Need help with backsplash ideas
revans0721
Hi- I am finally ready to install a backsplash in my kitchen. My granite is Santa Cecila and I have light oak cabinets. I have stainless steel appliances. I would like something a little different and contemporary since the rest is pretty standard. I like the look of stainless tiles that is the last picture posted, that I took from another house I saw. I also like the look of glass tiles. Both of these I am thinking about subway tiles. I look forward to hearing ideas.
Modern Age Designs, LLC
I totally agree. But I probably would recommend the glass tiles instead of the stainless tiles, I would go with an off-white subway tile - either in glass or solid. It will also pick up the cream tone from the counter top.
Best of Luck.
March 6, 2013 at 7:51pm     
Overland Remodeling & Builders
We have just completed a kitchen with a similar countertop style, we have used 3x6 ginger color subway glass tiles for the backsplash.
March 6, 2013 at 8:41pm   
chonnie
I like Overland's suggestion of the subway tiles, however, for the grout, I think it stands out too much. Revans, your granite is very nice, so remember to focus on that, and the backsplash should be a complement and not draw the eye too much. Try to find one colour in your granite that you'd like to highlight.
March 6, 2013 at 8:51pm   
revans0721
Thanks for the quick responses. I like the glass that was posted but agree that the grout should blend in a little more.

I did also choose some off white glass tiles with the grout close to the tile color so it will look blended.

Thanks again. This is a great experience.
March 6, 2013 at 8:58pm   
revans0721
Update- I forgot I had pictures of the color samples and grout of the glass tile I picked out. The rectangle tile is just for color I would pick subway tile. The other sample is more of a sheet of tile. Let me know what you think. Thanks
March 6, 2013 at 9:02pm   
Island Stone
Our beach tile is offered in 4'x8' subways with a unique pocketed texture often described as "orange peel'esque". Definitely a different look from the norm. Diverse color palette available, but Frangipani might be close to what you are considering. http://www.islandstone.com/product-detail.php?id=17&keywords=Beach_Tile
March 6, 2013 at 9:13pm   
footdoc54
I would recommend stainless steel tiles. You can get them in all different types and styles. A texture element and light will be added. Lastly, it is easy to clean and maintenance!
March 6, 2013 at 9:15pm   
revans0721
Thanks for you helpful comments. I am curious about the stainless steel tiles do you think they are easy to clean. I have stainless appliances and I don't find they are that easy.
March 7, 2013 at 7:20pm   
footdoc54
Ease of maintenance tip: 409 to clean and remove spatter and then Goddards Stainless steel cleaner for a new finish look.
March 7, 2013 at 8:50pm   
Space & Place Interiors
Remember that the smaller your tiles, the more grout you will have. If you want to minimize the grout, you could go with larger subway style glass tiles (I am doing 4x12" in a kitchen now) and have your installer set them with minimal grout line, in a matching grout color if you don't want to highlight the lines. For a more contemporary look with the subway tile, you could also go with a straight/stacked bond pattern (shown below), where the tiles are lined up vertically and horizontally, instead of the offset running bond pattern like we see so often. You could even do them vertically instead of horizontally for a more contemporary style. I personally think the glass would be easier to clean than stainless, but if you are not a super "messy" cook then you are probably fine either way! :-) Good luck and show us what you choose!

April 22, 2014 at 8:43am   
saratogaswizzlestick
I have light maple cabinets and St.
Cecelia granite. I used the granite as my backsplash. It runs all the way to the bottom of the cabinets.
April 22, 2014 at 10:12am   
houssaon
Have you thought of mirror?

Here are some kitchens with your granite: Maple Kitchen Cabinets | Carlton Door Style | CliqStudios, Arlington, and Cherie & Sonya. Of these I like the creamy subway tiles the best.
April 22, 2014 at 10:20am   
Angel18432
What ever you choose, take samples home and look at it in different lights, daytime, evening etc. Don't rush into it - what you think might look ok in the showroom, doesn't always work. I would do something v simple as your counter is quite busy.
April 22, 2014 at 10:26am     
need help with easy to clean kitchen backsplash ideas
Dear houzzers, I am trying to design my kitchen keeping...
we need help with a an idea for our backsplash
We need to install a backsplash, before they finish...
Backsplash ideas? Need Help!
I'm lost; we will probably pick this granite but I...
Need help with backsplash ideas for kitchen
What backsplash would look good with attached countertop...
Need help with kitchen backsplash ideas.
We have white kitchen cabinets with light oak floors....
Exterior help?
Any suggestions for giving this home some style and...
Living room layout (just the 2 corners)
I put my big dresser in the middle of the big wall...
Kitchen lighting yea or nay?
Kitchen 99% done....12' vaulted ceiling with 6 recessed...
Designing a wood wall
I'm trying to get a nice design for a wall I want...
Bedroom makeover help needed
This bedroom needs a complete overhaul. (for sale pics)...