Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairhill

What to do with this space? What colors would go with dark brown?

clairhill
11 years ago
What should I do with this space color wise etc? It's such a big room??

Comments (5)

• AMN
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Would you please post more photos of the space so we can see all walls? You'll get more and better suggestions.

It appears that you need more furniture and a much larger rug for starters. End tables, coffee table, cozy chair, lamps, etc.

Take the shelving unit out of the corner angle. Either put it against the white wall or find another wall for it. With it blocking the view of the window, it distracts the eye.

Much larger piece of art should be hung over the fireplace. Measure the space above the firebox and look online for some pieces. http://www.etsy.com is a great resource for unique art.

Also, you need a shot of color. What color do you love? Pick a rug that has it in it, and use it to inform other choices (art, drapes, pillows, etc.).
  • Gretchen Maurer
    11 years ago
    is it long enough for two seating areas? put the tv flat on that right wall with the sectional closer facing it and some chairs floating in front of the TV??
  • clairhill
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some more photos thanks for the advice I have been thinking maybe to get an interior designer to come in to give some advice.
  • AMN
    11 years ago
    Getting a designer in there wouldn't hurt. You're almost starting from scratch in a few ways, and that can feel daunting!

I don't think it will take too much to make this into a great looking space. it's a nice room to start.
  • Callie Henrichs
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't hesitate to float that sofa more towards the center of the room with a nice extra large rug anchoring it. Then as another person mentioned, also two chairs flanking the fireplace. Having the sofa and the chairs facing each other. Behind the sofa I would use a sofa table. It will create a natural break and transition in the room defining the spaces. After looking at your photos, I would suggest lightening up the brown at the end of the room to more of a cappuccino brown with a lighter tan on the same color strip. I would also move the tv to the opposite wall, and move the bookcase to where the tv is now, but against the wall. Also, the chandelier needs to come down to right around 18: to 24" above the table to create the right lighting height. Hope this helps.