Help I'm really confused
qtbern
I'm considering painting or staining (haven't found anyone to give me a quite to stain) these cabinets either a espresso color or a cream color. Help me decide which would look better. My granite countertops are chocolate bourdux. Also I need a nice backsplash as well. I want an elegant look. Oh and yes I am replacing to light fixture as well. ( anyone want to buy it lol). Thank you for you help.
0825sam
I've been in the preserve the wood category lately when the cabinets are simple like yours but with that granite I think a cream would be log
March 8, 2013 at 3:28PM     
0825sam
Oops lovely and really change the whole look of your room
March 8, 2013 at 3:28PM     
Judy M
I would paint cabinets a soft white. Recover the seats on chairs and add a pendant light over the sink.
If your budget allows I would add the small cabinets with glass fronts over the top of your cabinets to bring them up to the ceiling and add recessed lights in the ceiling.

Oh and I would remove the middle drapery panel on the window. Replace with 2 panels.
March 8, 2013 at 3:28PM     
All 4 Show, LLC
I think either one will look great! However, I too, am flip flopping on paint versus dark stain...I've heard others with white cabinets complaining about keeping them clean...do you have little, sticky hands in your house...lol! I have 3 kids and am nervous about keeping white cabinets clean! Also, I do recommend if you do either one to get someone to professionally do them, especially the painting...a bad paint job will ruin them...good luck...and please post the before and after photo for all to see! :)
March 8, 2013 at 3:29PM     
qtbern
Judy M. Awesome idea on with the cabinets in too with glass. I'll have to look into the pricing.
March 8, 2013 at 4:15PM   
qtbern
All For Show. No little ones. Any suggestions on a backsplash.
March 8, 2013 at 4:16PM   
Judy M
check out the "before and after" section. Someone added those small glass cabinets and painted them and it looked awesome.
March 8, 2013 at 4:27PM     
All 4 Show, LLC
I would pick the back splash first before your cabinet paint color is chosen! There are so many "whites" to choose from! I love the look of subway tile with granite. Especially, if you have under cabinet lighting! It's a classic style...it comes in a variety of colors, and I think it would add so much character to your kitchen...have fun... :)
March 8, 2013 at 4:39PM     
Judy M
All 4 Show is right, you should know which direction you want to go in for a backsplash, otherwise you'll be back here asking "now what backsplash can i find to go with my painted cabinets"?
March 8, 2013 at 4:52PM     
nikitasmom
Check out http://rustoleumtransformations.com/
Many of the before and after pics show cabinets going to espresso. Also you may find the comments useful. I find myself more partial to the combo of paint and glazing.
March 8, 2013 at 5:19PM     
qtbern
I'm wondering if I choose to paint the cabinets cream does it matter that my woodwork is white?
March 8, 2013 at 6:02PM   
thislittlehouse
Get a solid glass panel splash back - easy to clean and they can make it any colour you want. I've seen it done the same colour as the cabinets. It isn't too matchy-matchy because the textures are the point of difference, and it also makes the bench top the star.

Definitely go with a soft warm white. It's lovely, will not date and is easy to keep clean - I just spray and wipe mine as needed.
March 8, 2013 at 6:46PM     
Elite Fixtures
Be sure to layer your light. Recessed lights are a good start, and adding under cabinet lights also can do wonders! But I think you're off to a good start! :)
March 8, 2013 at 9:19PM     
qtbern
@elite fixtures. Can you give me some suggestions of lighting over the kitchen table? Should I do pendent lights over the small island? Thank you
March 9, 2013 at 5:52AM   
qtbern
@ Thislittlehouse, what color are you suggestion for the cabinets and glass backsplash?
March 9, 2013 at 5:54AM   
Elliason Concepcion
The looks and colors of your kitchen ( cabinets etc. ) looks great it doesn't need any update. What makes them ugly is the white ceiling light near the gorgeous chandelier. Try to remove that ceiling light and replace it with at least 3 recessed lighting. Warm white is the ideal color for your furnitures not cool white. LEDs are ideal but can be expensive at buying but will save electricity costs by 80%. Halogen bulbs has the same price range like LEDs but they die earlier, heats up badly and has the same electricity costs of Incandescent bulbs. Do not use compact fluorescent, warm-white bulbs. They look ugly. LEDs are efficient but for me, go with halogens to add accent to your beautiful cabinets.
March 9, 2013 at 6:59AM   
qtbern
@Elliason Concepcion, thank you. I feel the cabinet do not match or compliment the countertop. Can you give me some assistance in tying everything together. Maybe a beautiful simple elegant backsplash. I'm open to keep thing cabinets as is, maybe chaning the hardware. It would certainly save me a lot of money. I've gotten estimates to stain the cabinets and all were like 4,000, I not looking to spend that much money. Do you think I should darken the floors? I wanted to extend the wood into the family room, so I could darken them at that time. I am in the process of finding an electrician to add recess lighing in that area. Was thinking maybe 7 in total and maybe two pendents over the small island. Also I'm thinkign about gettig new chairs for the table may the rattan looking ones or chocolate really nice chairs. I need some help bringing elegences in this area and also in my family room. Some wow factor. Any advice I would greatly appreciate. Maybe I could use the money I would spend to stain the cabinets to remove that sliding door and replace with french doors. Please help me. Thank you.
March 9, 2013 at 7:20AM   
To float sofa in the room or have it against the wall.
Almost every design advice I have seen says to float...
marble flooring
My husband really loves marble but I have read that...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Love the look of wooden backsplash but is a good choice?
Great look in this picture, we are really thinking...
tongue and groove ceiling in LR/Kitchen makes areas dark. HELP!
I have a medium tone tongue and groove ceiling in the...