Accent colors?
betty71
I posted early this week about needing some inspiration. Thanks to you, I have narrowed my choices down. What accent colors would you use with this blue fabric in a dining room? I have included a photo of the furniture I plan to use. I will paint the dresser (use as a buffet) and Chippendale chairs as well as slipcover the parson's chairs.
Liza Jane Interiors
Not sure what colors you are planning to paint your furniture? Orange or yellow always look great with navy blue. Love the fabric you chose!
March 8, 2013 at 12:50PM     
betty71
I am not sure what color to paint them. That is why I asking about accent colors. I was thinking white for the chairs but would like something a little more bright or i teresti g for the dresser.
March 8, 2013 at 1:03PM   
Sorry, missed your other post. Where is my favorite Asian style fabric going?

I agree, for that fabulous side board, I think white might be too bedroom looking, but a Chinese red or yellow in a lacquer would be stunning.
2010 Colorado Homes & Lifestyles "Home of the Year"
Santorini Print Fabric, Marine
March 8, 2013 at 1:10PM     
Annie Sloan chalk paint for the sideboard in Aubusson Blue would be amazing - you don't have to sand it all, then you wax it in. I like the off white for the chiars - with the navy it will brighten everything in the space. I just am chalk painting my dining room sideboard using paloma - and love the way it really highlights the utetalls - you won't want a distressed look, but when you wax it in, you really get the trim highlights and yours are beautiful trim elements. Check it out online -you won't even use a quart.
March 8, 2013 at 1:11PM   
betty71
I was thinking to slipcover the parsons chairs in white, use that awesome blue fabric on the seats of the Chippendale chairs. Then use the fabric to make lumbar sized pillows to put on the white slipcovered chairs. I am considering buying a large amount of that fabric and doing drapes later when we move in 3 months. We don't have windows in the dining room right now (ugh).
March 8, 2013 at 1:20PM   
Room Service- Residential Design Consulting
I agree with the yellow or possibly an orange (but this may not work well with the other wood tones) as an accent color for the room to play off the gorgeous blue in the fabric. The sideboard should be one of those colors as the white will definitely make it more bedroom-y. I would probably go with a high sheen, glossy paint. I would not paint the wood on the Chippendale chairs as I think they will tie in the finish on the table.
March 8, 2013 at 1:33PM   
betty71
Here is a board I put together of rooms that are calling me right now.
http://pinterest.com/lilibetty7/dining-room-inspiration/
March 8, 2013 at 1:38PM   
Definitely buy enough fabric for your windows. If you are moving in 3 months, don't bother doing anything at all. The room is fine for now. Then start fresh in your new dining room. Any chance you have more Chippendales?
March 8, 2013 at 1:58PM   
debbion
A touch of hot pink would be a nice accent. I think I would also be looking at creams with a lot of texture. Also lighter hues of your blue in the beautiful fabric. Have you thought of giving the dresser a lacquered finish with some gold Japaning?
March 8, 2013 at 2:05PM   
betty71
Right now I am clearing out things I dont want to move. I had sold my dining set and pulled that one out of storage. the plan is to deal with the furniture now while I am restless and then focus on floors, walls, windows, and accessories when we move and I get the shopping bug.

