rupsha iqbal
March 9, 2013
The Benjamin Moore Sheen Chart runs from:

flat/matte
eggshell
pearl
satin
semi-gloss

Do you have a preference as far as flat/matte vs. eggshell for walls? I lean slightly toward eggshell but everyone I've been speaking with is championing matte for walls. For the hallway walls I've heard it's better to have a slight sheen, and of course for the bath/kitchen as well; I like the way the satin looks (not too glossy, but the pearl barely has a gloss), and thought it would be good for those areas, as well as for all trim and kitchen cabinets. I realize that semi-gloss would be more functional for the cabinets but it's too glossy for me I think. I also like the idea of using satin for the ceilings. What do you think?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
For walls I prefer eggshell. Flat/matte is so lifeless, IMO. For cabinets I prefer semi-gloss for it's washability.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:46AM
PRO
Bashaw Construction
To a certain extent the condition of the walls have to be taken into account. If the walls are not perfect then a lower sheen will hide minor defects. Also the position of the walls in relationship to the light coming into the room thru the windows will show more imperfections during certain times of day, so the lower the sheen the less visible the imperfections of the wall surface. For the most part if you have a high traffic areas such as baths and kitchens, that need to be cleaned then anything from eggshell to semi gloss could be used because of its washability. On ceilings I like to always use a HIGH QUALITY flat paint. Bottom line is hire a good painter! Have him put up samples of each sheen and use your own judgement
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 2:02AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
There are different paints for different uses. In a hallway or stairwell don't use Matt as dirt shows up and is very difficult to remove. Eggshell is a stronger paint and you can wash it down without removing the paint. All the above colmments are valid as well
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 5:28AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
I use a high quality matte most everywhere these days other than trim and more often than not use Benjamin Moore. Their matte finishes have come a long way in the 20 years or so I've been using the product and are easily washed with few issues. The times that something has hit the wall that won't wash off touching up the new line of Aura covers without any hint that it has been.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 5:55AM
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
I think if you have kids or animals also determines the sheen choice.as do wall imperfections mentioned in an earlier comment . It really depends on your style I've seen homes with gloss on the walls and ceilings and it really looks awesome. But it doesn't mean it will work for you . Take in to consideration your needs and likes and try and bring those two together.also aura from benjamin moore makes a bath and spa matte that would hold up better and wash up better in hallways than there standard matte.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 6:28AM