Need help with space planning Living Room please!
Tammy Butow
March 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are looking at getting new couches (these came with the house). Would like to be able to look out the windows at the trees and also watch tv and talk with friends around the living room area. What kind of space planning do you suggest? Our style is eclectic.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Can you reverse the furniture arrangement so that the Tv is on the opposite wall?
March 9, 2013 at 4:19pm     
PRO
Dytecture
Need to see what is happening in the rest of the living room.
March 9, 2013 at 4:34pm     
PRO
Before you dash out the door to buy a new sofa and loveseat, please consider instead that a sofa and two chairs would be a much better combination as it offers much more flexibility in arrangement. So, please hold on here for further insightful suggestions once you show us the rest of the room.
March 9, 2013 at 4:53pm     
Tammy Butow
Here's another picture of the space! Thanks :)
March 9, 2013 at 8:53pm   
Tammy Butow
And another picture... The living room is visible from the kitchen. We would like to get a dining table in the space near the kitchen too. But that will come later! Thanks!!
March 9, 2013 at 8:55pm   
Tammy Butow
This is the view of the whole room :)
March 9, 2013 at 8:56pm   
PRO
Thanks very much for showing us the rest of the room. Since you have stated that you want to look out the windows, I suggest that the sofa and entertainment center swap locations. You'll be able to see out the windows since the sofa will be facing the windows, and you shouldn't have as much glare on the TV.

Will you want leather furniture again? If so, I like the clean lines of the Mitchell Gold leather sofa below. If you prefer a fabric covered sofa, then Room and Board offers the second sofa shown below in 3 different sizes. I earlier suggested you buy 2 chairs. The chairs can go on either end of the sofa or you could place both of them on the end of the room where the bookshelf is located. That would allow more space for a dining table on the end of the room by the kitchen.

If you want your chairs to be recliners, Macy's has this nice one at $799: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/pavia-club-recliner-chair?ID=281645

Note that the furniture I have shown you has fairly narrow arms. That's because I would rather devote sofa or chair space to sitting than to huge arms that aren't needed. It's also part of the simpler, sleeker look that is now popular. You may have room for a third chair and maybe even a fourth one. But I'd start with two and see how much space is left.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Dexter Leather Collection Sofa, No Buttons Loring Sofas Azriel Club Chair
March 10, 2013 at 8:38am