How do I update this pink and blue tiled bathroom to sell the house?
jmw12
Since I am selling I would prefer not to tear out the tile or european tub etc.. Any ideas on how to update it? The floor is also tiled in 1x1 pink and blue. I bought the house this way...Thanks for all suggestions!
witch06
Your walls seem to be painted beige or light yellow... (maybe it's only my computer) but I would definitely paint them crisp white and replace the towels with white towels. Remove the silver shell and put a little white basket with white soaps and a white guest towel rolled inside. I would also replace your accessories to modern ones or even easier put your actual accessories in the closet during visit time. Then I would also suggest to paint your cabinets doors white too. The more neutral and impersonal a house the better people are ready to buy it. I would also take of the flowers from the toilets.
March 8, 2013 at 3:50pm     
Excellent suggestions above. I ditto each of them.
March 8, 2013 at 3:56pm     
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
This really depends how much you want to spend....to REALLY update this tub and tile wall unit all needs to be removed. You can build in a square shower unit with all tiled floors and walls and get away from the tub altogether. A lot of people are removing the large bathtubs for large walk-in showers these days.... have frameless glass doors for the front of the shower and maybe a little ledge/seat on the side. Good luck!
March 8, 2013 at 3:58pm   
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
The rest of the room should follow suit...new cabinetry, remove the tiled walls and make have someone design a wall unit for storage to the left of the sink area.
March 8, 2013 at 4:00pm   
kmadayag
It looks like the tub is in decent condition. You can have the tub "painted" or refinished white. Just google refinish bath tub. It's not that expensive and will completely change the look of the room. After that paint the walls a white or light grey and it will look good as new.
March 8, 2013 at 4:03pm     
jmw12
We really didn't want to spend very much since we will lose money on the sale and have another bathroom to deal with as well. Thought there might be a way to do something creative with paint. The current wall paint matches the master bedroom - more of a beige yellow. Maybe a new vanity? Maybe a re-enamel of the tile...?
March 8, 2013 at 4:04pm   
glendalehousewishlist
Probably the least expensive thing to do is to repaint the walls and cabinets (and possibly the cabinet handles). I agree that white or gray would work well. Gray walls and white cabinets could work too. I would just get a shower curtain that would then match the bathroom. If you can get a different shower head, that could help too (but I don't think that's necessary). Some rugs would also help tie in the colors.Can you add trim around the mirror?
March 8, 2013 at 4:48pm     
I also ditto witch06. White paint..you could also "glam" it up with pretty glass/crystal knobs on your freshly painted white vanity. A crisp white cotton shower curtain as well.
March 8, 2013 at 4:52pm     
jennicon
Definitely paint walls and cupboards white. Add deluxe thick white towels you can take with you. Change knobs for glass or crystal. Add a white orchid/flowers and gorgeous liquid hand soap for display. Roll up some white hand towels and a coordinating pink face washer. Remove prints and flowers on toilet. It is about making it as neutral as possible so people can imagine their own things there. Make sure it is ultra clean and stainless is shiny. I have just sold my home and this is what we did.. worked a treat!
March 8, 2013 at 5:16pm     
jmw12
Love all the suggestions thank you! @glendalehousewishlist Regarding putting trim around the mirror I could if on the left and right side of the mirror you are ok with the trim beginning there above where the tile goes up? I am guessing you want white trim, how wide?
March 8, 2013 at 6:45pm   
Joan Swift Massey
Don't fight it. I suggest you go to Retrorenovation page and just look at some of the vintage bathrooms. You may become inspired. It just seems to me that you need to jazz it up a bit. This can be done with accessories and a different wall color. I just feel that too often people tear out and pay big money for something that will be out of style in a few years anyway. So why not embrace what is already there. Since it is in perfect shape. Don't be pressured into spending money to stay current. Nothing stays current... :) Have some fun with the space.
March 8, 2013 at 7:04pm     
jmw12
Joan Swift Massey: I went to the site and have been stuck on it for hours...thanks...sorry I got rid of the turquoise blue bathroom now...;-) Unfortunately realtors do not like my retro bathrooms so I will continue with the plan to keep most of what I have and enhance it. Interesting to find out I have been ruining the tub myself with all the harsh cleaners I have used trying to make it shiny...
March 8, 2013 at 8:49pm   
Keitha
Agree with the white. What about adding 2 white shower curtains instead of one.....one on each short side of the shower rod. Lay a fluffy white towel over the center of the tub topped with a large bar of handmade or French soap. These tricks would help mask the PINK tub further.
March 8, 2013 at 9:03pm     
glendalehousewishlist
Found this on youtube as an option:
for trim and where you can order: http://www.moen.com/mirrorscapes/1000-series/_/R-CSI:MC1000W. Pinkish clear knobs would tie your cabinets (should you paint them white) with the pink accents (but clear would work too) http://www.etsy.com/listing/121567546/pink-glass-knob-clear-shiny-faceted?ref=sr_gallery_42&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_page=3&ga_search_query=pink+knobs&ga_view_type=gallery.
March 8, 2013 at 9:13pm     
jmw12
@glendalehousewishlist this trim is very cool! Thank you!
March 9, 2013 at 7:28am   
janishill
Just seeing this, so will reinterate what has already been said:

