Help me pull these play room colors together
kittybart
I have a lot of color going on in here and everything feels disjointed. What do I need to add or remove from this space in terms of color? I have some things functionally I want to add (storage bins and maybe more shelves), but I'm not liking how the room feels now.

I would also like to add a more rustic/modern feel, instead of just modern, so I would appreciate any advice there too. Thanks!
Liza Jane Interiors
Because the room looks long and narrow, I would turn the rug and sofa to face the fireplace and make a seating area there and then behind that I would place the kids table, bins, etc. You might want to add another navy rug to that area. Looks like you need an end table and lamp as well.
March 8, 2013 at 12:16pm     
kittybart
ACK! I always do this - forget the most important part - how I need this room to function.

I won't be adding lamps/end tables, ottoman or other accent tables to this room. It will purely function as a child's play area. I need a large, open play space, so I don't want to float the couch in the middle of the room. Thank you, though, Liza Jane for your suggestions.

Maybe that's my problem though. Without the fireplace being the focal point, the "open play space" becomes the focal point and since it's just a wide open space, there is nothing to focus on. Hmm...thinking.
March 8, 2013 at 12:25pm     
0825sam
Hi I like the room so far! I think I would remove the yellow pillows and replace with a couple of furry white/ivory ones. I don't think you need that extra color there.
I also agree you may want to add another rug. If not another of the same you could overlap/layer with a more neutral. In my kids playroom I have a smaller shag rug layered over a red oriental rug.
March 8, 2013 at 12:26pm     
0825sam
Ps having a playroom myself I understand you want to leave the middle open. So more rugs may help - that one is a little small for the space though I really like it.
March 8, 2013 at 12:27pm     
nasmijati
I like designing spaces for children! I worked in preschools and elementary schools for more than 20 years.

Young children do better with low shelves for toy storage. If you use bins, put a photo of the contents on the outside of the bin. This helps children learn to put their toys away independently (with the "clean up" song and gentle guidance from you). It also helps the baby sitter and relatives who come to play with/mind the children.

I do not see specific areas for different kinds of play in your room. The "coffee table" seems the right height for messy activities such as finger paint, and play dough, but you may need to move it closer to a source of water for clean-up. Get a different floor covering for under the table. One that is easy to clean.

A specific space for dramatic play would be good. Put the toy kitchen and dress-up clothes in the same area.

Is there a reading area? A "quiet" space is often a nice spot for reading, such as the tent in the fourth photo.

All of the photos below are from Houzz, PHOTOS, Kids, "playrooms." I am sorry they do not enlarge on this post. I can attach four at a time.
March 8, 2013 at 12:29pm   
0825sam
Target has big rattan floor baskets that could add some texture rustic element. Though I am not getting a modern vibe. It's an eclectic land of nod kind of look.
March 8, 2013 at 12:30pm   
kittybart
Sam - I agree - I think the yellow pillows need to be removed.

Any ideas on storage bin colors?

Eztia - Yes, I am working on "stations". I have a felt board/stories I want to mount, and I'm planning on really playing up her kitchen area when I have more time. My daughter loves to play in the kitchen.

I would like a reading nook as well, but I may have to remove the Poang chair in order to do so. I also worry about the hearth. My daughter is stable but gets a little too rowdy sometimes and I think if I created a reading nook in that corner, the pillows would be too much to resist jumping in and accidentally bonking her head. Thanks for the photos and suggestions!
March 8, 2013 at 12:32pm   
kittybart
I think I have that exact round basket you're talking about sam - hahah!!

Maybe not modern...I'm terrible at labeling styles. Eclectic/Land of Nod sounds good to me.

How would I add a rug to this space?? In addition to the one I have? Get another the same?
March 8, 2013 at 12:34pm   
Jessica Boulder
A big rug placed strategically would add flair to your room.
March 8, 2013 at 12:36pm   
kittybart
So what I'm hearing is either another rug, or larger rug, correct?
March 8, 2013 at 12:37pm   
As eztia suggets, you need different areas for different activities. More focused than willie nellie. One of the things my girls loved to do is play dress up. In that spot, a secured mirror and some fun (safe) clothes or costumes would take up some time. Then you can sit on the sofa and read a book. :>)
Personalized Pillow, Initial by Love Lime Kids
Kids SFK389A Multi Rug
March 8, 2013 at 12:38pm     
0825sam
I think you could add another of the same and turn them horizontally. Or you could get a really big natural fiber rug (sisal?) and layer your current rug over it. (I am a fan of layering I know not everyone is).
I think the green accents are working with your paint color so you could use that for storage bins. I like the strapping ones from land of nod - or 3 sprouts has really cute cube bins with little animals on them.
March 8, 2013 at 12:39pm   
0825sam
March 8, 2013 at 12:40pm   
kittybart
Thanks Sam. Yes, the strapping ones from land of nod are on my list. I love the ones from 3 sprouts...hard for me to spring for those!