I don't have more chippendale chairs. I found these two for a STEAL at less than $100 for the pair and I found the dresser for $100. It pays to swing through Goodwill. I have found that if you don't mind a little work, you can get some really great pieces.
March 8, 2013 at 2:05PM     
Your dining chairs are a popular choice and you could easily sell them. What if you found more Chippendales, each one different, (ebay) and painted them and the sideboard the same color? Your (wish it were mine) fabric on the windows and the one I posted above (Sunbrella, and good for seats) on the chairs?
March 8, 2013 at 2:07PM   
Roman Novian, Realtor
Canary yellow!
March 8, 2013 at 2:10PM   
Roman Novian, Realtor
Canary yellow!
March 8, 2013 at 2:10PM     
longogene
I love the fabric - I have a lot of navy blue in my house. I also love the buffet. Paint it a high gloss navy blue - accent it with blue and white Chinese ginger jars or lamps. Paint the Chippendales a strong yellow - and slipcover the chairs in an off white.
March 8, 2013 at 2:10PM     
betty71
I actually thought about yellow. This might sound odd, but I look hideous in yellow. I would be afraid to walk in the room and everyone would think I looked ill or something! Lol I also thought about a pretty palm green but not sure if I would like green on that dresser.
March 8, 2013 at 2:13PM   
betty71
This might be a baaaaad idea but what about a sea foam? Would that just be weird? Or a dark coral?
March 8, 2013 at 2:19PM   
Roman Novian, Realtor
Honey boo boo, yellow is the perfect color!
But...I if you can't do the yellow I would go with white, dark green plants, and dark woods.
March 8, 2013 at 2:22PM     
longogene
I think your blue is too strong for Sea Foam. Sea Foam looks fine with Brown, Cream - but not sure about it with a strong blue. Palm Green would work - I would call it Preppy Green.
March 8, 2013 at 2:25PM   
betty71
Any yellow paint color suggestions? Wouldn't hurt to get a chip and check it out.
March 8, 2013 at 2:25PM   
longogene
I think the Yellow has to be a strong yellow - not a pale yellow. If you go into a good paint store with your fabric they may be able to tell you what could work - this may sound horrible but I am so bad at picking paint from chips - I have made horrible mistakes by selecting a chip. I will look up a website that makes furniture in many colors - and send you the link - they list the color.
March 8, 2013 at 2:28PM     
March 8, 2013 at 2:34PM   
bluenan
Love, love the fabric. I think white slipcovers, white Chippendale chairs and I agree with judyg, Chinese red lacquer sideboard. Definitely do drapes out of the same chinoiserie fabric. You've got awesome finds, so much more charming and collected than new factory finished furniture.
March 8, 2013 at 2:56PM     
betty71
Thank you Bluenan. I prefer to use quality found pieces as much as possible. It feels more personal. I like to browse the flea markets, vendor malls, antique stores and thrift stores. The bonus is that the money I save by repurposing can go to splurge on great fabrics and accessories.
March 8, 2013 at 3:26PM     
qtbern
I'm loving these ideas
March 8, 2013 at 4:44PM   
betty71
I could stick with the neutrals and then do the dresser in a bright red, deep coral or just a shiny black. i am leaning to a deep coral. Thoughts?

Here are some inspiration pics that I like. Plus, I have been collecting blue and white china pieces so they would make great accessories.

I really do need to paint those chairs because the finish is awful. they would be a nightmare to refinish with all of the carving. The question is, should I paint the chairs black, white or a soft white/ivory? The fabric will support any of those. And then what color for the slipcovers? And what to do with the handles on the dresser?

I also have the server below which goes nicely with the finish on the table. It is in another part of the house but can be moved. Please excuse the liquor bottles on it. When I sold my dining room set, they were displaced. My china is actually in their storage bags and on the floor in the corner of my now empty formal living room. Lol
March 8, 2013 at 5:06PM   
betty71
The other inspiration.
March 8, 2013 at 5:07PM     
longogene
I painted a similar chair last year a Pear White (a spray paint) I bought at Home Depot..
March 8, 2013 at 5:21PM   
bluenan
Your blue and white china will look wonderful with deep coral, as will the blue and white fabric, go with it!
March 8, 2013 at 6:06PM   
Stacy Lane
I think the chairs should be black, the sideboard should be deep coral, and the slipcovers should be ivory. Black handles on the dresser. :) It will all looks stunning.
March 13, 2013 at 7:26AM   
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Need advice for my space
This is a apartment so there are limitation when it...
Edwardian House Sitting Room Ideas Please
My family and I have recently moved into a beautiful...
Wood bathroom decor
Hi all. This is a very small bathroom in my new home....