Update my country kitchen
taraleighgolzbein
Here are pictures of the kitchen in the house I recently bought. These are snapped with the prior owners stuff but it looks the same minus the decor, curtains and rug under the kitchen table. HELP! My first thought was to repaint. The cabinets are in good shape though. I like a modern/contemporary look. Any and all suggestions welcome! The red paint and border have to go for sure but what do you think about the cabinets? My house is very open, great lighting and the living room is beige walls.
Wil-Sand Custom Woodwork Ltd
If you are looking for an expensive way to renovate your kitchen you could always paint the cabinets to match your tastes. I think a nice off-white colour would look nice with some new cabinet handles and drawer pulls. That could make the kitchen look almost brand new.

If you have a bit more money to spend you can also change the cabinet doors to a different profile and colour and keep the cabinet boxes so you don't have to do a total renovation of your kitchen. I definitely am not a fan of the yellow stain personally. Though from the pictures that you provided the profile of the doors looks pretty nice.

If you wanted to you could strip the stain and restain them yourself...that is very time consuming though. You have unlimited options to update your kitchen depending on how much money you are willing to spend.

I hope this helps!
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 2:34PM
Wil-Sand Custom Woodwork Ltd
sorry when I said expensive way to renovate your kitchen I meant to say inexpensive.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 2:36PM
nasmijati
I would not paint the cabinets just yet. You have white appliances, so unless you use appliance white paint on the cabinets, any other kind of white is likely to look "dirty." You also have nice, light color countertops and backsplash.

Remove the wallpaper border. Get some gray primer on that red wall, and paint it white. Red is a particularly difficult color to "paint out," which is why gray primer might work best. You will probably need two coats of paint.

Now, the room should be considerably lighter. Clean the cabinet doors and cabinet boxes really well. You might even consider painting the inside of the cabinets a glossy white.

Now, live with it for a few weeks. Then decide if you want to change the cabinet and drawer pulls.
5 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 4:47PM
Superior Remodeling LLC
If you like contemporary I would replace all the appliances with Stainless and Paint the cabinet boxes to a color of your choosing maybe a nice off white. Get someone to replace all the doors and drawer fronts with a shaker style door and add some nice granite countertops and you will have a nice contemporary kitchen for not a lot of money.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 7:38PM
Interiors Unleashed
I agree with above, repaint the walls first. This will give you a better sense of the space.

If keeping the cabinets, I would suggest choosing a wall paint color that blends with them (not matching but a color that does not compete with them, think calm.) This would help the cabinets to become less of a statement. Next I would replace the light fixture and fan to a style you like. You can try some knobs/pulls to see if you can find any that will work with your new lights and update the cabinet look.

There are inexpensive backsplash materials and certainly worth a look. I can't tell what yours is currently.

When you add your furnishings, art, counter stools, window treatment, different paint, new light fixtures and fan, perhaps new backsplash and cabinet knobs/pulls it might be enough. If you still want to paint cabinets, try doing the island only.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 8:02PM
Those cabinets will never look contemporary until they are painted. Go two-tone - white uppers will blend in the existing appliances, but take the bottom half taupe and the island taupe too. You will want to pick the taupe color to go with your accent color / color palette - a good option http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7532-urban-putty/

That will work with the tops and possibly the backsplash - though you may want to add ceramic subway tiles to match the tops.

Choose something classic like decorators white for the upper cabinets. Change all the hardware to modern shapes in chrome or stainless. You are going to want to square off the pass through "opening" on the wall. You may want to place a long narrow stainless rolling table right up against wall here as a modern element to advance your contemporary style (and have another surface to work on) or something like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30219832/

change the lighting out to sleek classic fixtures - a modern fan over the table not the cooking area and multipaned lighting there
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 8:33PM
It appears that the only lighting in the kitchen comes from the fan. If that's the case then instead of replacing the fan with another fan, I'd go for an island fixture with multiple lights. Undercabinet lighting would be helpful too if you don't already have it. Consider also adding some recessed can lighting above the countertops.

Then I'd also update the lighting over the breakfast table with a drum shade fixture, or if you have a rectangular table, you could consider track lighting.

