphasizes your kitchen's angles. In terms of color--contrast would be nice, so consider a darker stain. For the counter, "frosty carrera" by ceasarstone would give you the look of marble. Replace, the wood knobs with satin nickel, or pewterish hardware. Remember, hardware is jewelry for your cabinets. Lastly, the space above your cabinets looks cluttered. Consider edititing a bit or up lighting. Have fun!
March 6, 2013 at 9:45pm   
mrstinylady
Can you post a floor plan of the entire room and adjoining rooms?
March 7, 2013 at 8:30am   
March 7, 2013 at 8:32am   
Rustica Hardware
March 7, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Make center island so you can put counter stools there. Make the top a soft color like pic on your comments. Pick up some of the black with other colors. Take a color from island granite . For walls. Another thing remove all clutter above cabinets. Not needed. Put lighting up there like rope lite.
March 7, 2013 at 12:37pm   
Need help on kitchen counters & island layout ideas
What to do about creating an eating area...we want...
Ideas for kitchen island and counters
Just moved to a new house. Knocked down a wall between...
Kitchen Layout Ideas Needed - Counter and Island
So we are starting a remodel project at our house....
Are you a big fan of glamping or camping?
I'm not a camping fan at all. I can't stand not knowing...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Kitchen top and bottom cabinets slightly different lengths
Which cabinet do I use to line up the back splash tile?...
Need ideas for landscaping an oval shaped pool.
Love the look of grass around a pool but not sure how...
Any suggestions on how to update the most hideous fireplace on the pla
Moving to a rented apartment and this is the fire place...