Need help with window covering for light control.
olivehazel
We have a newly remodeled kitchen with a west facing window. The sun is brutal and I need help with ideas for covering without losing the beauty of the shape that we paid dearly for. Can anyone help?
PH Interiors, LLC
Here is a one idea. Have an upholstered cornice made to fit around the arch. Behind it, mount woven wood blinds or 2" wood slat blinds. When they are raised, they will disappear behind the cornice.
3 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 9:07AM
apple_pie_order
Window film on the exterior?
   March 8, 2013 at 9:09AM
Mary Dancey Interiors
Great idea PH :) What is outside beyond the window? You could consider an awning or a pergola if space allows to defuse the light.
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 9:13AM
olivehazel
We did add window film, but the sun defeated it. I like the cornice idea, but worry it would look oddly squished between the window cabinetry and ceiling. There is only 8.5 inches between the top of the window trim and the ceiling and 3 inches to the cabinets. What do you think?
   March 8, 2013 at 9:22AM
Fenstermann LLC
I think a top-down/bottom-up shade inside mounted up to the arch, would look great. Our shades are slim, and minimally designed, almost like they were made to fix this dilemma.
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 9:27AM
olivehazel
These are casement windows would the the top down, bottom up shades work with the cranks and minimal clearance over the sink?
   March 8, 2013 at 9:31AM
PH Interiors, LLC
Another take on the cornice is to have one built one out of paint grade lumber and paint it the same color as the wall. It will virtually disappear. Plus you could add the same crown that is on the cabinets.
   March 8, 2013 at 9:33AM
claudette2402
I agree with previous comment about an inside mount shade. The window is too beautiful to mount anything outside the casing. I once had a kitchen with a similar shaped window. My designer had the drapery shop build an inside mount form that conformed to the shape of the eyebrow arch. The thin wood form was wrapped with fabric to which tie back curtains were attached. The tie backs were metal holders mounted inside the casing. The entire treatment was framed by the casing. The fabric was washable and required no ironing.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 9:44AM
Clever Panes
Stained glass can typically be installed in front of an existing window. Depending on the color/texture and transparency you choose could cut out the glare but still let light in. Also beautiful from outside at night when light is on inside the room and the design can be seen from outside.
   March 8, 2013 at 9:45AM
Fenstermann LLC
@olivehazel, We are only covering the glass anyway, the shade should stop at the handle.
   March 8, 2013 at 9:49AM
Fenstermann LLC
We did this for the window in this bathroom. The shade was inside mounted, and stopped at the handle. The customer wanted the same thing as you; keep the beautiful wood frames exposed, give them privacy and shade.
   March 8, 2013 at 9:54AM
apple_pie_order
Bottom-up shades would work nicely if you could get a fabric that can be easily cleaned if spattered by the sink. The custom curtain rod option is also an excellent possibility. Swing arm curtain rods can be bent to shape, too.
   March 8, 2013 at 12:47PM
Need help with transom windows light control
I recently had blinds installed on the bedroom windows...
Need help for window coverings for double hung windows
House has double hung windows which are framed with...
Need help with window coverings for windows
Windows are 82" long stopping at window sill. Ceiling...
Need help finding window covering for angled windows
I am having difficulty looking for window covering...
Where are ideabooks ?!
No likee this new look. Go back please. I will not...
New bathroom - what would you do
hello, ready to start bathroom but I am at a loss...
Help me with my dining room
Some experts here gave me very helpful inputs regarding...