Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelcoqui

Take the contemporary out of this 80's style Stairway Railing.

joelcoqui
11 years ago
How to change this existing railing to a more traditional style without doing over. Help please.

Comments (60)

• dbh
    11 years ago
    joelcoqui: Honestly-- the stories I read on here about real estate sales suggestions make me wonder if real estate people are in cahoots with builders. Just kidding (sort of). I don't know what the rest of the house looks like, but I[m assuming it's modern-- and think this stairway is terrific. If anything, I would do as stated above and paint the railings black.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    going to stain the wood to a medium/dark brown but the metal I was planning to paint in a matte black. it still needs something.. thank you so much.
  • Teapots
    11 years ago
    Only seeing the railings and the stairwell area, it looks like the house itself is modern in its lines. If you're trying to put traditional furnishings in a modern house (like the painting on the wall) then you're fighting a losing battle and are going to have to think about bigger renovations. Why not just go transitional/modern with your furnishings/decor? Kind of like dressing for your body type. Then it won't look so odd. I personally love it.
  • PRO
    Flourish Design Elements
    11 years ago
    If you're looking to warm up the space, wood is the best option. Unfortunately you would have to tear out the metal railing - A professional stair/railing company should be able to help with this.

To add to K.O.H's thought, you could add wainscoting to the plywood to create a more traditional look.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 years ago
    Flourish Design Elements, thanks for the pic. The stairs would be closed in. the design could be mission style to traditional, what moldings you apply will denote that style. The corner post and middle post would be applied to the wall also.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have a carpenter already putting some moulding to mimic panels on those walls. my concern is just the railing right now.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    That railing looks art deco design to me. If you have a carpenter there, ask him to add to boards either side of the railing to cover them up completely. You wouldn't see through them but basically extend your stairwall upwards with a wooden bannister over the top.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I don't think you understand what I was saying. The railing would have to be covered and trimmed to match your style. It would be similar to the pic Flourish posted. You would be completely covering the stair railing and spindles.
  • Melissa
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Maybe I'm the only one but I really like this railing!!!! It's super modern. If money is no object, I would remove the carpet and install hardwood floors. So slick! It would be such a refreshing and modern update.
  • K B
    11 years ago
    Bear with me as I am a visual learner. Could a HOUZZ pro comment on the viability of applying a similar treatment illustrated in the pic below to this design dilemma. To me it would be a good fit. It may not be traditional enough for the poster, but at least it's attractive.
    Tracey Lamoureux · More Info
  • K B
    11 years ago
    @mlryan78--yes it would look nice, but I don't think it would meet the poster's traditional requirement. I would replace the carpet with hardwoods regardless.
    13th St. Penthouse - Staircase · More Info
  • Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    Wow I love the railings! I'm so jealous! Of course in my opinion the beige color is the confusing culprit, that color is monstrous on those gorgeous railing hiding the true beauty. Of course if you dead set against modern or contemporary or my favorite Transitional which blends the old and new you have a problem. Trying to work with these railings to be more traditional is never going to look right.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- I see nothing wrong with this railing but the 80's color . Why not do the lest to it first and see if you can live with how it looks . Just paint the metal either silver or black but don't paint the verticals at first , then see , if you don't like that then do the whole thing . I don't think you should add anything to it or box it in none of that . I like the modern art deco style of it . But if it's in bad shape or wobbly then replace , maybe with a glass railing .
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I like the railing. I would change the color to a metallic.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Its in perfect condition, its white washed oak....and I dont like modern because its cold looking. Need to warm it up. I know a total transformation is impossible. What pics did Flourish post? all I see is a wainscotting wall.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    miryan78: No; you're not the only one. I completely agree with you-- and also about replacing the carpet with hardwoods. I do think also that painting the railings black would add a whole other dimension and make the metal verticals stand out more. I love it, though. Boxing all that in would give it a very blah, standard (but acceptable) look-- but nothing unusual or visually interesting -- as it is now. Hardwoods would definitely be a plus, too.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    love hardwoods but you will not be able to see it because of the short wall. ..it is also not in the budget. This is what they mean by the snowball effect.!! LOL
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Like this and add details
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I really don't think modern has to be "cold-looking." Again, if budget is a concern, what I would do first is paint the walls a warmer color. What looks like your "apartment white" color right now doesn't do much to warm up the place. So I'd choose a warm taupe gray maybe. After that, I'd look at things again, and if you still don't like it, try painting the railings black as first suggested by Pyramid Design Group. From the two pictures you've shown, this looks like a great and visually interesting interior (in a good way). I really would not try to make it into something it's not; rather, just embrace the modern sleek look you have here.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you. I am definitely staining the wood dark brown. As for the metal vertical tubes, Im painting them matte black.
  • Neil Hood
    11 years ago
    The balustrade looks very industrial for a residential property I would not waste money trying to add to this to improve it I would take it out and start fresh with what you want , iam an architectural metalworker
  • qam999
    11 years ago
