Need ideas for a backsplash.
mmbry
We are restoring the kitchen in our 150 year old home after flood damage. We've tried to work around and old chimney. The countertops turned out lighter than I'd hoped. Now trying to figure out a backsplash that will make the light gray countertop look like it belongs while at the same time distracting from it. Would like something that also goes well with the chimney. Am stuck.
onthefence
Sorry about your flood damage -- but I really love what you've done with your kitchen. It's beautiful!

I could picture a slate-look tile as your backsplash. I think the blues and greens in slate would neutralize the red of the wood and brick a bit. Plus there are often gray shades in slate which would accent your countertop.
March 7, 2013 at 11:03AM   
onthefence
I found this slate in an ideabook. I like the shades in this and it doesn't feel overly dark.

March 7, 2013 at 11:21AM     
0825sam
Hi, I really like the slate onthefence posted. I was also thinking marble, as you will get a lot of greys to pick up the counter but with the variation you can also get rusts, tans, browns.

Here is a pic although with white cabinets with brick and marble.

March 7, 2013 at 11:30AM     
0825sam
P.S. I think the clock (not sure what is above it) on the brick should be removed. With it being so white I think it's drawing your eye away from all the nice elements in your room.
March 7, 2013 at 11:32AM     
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I think the slate idea is great but in a scale other than the brick. Here is an example of one:
March 7, 2013 at 11:36AM   
0825sam
If you have a Best Tile in your area, they have a lot of limestone blends with tans and greys that may also work and come in regular sized subway, smaller like the photo from CMR, hexagons, linear mosaics, etc. You could bring some samples home and hold them against your counters.
March 7, 2013 at 11:39AM     
onthefence
CMR thank you for mentioning scale. We have a lot of natural brick in our kitchen as well. In dreaming of what I want to do in the kitchen, thinking about how to do a backsplash that doesn't fight with the brick has crossed my mind. I'm putting the cart way ahead of the horse...but it has been something I've wondered about.

Love the colors and size of the example you posted.
March 7, 2013 at 11:39AM     
mmbry
Slate's a good Idea. I've looked but haven't found one with the right mix in the places we've looked. By the way, this is a work in progress. The clock on the wall is temporary, so is the cardboard on the floor and the rug. The kickplates weren't ordered properly, but will match the cabinets. There are floortile samples leaning against the wall on the right that I was trying out just for color.
March 7, 2013 at 11:46AM   
Aegean Designing Whims
I also like the idea of a light slate backsplash, picking up colors from the counter. Or you could find a coordinating subway tile, which although you're not working with a 150 year old kitchen, is still an idea from the past. Definitely bring lots of samples home so you can see what they look like in your lighting.! Chrysteen
March 7, 2013 at 11:52AM     
onthefence
Yeah, finding the right slate is probably going to take a few store visits. There are just so many shades available. If possible, try to get a sample of your counter material and wood with your cabinet stain and keep them with you in the car. You never know when you'll drive by a tile place ;-)
March 7, 2013 at 11:56AM     
need help with easy to clean kitchen backsplash ideas
Dear houzzers, I am trying to design my kitchen keeping...
Backsplash? Need ideas - thank you!
Walnut slab doors + Blizzard - need some greenish backsplash...
need backsplash ideas for dark grey tile countertops
We're installing large dark grey tile counter tops...
we need help with a an idea for our backsplash
We need to install a backsplash, before they finish...
I need an idea for a backsplash.
The cabinet is painted a cream color. The granite is...
Tired of people entering our house via the kitchen door
We live in a house built in 1873. The house sits on...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am trying again with photos. Need suggestions for...
kitchen appliances.
i would like to have an advice over choosing kitchen...
Need help with living room
I'm not sure what to do! I am using these colors off...
Height to hang lighting
What is the proper height from the floor to the BOTTOM...