Need help exterior of home
Carrie Tolbert
I've been slowly trying to fix up our home for resale, there's a lot wrong with it that needs to be changed, please give me some inexpensive suggestions. The picture window was recently replaced and unfourtanately that large trim around it was a must. The shutters next to it are too small I think and need to come down. Wondering about painting the trim around that window the same as the shutters (dark blue) and putting a window flower box in front in a white? I believe it needs a new porch light, something hanging down, looks unbalanced to me. Please help with all suggestions! And of course all the dead plants need to come down . =)Thanks so much.
brody1313
I would just declutter the front, sides and all around the house and porch, put out fresh pine straw mulch around house and walkway steps...it is an adorable house......large black individula house #'s going up and down might balance out the lt and mailbox on the other side..... or try switching the existing #'s and mailbox for better balance good luck
March 8, 2013 at 12:00pm   
DIAspoton
how about a white picket fence 6 ft out from the house on both sides of the porch to the sides of the house.plant easy care, bright flowering, low growing plants along the front of the fence.
white picket fences may be cliche but they give huge curb appeal for a small investment.
you won't need the window boxes.
looks like the door has a beveled glass oval? a brighter color like turquoise, yellow or red would show it off.
March 8, 2013 at 12:04pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think your ideas are good ones. Treating the picture window differently would be OK. One thing you might look into for that window are window grilles - you can buy them online and snap them in. It might give that window more appeal.

I think it's a cute house and doesn't need a lot, but the one thing that jumps out at me is the size of the columns. I think that, if possible, replacing those with something beefier would make all the difference in the world,

I would also consider painting the front door in a bright, happy color that would go with your other colors - maybe red? You could relocate your address plaque to the porch gable - that would look nice. A different light fixture - larger, maybe a satin nickel finish? - would look better, too, wherever you install it. A couple of nice big pots of flowers on either side of the porch steps and I think it will be adorable :-)
March 8, 2013 at 12:17pm     
Carrie Tolbert
I've been thinking of doing the front door red or yellow actually.. not sure which.. what color would I do the trim around the oval on the door with each color. Gonna look at getting a new screen door. I've already decluttered after seeing this pic. What should I do about that large picture window. I don't want to do a fence out front we already have a fenced in backyard
March 8, 2013 at 12:22pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Try this link: http://www.newpanes.com/howitworks.html

I would go with red - I think it will hold it's own against the navy blue and will look nice with the gray siding.
March 8, 2013 at 12:25pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I would paint the trim of the oval the same color as the door.
March 8, 2013 at 12:28pm     
Carrie Tolbert
Funny u said that Kathryn... the window we had before had the grilles and my husband bought this one and had it put it without me seeing. I wasnt happy with the completely open view..
March 8, 2013 at 12:28pm   
DIAspoton
oh i didn't mean fence the front yard. just put a line of low white picket fence up near the front of the house flanking the porch, for looks only. flowers in front. it would add depth and give the house a more substantial look.
March 8, 2013 at 12:31pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
LOL, funny how those things happen! I think it just might give you a more traditional feel and take some of the starkness out of that window. That's just one company - there are others - and I don't think that those grilles are particularly expensive. I think removing the shutters on that window is a must, and I really like your idea of a window box there.

I was also going to say that I think you could just trim out your columns, rather than replacing them. See if you can't find a carpenter to talk to about it (check with a local lumberyard, if you don't know anyone). One more thing, which would involve a little bit more, but having the steps run the width of the porch would make it look more inviting. I'm just not sure how far you want to go with this :-)
March 8, 2013 at 12:33pm   
Carrie Tolbert
Got the red paint! Will post picture tmrw of that! Then I'll also take down shutters by big window and paint that trim in the blue and start looking for window boxes and a new light and fixing the symmetry issue by door. Gonna look into getting the beefier columns and opening that up I love those suggestions. Then the low corner white fencing with flowers and a post with house number. Love all your suggestions and will show u when I'm done!
March 8, 2013 at 5:46pm     
barcis
Such great ideas! Red front door is good feng shui...bring good luck to selling your house (which is adorable!). Can't wait to see pics of your changes!
March 8, 2013 at 5:52pm   
JWinteriors
To keep costs down, you can wrap your existing columns in wood, then paint white. I don't know about painting your window trim blue...sounds a bit out there for resale. Love the red door idea and a flower box on the big window.
March 8, 2013 at 7:47pm   
Carrie Tolbert
Here's the door red and shutters down.. so what do you guys think now.. not planning on painting the window trim im talking about the big frame around that picture window ...so should I do that or the window boxes I put up just do those in the blue instead?
March 9, 2013 at 11:29am     
Need help with EXTERIOR Colonial Home needs Help!
Hi, I am trying to come with a plan for my colonial...
need help choosing paint for exterior brick home
Recently purchased a 40+ year old home that has ugly...
Need help with exterior update for a 1959 home
1959 brick house with a front bedroom that projects...
Need help with my family home exterior and landscaping ideas
I am planning on doing some exterior repainting (façade),...
Need Help Redesigning an Exterior of a Small Home!
We are purchasing a tiny home in an old village and...
Attic Addition
Hello, I am thinking of adding on to my house by adding...
convert shower/bathtub into shower
Our space is a standard 60" bathtub we will be removing...
What colour of shutter should I use?
To match the colour of the house.
Need advice for addtion
I am adding an addition over my garage. The exterior...
What stays what goes to change this kitchen?
Our kitchen is nice.... but nice and dark... sadly...