Grout colour for modern look?
princess_q
We are doing 3" x 6" white subway tile in a brick pattern. What colour grout should we use for a modern look?

We are also using a 1" x 1" glass tile. What colour grout should we use for this?

Is there a general rule for grout colours for a modern/contemporary look?
Ironwood Builders
princess_q! Good to see you back! On the grout for subway tile, it depends on how much you want the pattern to pop. And what works with the counters and cabinets. Traditionally grey grout was used, but "natural" has a greenish cast. A softer grey, like DeLorean may look better. Ask the tile installer for a grout sample deck, sort of like the painter's color deck...but a lot fewer choices! How goes the build? And the rest of it?
March 7, 2013 at 5:54AM   
Ironwood Builders
I seem to be only answering parts of posts this morning...need coffee! The grout color on glass tile is subjective...with many glass colors to choose from and an overall style to achieve...but the for the most part our glass tile jobs end up with a soft white or creamy white grout.
March 7, 2013 at 5:58AM   
0825sam
Here's a link to a recent discussion on grey vs white grout and all the shades in between
http://houzz.com/discussions/379177
March 7, 2013 at 6:04AM   
princess_q
Ironwood Builders: I wish you had warned me I was getting into some crazy stuff...lol. Although I am enjoying building and customizing this house to our likes and needs...its a lot of work!
March 7, 2013 at 3:09PM   
princess_q
I want a very calm and clean feel with the tiles. Not too busy. The subway tiles will be in a brick pattern. I think bright white grout colour might be nice and simple. Will the grout yellow or brown out? Will sealing the grout prevent this?
March 7, 2013 at 3:11PM   
Ironwood Builders
Work is FUN! Think when you are done...you won't know what to do with yourself...except for the bambino...that should take up some hours! By the time the house is finished you'll be all pro! We'll see you back here on Houzz, giving out pearls of hard won wisdom....
March 7, 2013 at 3:14PM   
Ironwood Builders
White grout is harder to keep clean...but on a backsplash it is easier. Yes, seal it and maintain your sealer. Minimizing the look of subway tile by color matching the grout is one option. It will definitely calm the pattern down. I've never had a wall grout that was sealed and maintained (cleaned regularly too) turn colors. Although...white grout on the floor...not so much.
March 7, 2013 at 3:19PM   
JDM Countertops, Inc.
Ironwood has pretty much hit the nail on the head no pun intended :) there is no real rule for a certain style with grout, but grays and neutrals are good to disappear into the background. If you really want your grout lines to disappear blend it as best you can with the tile. I always tell people to blur their eyes when looking at the samples to see what is blending the best.
March 7, 2013 at 3:25PM   
Stained Concrete vs Porcelain Tile on a new build.
Building my small home/cabin and am on the fence about...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...
Need advice for enhancing a very plain facade
Our house is very plain and boring. We are looking...