Lighting suggestions
jrthompson81
March 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are trying to keep a transitional feel in the kitchen area, any thoughts on what style of lighting above the kitchen table? Also what would work on the wall, framed art, canvas, sculpture???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
The Look Interiors
Hi! What a beautiful Grand home. i wonder if Just a Light Fixture is the best result for you.
What about adding some Entablature, or trims, mouldings and caps that would better suit the size and scale of your grand room. Your Interior Archttecture should be In Scale with your large oversized space.
Instead of petite, single-trims, framing EACH window and especially that large triple, The crown moulding looks almost mini compared to the wall height (you can add just a single piece about 5" lower and paint all the way up to the existing to help! You should add large headers, trims and an elegant detail that would Finish the spectacular start youve had in this room.

__Colleen Lake, TheLookInteriors@comcast.net
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 10:54AM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
I can't see what is at the left of your windows so I'm shooting a little bit in the dark (no pun intended!).
The table seems a little small so I'd suggest a lantern here. If you would prefer a chandalier keep it trim and simple . Iron, painted iron or wood will work well. Because the ceiling is high in the breakfast area think about adding a sconce too. Adding a wall mounted fixture on the wall to the right of your windows would add a lot of interest and be much more interesting than a print. For color and to soften the space a window treatment will be a huge improvement. Look for a linen print that apeals to you. A single drapery rod which is adjustable to the angles is easy to find. Hang a single panel at each end. If the near end of your window is a door, then you can do a single panel at the far end, tied back. Mount the rod higher than your window frame to mediate the height of the ceiling. Another way to humanize the area is to consider wood shutters.
Many people are opting for a drum shade fixture but in this case I thiink you should do something with more oomph than a drum. Last, consider a flat weave rug and fresh fabric on the chairs. Good Luck!!
Your home is beautiful.........Jeff Brooks
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:21AM
PRO
Iza Eisemann
Very nice and spacious kitchen! I would recommend using a large scale pendant hung low over your kitchen table. This rather empty window nook looks like a perfect area to display an interesting pendant that would make a statement. I would imagine a large scale drum pendant such as this one: http://www.lumens.com/Hampton-Drum-Pendant-by-Hinkley-Lighting/uu312402/product or a sculptural pendant that would make a statement either by its unusual shape or color - such as this one: http://www.lumens.com/Eva-Pendant-by-Masiero/uu458033/product or even more complex tiered suspension, such as this one: http://www.lumens.com/Ondrian-Tiered-Multi-Light-Suspension-by-Hubbardton-Forge/uu381285/product
It all depends what your furniture/decor style in the rest of the house is as the kitchen pendant should resonate with it. Finally, I would add a nice rug, perhaps a round one under the kitchen table to make the seating area look more settled.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:32AM