1) Paint walls crisp white. Use semi-gloss paint.
2) Paint trim crisp white using high gloss paint.
3) Paint vanity and cabinet door crisp white using high gloss paint
4) Use two white shower curtains. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40311678
These are extra long which will 'hide' the tub
5) Frame mirror.
6) Fluffy white towels (tie loosly with white ribbon)

Here are the extras

1) Put loofa in shower niche
2) Add large fluffy white rug in the center of floor
4) Place a bouquet of white roses in a clear vase on top of the vanity. You can find realistic fakes these days. Or a live white orchid. (Lowe's has them for cheap.
5) Directly in front of the flowers place a short stack (3) of white hand towels (neatly folded.) On top place a hand sized, smooth (gray) stone; just as you would a paper weight.
6) To the right of the sink place a reed diffuser.
7) Place a small basket on the back of the toilet and fill with TP. Or make a triangular stack.
8) Purchase a white frame to fit the area beside the shower (where you have the 2 prints now). Take it with you to your local printer (Kinko's) Have them print out something like this: http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Good-Morning-Beautiful-Silver-Posters_i8751399_.htm
Or "You are Ravishing" - which would make most women want to buy your house! :-D

Hope to see updates!
March 16, 2013 at 1:52pm     
jmw12
More great suggestions with specifics which is really helpful. Thank you! Other than replacing the pics quickly I should be able to pull this together this week and will post pics!
March 17, 2013 at 5:28am     
loumeigs
That is a beautiful bathroom. I agree; white walls, towels and white the cabinet. Better yet...find a vintage one at the restore with the mirror and glass shelves inside and replace it with that one. Play up the vintage. It's a big market out there and growing. Change the faucet out with one like the pictured one (sayco LF404/LF402) that is more period accurate (Briggs has been making that faucet for over 50 years).

Get some old postcards and frame them in oversized frames to put up in a grouping. Misc. stuff like that for decor.