Hmm...I'll have to think about the layering rugs. Might be a tripped hazard for my little one. But it would look nice. Thanks!
March 8, 2013 at 12:42pm   
nasmijati
I would define a 4x6 or 5x7 play space on the floor by using a plain color, low pile area rug. This area would be good for doing puzzles, playing with small dolls, and small building blocks. It will help with the children's visual development of "figure-ground." That is, finding the toy on the background of the rug. It will also help you to avoid stepping on a Lego or a Barbie shoe - ouch.

The first photo shows a table dedicated to little cars, with the cars stored on picture rails on the wall

Display the children's artwork. Magnetic wall paint is an option for the "gallery wall."
March 8, 2013 at 12:43pm   
nasmijati
If your children are active, consider wresting mats.

You may need to build a fence around the fireplace for a while.
March 8, 2013 at 12:46pm   
kittybart
I know we're talking about play stations, but I'm kind of out of walls. :/ Any tips on where in this room would work? Without removing the seating?

I do have her artwork displayed on the wall above the Poang Chair. Below that is where I'm thinking of hanging the felt board.
March 8, 2013 at 12:50pm   
nasmijati
Let me go to Lakeshore Learning and find a piece of storage equipment that might be an inspiration piece for you. Lakeshore Learning is one of the biggest suppliers of school furniture in the USA.
March 8, 2013 at 12:53pm     
nasmijati
All of these photos are from Lakeshorelearning.com.

The first photo is your "inspiration" photo. It is really two short bookcases on casters, joined with a piano hinge along the inside corner. It can be closed and latched shut if desired. If you arrange it so one short end is against a wall, you have created a square play space with shelves on two sides. The side opposite the one touching the wall can be another play area.

The second photo is a "no climb" book display. Another play area could be on the opposite side, if you put the end of the bookcase against a wall.

The third photo shows a storage unit for dress-up clothes, and has a non-breakable steel mirror. It sits flat on the floor, and is heavy.
March 8, 2013 at 1:06pm   
nasmijati
I prefer to define areas with furniture placement instead of rugs. It is easier for housecleaning to have only one wall-to-wall carpet to vacuum. One special rug that is for sitting on while playing seems to be enough, speaking from my experiences.
March 8, 2013 at 1:12pm     
kittybart
So...I went rug shopping and I'm trying a new one out here in this room and also my foyer (separate thread). Thoughts? I know it's smaller...I'm not sure I want a huge rug on the whole floor.

Etzia - Love that dress up station!!! Thank you!
March 8, 2013 at 6:35pm   
0825sam
I love this rug but I prefer the black (navy?) - I think it looked really nice with the wall color.
Where did you get the new rug btw? Looking for something like that...
March 8, 2013 at 6:37pm   
kittybart
Hmm...I like both. Can't decide which works better for this space. I like the pop of color that this rug brings down to the floor from the walls. And I feel like it warms the space up, whereas the black/white made it less cozy.

