Need ideas to make living room more contemporary
bnoone1
My living room is very traditional and it doesn't match the style of my dining room and kitchen that it shares a space with. I need to keep the couch, chairs and ottoman. Any ideas for ways to change out other items and accessories to make it more contemporary?
emilierenno
The furniture you have placed in the room is very traditional with the large round arms and oversized pieces. I would suggest some more straight edged furniture and something with a darker solid color. Also a larger rug with more contemporary patterns will change a lot!
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:05AM
0825sam
If furniture is staying I'd say definitely switch out your lamps to something sleeker like this

Also switch out the floral pillows
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:12AM
0825sam
Can you also do new window treatments? You could do wood plantation blinds or natural woven shades for privacy and then drapes to the ceiling
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:13AM
0825sam
Here's an idea book about using throws to change the look of your furniture

2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:15AM
bnoone1
I was thinking about this Pottery Barn rug. What do you think? Any pillow suggestions? The couches look a little pink it in my photo but they are more of a brown/rust color with small light blue scroll battern in them.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:21AM
I think that is too busy with the chair, but I like something like this rug from PB. I suggest you get a larger rug and get your furniture on it.

Then I would repaint your walls in a like color, maybe BM jute.

Could you take another pix with the drapes open so we can see the window(s)?

Also, your sofa is showing up pink on my monitor. Is it?
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:37AM
0825sam
Hi - this is what I would do - find a less expensive rug (I think u may need 8x10 to get your furniture on it) and buy a new chair.

This rug is similar and blue like you have and it appears to be 50% off
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 11:40AM
rosemarie105
I think your window treatments could make a huge difference. They seem very old style traditional. I would hang the rod above the window frame, it will make the space appear larger and really accent that window nicely. Maybe a patterned drape, something with a contemporary flair.

I agree with the lamps. Change those out

Also get new throw pillows for the sofa. Again, look for something with a contemporary print, like the trellis rug bnoone1 posted above.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 11:40AM
jackake
Maybe open the drapes and send a picture. Does the couch have to go in front of the window? Could it go on the solid wall where the oversize chair backs to?
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:41AM
0825sam
For a budget friendly new chair I would try a Marshall's type place for a more contemporary brown leather chair - seems like it would tie in your other furniture without introducing a big pattern to compete with the rug. I think I'd rather see pattern on your rug than the current chair's pattern.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 11:50AM
bnoone1
I will look for a new chair. Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 11:56AM
redheadedwmn
The curtains could use some updating. How about grommet style instead?

Love the lamp sam0705 posted. Agree the rug is too small. Could you change it to a larger and black/dark brown to match with the dark wood color in the DR & kitchen?

Change out pillows to more modern/contemporary. patterns. The side table should be changed out to more modern if you need one there.
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:06PM
Remove all items from walls. Get a big 8x10 area rug. In a contemporary design. Remove table by window. Replace gold shade lamp, with big silver base with black or white round tall shades. Art over sofa big and modern art. Same behind Dining table, wall where mirror is replace with much larger 6 feet long by 4or5 feet high mirror. Silver or black frame.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:15PM
Replace ottoman with modern dark wood coffee table square or round is best. Take sheers off dining rm window but just leave the panels. That help a. Lot.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:16PM
Are you keeping the big leather chair n sofa. If you want more modern look they have to go change to a low sleek leather sectional in light gray with chrome legs. With sectional use round coffee table can go glass with stainless. Sectional should be a left side chaise . When looking at sofa from front it would come out on your left. Keep the other chair it's perfect for yr look. Dining table works too. But no sheers on windows. Of corse as I said in other post art work makes a room. Like paint color.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:22PM
Forgot all your pictures are too high. Never hang pictures more than 4" above furniture. Remove all small pieces from walls does nothing for room. Are you in Calif. if so Z Galleries is the best for art . Go on line to see.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:24PM
I can't see end tables but may need to change out for lower sleek lines dark wood. Like on arm of yr chair.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:26PM
Take away bookcase and any small pictures. I just saw how you have big window. Again remove sheers. Buy sec that I suggested before but put on wall you have leather chair on. With big silk tree by window. A large modern painting behind sofa put large area rug in midern design with print.8x10 run long ways out from sec. Put two chairs in front of sec. Put the tree at end of window by chair put modern end table with big tall lamp .see my other comment. I would still do leather in light gray. Behind sofa the large mirror see other comment.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:35PM
Add nice large art work in dining rm.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:36PM
Can you find another chair like the one you have with wood arms that would be perfect side by side. With sectional on opposite wall. Area rug way to small use in entry. Need 8x10 for living area.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:39PM
Top 4 - replace drapery, replace rug with much larger very modern rug - like an art piece, change out mirror on wall for contemporary art on wrapped canvas - a large one tying all your accent colors together - look on art.com for something large and by a recongized artist, add modern coffee table like this inspiration piece from crate and barrel http://www.crateandbarrel.com/seguro-rectangular-coffee-table/s220012 - run it perpendicular to window - something different than the other wood tones.

Here's some great neutral drapery that manage to also be very fresh and modern - buy individual panels and just layer them in. http://www.westelm.com/products/bamboo-printed-window-panel-b877/?pkey=cwindow-panels-curtains-shades

Here is some free or nearly free things to do now - take the rug you have and put it at the entry door. Take lamps you have and change the shades to drum shades (see target)
Rearrange your furniture - change up layout of chairs relative to loveseat - the squareness open to the rest is too traditional too. Put your loveseat where the big chair is perpendicular to front window. Put the console table on the wall behind it like a sofa table. Angle big chair and set ottoman right next to it aimed at the dining room table at 45 degrees with its back to the photographer. Put the print chair so you really see it - with its back to the stair to make a real "closed "grouping that of course you can walk right into. Eventually display a nice sculptural element in the center of the console behind the loveseat..

Also - all your art is hung too high. It needs to drop about 8" to be where it feels part of the composition.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 1:40PM
Rest of house looks great. Just your furn and decor very dated.no one use sheers on windows now. Open them up let light in.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 1:41PM
Need help making this room more contemporary
Hi. My wife and I are about to close on a house in...
Need more idea to decored the living room and dining room
I don know what and how to make these room looks beautiful...
Any ideas of making our living room more functional and comfortable?
Hello and thanks for any design ideas in advance...We...
Need help with making my living room more lived in and warm.
Our living room needs more of lived in feeling. Don't...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
How to reate a good floor plan?
For all areas of your house, what are the key design...
Kitchen sink options
I am working on a kitchen remodel. The new cabinets...
Exterior colour
We are wanting to paint our house a more modern. All...
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...