    Like most other commenters, I like the railing a lot and think that just a color change may be what you need. I don't care for the dual metals in particular. I'm thinking a lovely pewter for the whole railing, against stark white walls. The only thing that would keep this from being perfect is that the deco-ish railing may not go well with the trim in the rest of the house, which looks to be more "builder"/stock. Still, I have to goggle at the realtor's statement. I really can't see advising someone to take out and replace a well-built railing for $$$ when it just needs a little paint, properly applied. On another thread we heard of a realtor who said, "People around here just don't like the color blue."
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    A wood railing is not industrial. I wanted a metalworker to attach any type of ornament to the metal to change it up a bit. It is new...cant afford a new one for the wrong reasons. It is well built. Im just staining it dark brown.
  • Danielle B
    11 years ago
    The railing is an interesting 1980's interpretation of art deco. The 1930's inspired a lot of the 80's design in architecture, interior decoration and fashion. That being said, other architectural features in your home may also be 1930's inspired. If you don't like it and doesn't match any of your furniture, go ahead and change it. However, I would opt with a cover-up, as suggested by K.O.H. This way, it's possible to change back to the original look. If you prefer to take it out, try selling it on ebay or craigslist. From other posts above, it looks like there is an interest for it and it may offset the replacement cost :-)
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The house is not art deco. Just clean lined contemporary. very simple.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Changing the subject here. "soberg", I built in sub-divisions where the covenants specify no home to be painted blue.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    K.O.H.: I assume that's the outside of the home, not the inside?? Wow-- those must have been some subdivisions. I lived in a state- and locally- recognized historical neighborhood (which, of course, we dubbed hysterical). And while exterior colors had to be "historically accurate," I'm pretty sure the color blue was not outlawed. You definitely couldn't go to hell for using it. ;) These Stepford-like subdivisions sound pretty scary.
  • Billy Rogers
    10 years ago
    I would keep what you have and have a pro install a popular wood cap for the top rail only . made in a laminate layer of say 1/8 inch layers that would be glued and stacked to the thickness of 1 1/2 inches . Then before the glue drys it would be temporarily clamped to the top rail so it will form the same shape and contour as the top rail. Once the glue drys it will hold the form of the rail , it can then be finished with a lacquer type coating color of your choice or stained natural . Anyway once it is finished and attached to the top rail it will look like a one solid piece rail cap. Try to imagine a solid 2x4 ( no joints ) attached to the top rail. I will try to find a pic and post it to give you a better idea.
    joelcoqui thanked Billy Rogers
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Please find a pic. I dont understand 100% I will be stripping and staining the wood part of the railing a dark brown or mahogany color.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    stair company came and suggested removing the bottom two rails on the top hall and the bottom one (going up) and putting evenly spaced round wood spindles painted white to match my white woodwork. what do you think?
  • mfwolfe
    10 years ago
    I think I would get a new real estate agent. The railing is unique and wonderful and real estate people like bland and boring. Some buyer will fall in love with that railing.
  • sally78
    10 years ago
    I love the way that railing looks! It is very attractive. Please don't change it.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    I would play UP the deco feel by decorating the rest of the space and market to the market that appreciates the look--at a premium. If your agent is not able to find a way to play an angle, then it may be time to think about strategy.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Stainned but not painted spindles yet
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Paint spindles white?
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you're not careful, you'll turn a silk purse into a sow's ear. You are fighting the basic nature of the home itself. Just like when a 50 year old woman with a few extra pounds tries to wear a crop top and skinny jeans. It's the wrong clothing. You're trying to dress Richard Gere in old man sansabelt pants and a golf shirt. Leave the grandpa alterations out of the equation!
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Have to agree with Sophie, above-- and also, the Richard Gere vision is disturbing and troubling.
    I also think if you were going to stain or paint the railings, it should have been a blackish stain, or painted black-- which you can still do. I just think that would fit better with the metal-- just my feeling. But leave the metal as is, or just move. If you don't like contemporary, put the house on the market and sell it to someone who does, and then move into a more boring traditional house.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Sometimes people don't realize a good thing when they have it .
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wow. thanks everyone. The spindles must be painted only because they are so stained up from when they stripped the wood.. The new carpet was installed and the walls and trim newly painted. I will eventually post a photo. A majority of the people that come in my home say white so to match all my trimwork.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I forgot to post after six years. I'm very happy with what was done.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Robbin Capers
    4 years ago

I'd paint it all black or the same metallic tone if you can pull that off. The three tones together are kind of bad (mostly the painted part) but it's cool otherwise.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

OMG that railing was such a work of art, but not everyone can appreciate a Matisse or Picasso and they just have to have that Elvis painted on velvet.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Good choice.

• plf12652
    4 years ago

Well I think it looks great the way you’ve done it! Glad you didn’t go white on the spindles!

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

Is this post actually from 2013?????

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Well done!

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. It came up on a Houzz link I clicked on and reminded me about it. I would give you a better view but I have several family photos on that wall and I would like to keep my privacy. Thank you so much. Happy Houzzing!

• Janeen Vogelaar
    last year

Joelcoqui, how did the stair company do that? Is it a veneer wrap?