Border for a mosaic "rug" in bathroom
donahuemc
I am thinking of doing a brick border to a hex rug in my bathroom. How do you handle the corners? The picture attached shows the overall effect, but I don't know what to do at the corners. Thoughts?
Generally - overlapping the bricks at the corner alternating from the rows trimmed at the intersecting grout line of its matching lane ribbon. ( go look at brick work at corner of chimney) No photo here but I'll try with words.

Imagine the photo above - each brick strip is a lane - inside lane, middle lane outside lane.
Horizontal band is closest in photo / vertical band is coming in at 90 degrees.

H inside to outer grout line of V inside lane. Then V middle lane to outer grout line of H middle lane, then H inside to outer grout line of whole band.

Choose H or V for which one gives you the longest "brick" at the corner on the inside lane and then alternate. If your "matt" is small, you can make them symmetrical left and right from the way you look at them when you are standing at sink or sitting :-) but usually using the longer element works best.
March 7, 2013 at 4:08PM     
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
You could cut them on a 45 degree angle, or perhaps you can block the corners with a square corner tile that your mini subways can end off at
March 7, 2013 at 4:10PM     
Ironwood Builders
Laying out the "rug" so that everything lands whole tile is pretty difficult. My tile setter worked for three hours on lay out prior to setting a single tile on our last job. He then laid all the tile in an hour....prep is everything and planning is more!
March 7, 2013 at 4:25PM     
donahuemc
Thanks all -- this really helps! (and soooo speedy too!)
March 8, 2013 at 9:46AM   
You are welcome!
March 8, 2013 at 2:28PM   
Pattern disaster?
I am terrified of patters! Is this rug horrible with...
Different trim from windows/doors to floor?
I am reno-ing my main floor/kitchen. Pics 1&2 is currently...
Recessed Lighting
Not sure what lights to use! vaulted ceiling, Eye...
I need help with my backyard!!!
okay as you can see I use to have a pool in my backyard...