If you're going to have a couple of barstools, I'd select simple backless modern ones.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Contemporary Saucers 41" Wide Satin Nickel Island Pendant Chandelier Urban Loft Shade Chandelier - 2 finishes
4 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 10:00AM
taraleighgolzbein
Maybe contemporary modern isn't the right choice. Basically I want to update this look. I wonder if it is possible without painting cabinets. Let me find a pic.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 10:17AM
TRAM Construction
Painting the cabinets along with new hardware is the simplest and least expensive way to transform your kitchen. A little sweat equity will go a long way. Also, if you could add some recessed lighting and get rid of the light on the fan it would be a dramatic effect.
6 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 11:06AM
taraleighgolzbein
What about this
4 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 11:19AM
The black granite is very attractive with the stained cabinets. If a fan is necessary, for a contemporary look I would prefer one with a simpler light source.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 11:38AM
Valvorie Dunn
Tara, that look is very nice. If you want to keep your furniture, I would paint it black. Change your hardware out & get more transitional lighting & fan if needed.
1 Like   March 9, 2013 at 12:02PM
Valvorie Dunn
An ivory honed travertine will pick up the honey color in your cabinets. This is from the Tile Shop.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 12:11PM
taraleighgolzbein
I am naturally drawn to an espresso color cabinetry
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 12:16PM
taraleighgolzbein
I love this redo
1 Like   March 9, 2013 at 12:19PM
taraleighgolzbein
I am afraid to mess it up. How easy is it if I get a few people to help.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 12:22PM
Valvorie Dunn
You can strip & stain your cabinets but I don't think you will like them. Your cabinets have a large grain pattern & that will show through. Most espresso cabs have a much finer grain. You might do a resurface with new doors.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 12:29PM
14eighth
I would change out the ceiling fan. It looks too country. I`m not sure about the angles on the pass thru opening. I would square the corners out. Once you paint and change out the furnishings and curtains, then reassess.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 6:15PM
Kathleen
Have you thought of adding open shelving around the windows along with a clean line type of window covering?
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 8:51AM
janetgregg
Before and After Photos. We have very similar original builder kitchens. I had a professional come in to re-paint the cabinets & island, stain the floors because I couldn't stand the honey-colored stain going on everywhere. Also, I ditched the formica countertop and added granite. Other inexpensive upgrades, new brushed nickel knobs and a fresh coat of cafe latte-hued paint on the walls. Last, I took off the boring flourescent overhead lights and installed inexpensive tracklights from IKEA. My next project maybe to add a backsplash, but I'm still looking for the right glass tiles.
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 9:13AM
janetgregg
oops, here are the photos !
11 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 9:21AM
jessicakayj
@janet.. Your cabinets look great! We are thinking about doing this to our honey oak cab's. are you able to see the grain? Did they take several costs of primer?
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 11:20AM
taraleighgolzbein
@janet how much did it cost to have someone come in and repaint the cabinetry?
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 11:29AM
kah416
@janetgregg Your kitchen is beautiful! You hit the nail right on the head! :) Great idea for the design dilemma kitchen above!
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 11:35AM
janetgregg
Thanks for the compliments. I was advised that my oak cabinet doors were still in good condition and were of good quality oak so it made no sense to replace the cabinet doors. I was so glad to have been introduced to these cabinet refacers !
@jessicakayj...It took 11 coats of paint and you cannot see the grain at all. "Quality Textures" is the name of the cabinet refacer. They took down all the cabinet doors, took them to their factory to "bake" and another guy worked at my kitchen, spray-painting the frames to match the color.
@taraleighgolzbein... for my kitchen's size, it cost $3,000 and it took about 3-4days. We also asked them to paint over the honey-stained oak cabinets in the kids' bathroom. They did an equally great job.
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 3:44PM
Accentz by Design
What a transformation! So often I have clients that are unsure about painting their wood cabinets! The "after" pictures say it all! Well Done!
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 6:42AM
n01rere
I just bought a home that has the honey oak cabinets and white appliances- hate that look - all your eye goes to first is the appliances- this was so helpful because I want to make the cabinets white. Now I am pretty sure I am on the right track. thanks
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 6:54AM
Gray Sky Designs
Don't be afraid of color! I had my doubts when a client of mine called to say that she wanted olive green cabinets, but I have to say that I really think it works. I DEFINITELY agree with everyone who said that you should lose the red walls. The dark walls create an intimate space, but I think it would open up the room if you lightened to something more neutral. And the $3000 price from above is just about right. It's a good investment if you make sure to use quality paint and a solid topcoat. Good luck!
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 7:23AM
Studio 76 Kitchens and Baths
I agree that eye-popping color in your kitchen will give it the latest transitional style that will turn a few heads! Don't be afraid just to replace your island, add storage with a different configuration, and change your tops to a white color that will blend and take the eye "off" your existing appliances. Eliminate a couple wall cabinets with white - painted open shelves for drama. There are "elements" of the attached picture that you could incorporate into your new kitchen design. http://www.designcraftcabinets.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?catalogId=21001&langId=-1&storeId=19001&espot=GibsonMission
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 7:52AM
amelialouise3
Question to Janetgregg. Did you leave the oak trim on the back door and windows? I have oak cabinets that still look good, but want to paint them. But that leads to the oak in the adjoining family room and all the oak stained trim. I do plan to leave the oak floors. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but have similar cabinet issues.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 11:43AM
janetgregg
I had a cheaper house painter come in and paint the trims on the windows and sliding doors, since it didn't need to be as specialized as the kitchen cabinets. The funny thing about our kind of oak cabinets is, I was told by the regular painter, they have a polyutherane layer so he couldn't simply paint over it. My floors are also originally honey- colored oak too. I had them stained much darker by another guy, one who installs hardwood floors. It was good solution, I love the contrast of the off-white cabinets, white trims and dark wood floors. Also, for added interest, the kitchen island is black ! As you can see, the changes done were all cosmetic. :)
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:18PM
teresataylor
I transformed my good condition builder grade oak cabinets just last year. Now they are a dark espresso. I spent roughly $250 for the kitchen and three bathrooms - and some sweat equity of course. I used General Finishings Java Gel Stain. I do have some light spots on some of the kitchen doors - the key is to do light sanding - I think I over-sanded. I hand sanded the bathrooms and they turned out better. The green wall color is coming down this year.
5 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:31PM
Great job!
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 5:19PM
Want to update my dining room with country chic
Dining room is dated with dark wood paneling on lower...
Want to update my outdoor space in rural horse country
Would like landscaping that will work in water scarce...
I want to update my country French dining suite-morecontemporry- ideas
I have a Drexel Heritage set and was wondering if painting...
Need help to update French Country kitchen
I have a beautiful kitchen that has has caramel colored...
Coffee shop, Restaurant
Hello my friends , please tell me what do you think...
Exterior colour
We are wanting to paint our house a more modern. All...
Help!! Brick fireplace with ugly wood paneling!
What on earth can we do to hide this hideous wood paneling...
Window treatment needed
We are renovating our downstairs room into a bedroom....
Brick fireplace remodel- help!!
I am trying to remodel a fireplace. I'm already cutting...