Wow, that is a fantastic bathroom that will last for another 50-60 years!
March 19, 2013 at 10:14pm     
Distinguished Flooring LLC
Well done witch06
March 20, 2013 at 5:43am   
jmw12
Thanks to everyone's wonderful input I am ready to see if this helps our selling! Attached are the pics based on your input with little budget. Always open to more suggestions if you see something that doesn't work...Thank you!
April 14, 2013 at 2:29pm     
kathysavage
You've done a great job. I would spend a little more $ and replace the faucet with something period like the above suggestion. Looking great!
April 14, 2013 at 2:41pm     
I can't tell what is on top of the toilet. The walls haven't been painted white. I would remove one towel from bar so it doesn't look crowded. I would remove the art from the wall. The dish on vanity counter needs to move out from corner about 6".
April 14, 2013 at 2:44pm     
Arbutus Interiors
I think you've done a great job on a limited budget - I would still paint the walls pale grey or white if you have any left over energy and $ - good luck on the sale.
April 14, 2013 at 2:48pm     
jmw12
Thanks Kathy, thought we still had the original faucet but no luck...Carolyn, It is as a silver metal basket with scented oil, toilet paper and extra hand towels. Have not had a chance to paint the walls white as the walls were just painted the color you see when the master bedroom was painted the same color...Thank you for more suggestions!
April 14, 2013 at 2:52pm   
Valvorie Dunn
I had a tub like that & absolutely loved it. I would paint the walls also & take down the two prints. Replace them with something a little more current. I'm not sure about the light over the window. Seems strange to me.
April 14, 2013 at 2:59pm     
jmw12
Valvorie, I have discovered that I can never find prints when I am on a mission to get them.Hopefully something will jump out at some point. The light over the window is an original infrared heat lamp and I haven't been able to part with it.. I'd love to find another one that looks great but when it gets cold they are wonderful...
April 14, 2013 at 3:04pm   
You've made nice progress, jmw! Keep up the good work.
April 14, 2013 at 3:32pm     
Valvorie Dunn
Wow, I hadn't seen any infrared lamps like that...and you are so right about them warming you up!
April 14, 2013 at 7:02pm     
Valvorie Dunn
Btw, framing the mirror was a great idea. Looks really nice!
April 14, 2013 at 7:04pm     
Happnie Homes
You definitely need to get rid of the pink. Find a company that will spray your tub and sink and have the vanity painted as well. The tile can also be sprayed with the tub but it looks neutral in the pics and might be a nice contrast to the white on the tub and sink.
April 14, 2013 at 7:39pm   
backbonemountain
Lots of white looks great! Put the two pictures above the towel rack closer together. Use only one towel on the rack and make it bigger and plusher. Candlesticks at different heights on counter makes you want to take a bath. Or a large, tall jar with soaps piled up. Make the bathroom smell like lavender for a spa experience.
April 14, 2013 at 8:08pm     
kathleen MK
Your changes with white bridge the retro style and current spa trends and look great.
I'm not fond of the shower curtain texture. If the tub finish is still in good shape leave the curtain open for showings to open up the space. The tile reads more grey on my screen. Maybe an almost white pearl grey wall paint. For replacing the prints get something with a touch of pink. Georgia O'Keefe's "White Iris" has very subtle pink and blue tints that would work with your tub and tiles. The copy in my classroom was a clearance poster from World Market but you could get an art history text from an used book store and frame a smaller print.
April 14, 2013 at 9:18pm     
wickedwhite
Great work! The cabinets look much better, and the accessories are a big improvement. I would opt for more simple shower curtains. These are a little fussy and might not suit all buyers. I would also go the extra mile and paint the walls white. It will make a big difference in freshening up the space. It also looks like you have enough of a transition from the bedroom so you wouldn't have to touch those walls.
April 15, 2013 at 3:57am     
jmw12
wickedwhite and kathleen MK, I tried simple white curtains and they seems to be like a hospital barrier - hence the extreme opposite but I will try opening it and seeing if that helps. kathleen MK, there seems to be several versions of the White Iris when I googled it...which wall were you thinking?
April 15, 2013 at 6:06pm   
montaguemp
I love your bathroom. So many choices. Someone has already suggested retro renovations, this is an excellent site the 1950s' home. Another one with bathroom style/decor is MidCenturyStyle Homes.
April 15, 2013 at 10:15pm   
kathleen MK
Bad memory, mine is actually "LIGHT Iris" I believe the date was1924. I'm a little rattled today checking on a daughter at Boston College. She is safe thank God. Any way probably any of the more subtle colored O'Keefe's would work . Her work has a more modern flair but other soft colored florals could work too.
April 15, 2013 at 10:22pm   
How do I get a bathroom like that, just not so pink?
I want to redesign my bathroom. I'm 16, and I really...
Starting a furniture business. How do I sell on house market place.
I started filling out paper work to sell my stuff on...
Need to update pink appliances in a bathroom in old farm house
The tub, the sink and the toilet are all pink and tiles...
Should we buy this?
My bf and I have been looking for months for a new...
Tap water or bottled water?
When you're thirsty, what do you grab - the tap and...
Living room furniture, rug and colors?!
I'm trying to work out what to do in this room. The...
Need to match couch with new blinds
Have new aqua roman blinds and need to re- upholster...
How Bad Is Bad?
Well, the cabinet crew followed the drawings and completed...