Switches and recess lighting
saracharaf
Builder wants to charge us $500 to install Decora switches all over our 3100 square foot house. Also $800 for a package of 10 recess lights. Is that reasonable.
Ironwood Builders
Installed? And the lights are CFL or LED or halogen?...but just switches, not plugs? Not too bad by Northern California standards.
March 8, 2013 at 9:24PM   
Seems okay to me, too. I usually figure about $100 per recessed light.
March 8, 2013 at 9:44PM   
Ironwood Builders
Carolyn...I've stepped on your toes...in Sydney. Check me and see what you think.
March 8, 2013 at 9:59PM   
saracharaf
Installed, standard regular lights nothing fancy. And yes I guess only the switches. So it is reasonable? Husband thinks the guys is ripping us off and we can get them done for much cheaper later on.
March 9, 2013 at 12:37AM   
Ironwood Builders
Well, if he says so! In construction we have a term, economy of scale. That means when the excavator comes to dig the footings...ALL the digging gets done. There are costs associated with just showing up. No such thing as a free lunch. So your electrician is already on site, you already paid him to show up that day...he's charging for the extra material and the extra labor with no trip charges. What a deal. I'm on my phone, so I can't check, but wasn't part of the job adding lights? How the heck are you going to add locations on a finished job for less than during the rough phases? If my memory of the original post is incorrect, no worries, the extras for trip charges still apply. My regular electrician came out and did some troubleshooting on two phone jacks for me. He spent an hour taking care of it (I don't have his toning equipment to do the job). I gave him $100. With travel time and materials, he made maybe $40 an hour. Then there are the 30% small business tax rates and insurance...down to $25 an hour!
March 9, 2013 at 7:33AM   
@Ironwood: You are in Sydney, as in Australia? And you're still helping solve dilemmas. That's dedication! My toes are tough and didn't feel a thing. But how are YOUR toes. I think I was the one stepping on toes.
March 9, 2013 at 7:43AM   
saracharaf
Yes we get 4 recess lights and the regular switches anything else is an upgrade!!!
March 9, 2013 at 7:47AM   
Ironwood Builders
No Carolyn, the post came from Sydney. I'm in Sonoma County, California... You know I try to steer clear of "taste" issues and leave it for you designers, but my tongue is torn up from biting it, so I jumped in..of course, every other post says I'm wrong! How not! Apologies to our thread poster, we don't really have direct communication here on Houzz.
March 9, 2013 at 8:01AM     
Ironwood Builders
Sara, I still think the costs are reasonable! Adding lights after drywall is super expensive! Do at least hat much now.
March 13, 2013 at 4:45AM   
how many recessed lights on one switch?
is it too much to have 10 50watt halogen lights on...
Splitting 3 way switches that control kitchen recessed lights
Hello, We have a 3 way switch that controls 8 recessed...
I want to switch out my ceiling recessed lights
We recently purchased a home that has recessed caned...
Does this light have a built-in on off switch or wall switch?
I need a sconce that can turn on & off on the light...
digital signage
Everyone knows that in order to sell successfully in...
front door color...
wondering how to handle the paint color on the front...
Bedroom redesign to an office
Please help give this room a face lift. So far only...
Design help for nursery
This room would be a "future" nursery. All furniture...
Need help with curb appeal. Curved drive? Porch? Paint? Help!
Renovating. Already need a new roof, paint and gutters...