Need paint suggestions

Duncan WrightMarch 6, 2013
When I bought the condo it was painted a sunflower yellow and a dark chocolate. The colors are certainly vibrant and they do go with my decor. However it makes my place very dark. I'm looking to paint and I'm looking for suggestions. I just tiled the kitchen backsplash and I think I'm going to paint the wall color a light grey. Any help would be much appreciated.
Duncan Wright
More pics
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:14PM
Duncan Wright
More plus a photoshop of the grey I'm considering in the kitchen
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:16PM
Gretchen Maurer
I LOVE YOUR FLOORS!! I would make sure to take a lighter tone from them. to go from this yellow to grey may be too bland, I know grey is chic right now but use your floors as a guide it will flow....
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:22PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
The light gray will be fine..but you would need to replace those drapes with a much lighter color..off white, beige. Hang them at the ceiling (95" long) and off the window when open.That alone will change everything. Also change the living room rug..loose the dark border..get a lighter rug..with some pattern & color in it. Colorful pillows for sofa. THEN look at a new paint color because it will change everything. Gray may be wonderful..but there are blue grays or beige grays and these other items will help you determine which direction you want to go. Whatever you choose..I would not paint an accent wall..it is dark and it makes the space appear smaller. The gray is fine in the kitchen..but somewhere you need some color & pattern.
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:25PM
Duncan Wright
I have empire red kitchen aid mixer blender and processor. I just have the counters cleared for grouting. Believe it or not those curtains are 95 inches.... My condo has high ceilings
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:31PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I see and actually with the drop on the one wall it would not work anyway..it really is a great space. But you still need a lighter color drapery.
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:36PM
Duncan Wright
I actually just spent a lot of money on the drapes. Looking for color suggestions that work with what I have currently. But I do appreciate you taking the time to help :)
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:41PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
It's the brown drapes on the brown wall that doesn't work the most. I would look at (Photoshop) the light tan in your flooring and bring it onto the all walls in the living room. But then you need to add color colorful patterned pillows on your sofa, etc. and not just have a brown/beige or brown/gray house.
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:02PM
Duncan Wright
Ahh ok that makes more sense. I was thinking grey for the kitchen not the rest of the living area. What do you think about a creamy color? I think it would lighten things up and make the curtains fit better
1 Like    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:21PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
Great idea..then a "real" color & pattern here and there to make it feel more comfortable.
    Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 9:09AM
Glitter Somerset
I love the colors. I would change the curtains. I also notice the curtains are not hanging at the same height. Can you use the curtains in another room? Can you put a rug under your dining table?
    Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 9:28AM
Duncan Wright
When I paint the walls I will fix the height of the curtains so they are level. However it's challenging because the heights of the patio doorway and window are different
    Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 9:32AM
need paint suggestions for my exterior shutters, trim, & door
HELP! I desperately need help figuring out what is...
ddavis622
Need paint Suggestion!
Remodeling with shrimp/gray/rust granite counter tops,...
joannie22
Need paint suggestions for Southern Living Tideland Haven house plan
My husband and I are building the Southern Living Tideland...
Audley Loewen
Need paint suggestion
Hi everyone - moving into a house and working with...
Lauren Wilson
Need painting suggestions
We moved into this house with the kitchen almost completed...
afishk7
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Kitchen in front: old fashioned??
Most of the new homes I see feature the kitchen and...
acaba
Bedroom help needed please
Bought new nightstand, mercury glass lamps... trying...
Jlodyer
Help with too much black furniture.
I posted a similar question to this recently, but wanted...
pennywurst
Help on kitchen floor
We are in the middle of remodeling are kitchen. Are...
erinprzybylski