Wonderful kitchen
Agustín García Ulibarri
March 7, 2013 in Photo Questions
Elegent pendant lights and slim hood. I wonder why there is a soffit and why couldn't they run the hood up all the way up to the ceiling?
Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
There could be a several reasons for this soffit:

1.) Design element - it provides a visual transition between the wall and the cabinetry (in the background).

2.) Ductwork concealment - if the duct could not be routed into the ceiling or into the wall at the location of the hood, it would have to be redirected along the ceiling, and covered by a decorative soffit.

3.) Hood chimney seam elimination - many wall-mount range hoods feature a height-adjustable chimney that's made from 2 telescoping parts. Instead of extending the upper piece - and ending up with a horizontal seam - the designer may have decided to use only 1 chimney cover, and filling in the rest of the space with the soffit.
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 3:06PM
Christopher Simmonds Architect
The main trunk for the air exchange is in the bulkhead. All the high velocity flexible ducts branch off from here. Similar to this: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/emex-company-franklin-park?select=0-fTw3nvulSRpgUZvXB0Ug#0-fTw3nvulSRpgUZvXB0Ug
0 Likes   December 3, 2013 at 8:20AM
Nancy Cooper
I really appreciate when the architect, builder etc answer questions. Too many on Houzz do not.
0 Likes   September 7, 2014 at 3:22AM
Take 2... Another attempt to complete my living room & Bedroom
12 Months in and I still haven't embraced my red sofa....
indycoolchick
Need help with decor of this family room!
We are changing the floor to a darker wood. Any ideas...
paawani
Skylights vs. Dormer
We've been presented with two options for bringing...
pxlgirl
Best Homemade Gift?
As more people try to simplify their holiday giving...
Blank Slate Sitting Room Ideas
I moved in last September....just now getting around...
townse97