I got it at a local rug dealer. I would be more than happy to email you their information if you're interested.
March 8, 2013 at 7:17pm   
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Kittybart -- Here's what I'd do to rein in your colors and bring the room together. The one piece that seems to speak to everything else you've got is the Pez poster. That is the kind of thing you can build a colorful but cohesive room around. I'd sell or scrapbook the one you have and order a huge one for over the FP -- then make sure that the rest of your colors come out of that poster. I took the sort of denim blue and "dyed" your slipcover. Then I "gave" the huge canvas over it to your daughter, along with three or five paint colors from the poster and some enormous brushes for her to have a little fun with. Some bookcases or shelves of your choice to flank the FP, and you're on your way to playland.
March 8, 2013 at 7:47pm     
Jennifer
Hi Kittybart,
Love love love the new rug you purchased...it goes great with the wall color. I know you said previously you do not want to float the couch because you need a large play area, but I am wondering if that would actually help define the centers/spaces for the kids better. From my experience, kids love open spaces, but they also desire some sort of more defined structure to a room. Look in any early childhood classroom and you'll see little areas carved out for the kids. Since it's a kid's room and kids don't have rules :), what if you turn/put the couch either at an angle with the right arm almost touching the wall (close enough so your little ones don't get stuck there) or just put it off center from the fireplace and facing the fireplace and then move the large dark brown/black storage unit/bookshelf behind the couch. Is the storage unit from ikea? If it is, we have one and it is sturdy enough turned on its side that you won't have to worry about little ones toppling it over. Then you would free up the wall space on the right wall as well as the wall space where the large bookshelf/storage unit was and you could put the kitchen set there and then a large bulletin/feltboard in that area...maybe with a small area rug to define the "kitchen" space. In the bookshelf/storage unit you could put books or storage baskets (organized by toy...i.e. blocks in one, train tracks in the other, etc.). On the left side of the fireplace, I like the suggestion of adding some bookshelves and then you could put the puzzles you have on top there as well as some poufs and floor pillows along the wall to the right of the french doors. You could also hang up your feltboard here as well. If you put pillows in this area, you can set some up on the brick of the fireplace to cushion it better (how old is your little one?). As a temporary fix, I have seen people cut those pool noodles in half and put them on the edges of the fireplace to help with the sharp edges. I also like the idea of the magnetic wall to display artwork. Another idea is to take some of your children's/child's artwork and either get it blown up on canvas or put several pieces of artwork behind the panes of a rustic window...if you still want to go rustic this might be a nice touch and then you hang this above the fireplace and change it out as necessary. Whatever you chose to do, you have lucky kids!!
March 8, 2013 at 10:41pm     
Barnhart Gallery has got the ticket - Like the pez poster as a focal point poster - frame it in a new standard black poster size frame and fill the difference with huge custom art mat on it in bright yellow from the piece so it pops off the white. Use both rugs - turned sideways with bright color in foreground area and monochromatic before fire area.
Only color problem I see is slipcover - needs to be denim or navy from rug - color clashes with orange wall. Rit dye to rescue.
March 8, 2013 at 11:06pm     
kittybart
Barnhart - that looks really great. I love the bookshelf idea.

I cannot find that print large enough online! :( I spent over an hour looking and I just can't seem to find it (hardly at all) but definitely not in that size!

I love the idea you've come up with though. I could probably find another piece of vintage art to coordinate with oranges and blues.

Also, my slipcover is polyester unfortunately so I can't dye it. I might have to find another one.
March 9, 2013 at 5:30am   
kittybart
Jennifer - those are all great ideas. I might even be tempted to try the couch out that way. Thank you!
March 9, 2013 at 5:31am   
keaparos
Dumbo
March 9, 2013 at 5:33am   
Barnhart Gallery
If your local copy store can't enlarge that for you (as they'd want copyright verification) you could use it alongside a few of these, with your favorite ordered large: http://www.art.com/gallery/id--g207263/posters.htm?ui=A06ACFDF997F4523AA053252509AD70E&SSK=orange blue vintage poster&sby=all&searchstring=orange+blue+vintage+poster

I like Naranja Bilz and Mandarin :)
March 9, 2013 at 7:04am     
kittybart
Ok houzzers. You spoke and I listened. We LOVE the furniture configuration this way. Sorry it's messy/cluttery.

Barnhart - those are perfect. I like them better than the Space Man actually. Thank you!
March 9, 2013 at 7:40am     
Jennifer
I think it looks great! Well on your way to a fantastic playroom! btw, what's the wall color?
March 9, 2013 at 12:41pm   
kittybart
Thanks Jennifer! It's Sherwin Williams Papaya. I love it! So much fun!
March 9, 2013 at 4:00pm   
keaparos
love the pool
March 10, 2013 at 4:09pm   
stonehe87
GfjfhjfjgghghfvfyfgidishzhshsfdzbccvhsxssgjchfgggfggggcssfjjvjjhhggjkllgghhfgfhhhvgvvvvfggbhcjhhllppkohdhvnllkkkklllloooohjkkhjjkollkoooolhujkklplkoiooooooooooojftetghhfgfgfjrfsgdtffgguhfsaasgaZkmhgjgyttftgggfgfgggffggghghcfggghgghhhhhhujhuhhhhhh
March 15, 2013 at 8:23am   
Help me pull together this living room!
The 30 foot walls are a bit overwhelming for my meek...
Please help me pull this living room together
We recently purchased these two chair and a halfs,...
Help me pull this room together!!
It is a wide open room 22' x 19'. I envision expanding...
Help me pull my room together - rug, curtains, pillows, etc!
I've made furniture selections (will post other selections)...
Help me pull together my Living Room!
We moved into a brand new house about a year and a...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Paint Color for house
Just purchased this home .. Removed big shrub in front...
Electric or gel fuel fireplace?
Hubby wants life like fireplace- seems like gel fuel...