What color should we stain our fence, front porch, side deck and pergola?
nkavouklis
As it says in the subject, we need help choosing colors to stain our fence, front porch, side deck and pergola? For the fence we've tossed around white but we are afraid of it being too much white, especially where the side of the fence is. Also have thought about a dark brown or even a combo of white in the front and dark brown on the side. Thoughts? As far as the deck and porch, we've thought about a gray? It's very similar to our house color but more gray then olive. Pergola is white now...when we painted it we hated all the white...I'm thinking about just cutting it down unless there are any thoughts.
Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks,
Rockin' Fine Finish
You have a lot going on with paint on the house. I don't if introducing more colors would tie all this together . And are you wanting to paint or stain ?
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 8:42AM
nkavouklis
Staining it. Right now the front porch is black and the side deck is gray except for the part we just added which isn't stained any color at all. We want to make the front porch and side deck all the same color. We've thought about white on the fence with some greenery/landscaping to break up all the white and help from adding more colors to the house.
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 9:39AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Do the deck in a dark brown and the fence would be ok in white it really depends in what part of country you are in if it rains alot and gets muddy the fence will look dirty or doit in a light grey.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 12:42PM
mpoulsom
I think I might go for a dark gray/green for the porch..but one thing i would probably do first before you decided on anything else around the house is paint the foundation a darker color (dark brown maybe). You may even want to paint the squared off moldings on the columns the same color as the house are a darker color other than white. I would stain/paint the fence a dark brown. Maybe after that the pergola would be okay in white. If not, you could paint that the dark brown as well. Get a plant/vine growing on that pretty thing and it will be mostly covered in greenery anyway! I wouldn't tear it down. I would also plant some shrubs along the foundation line or some grasses. Something that doea well in your area with your soil type.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 1:13PM
nkavouklis
@mpoulsom I like the idea of changing the foundation of the house. Are you suggesting to just change the base of the column as well as the concrete and lattice in the front as well? Greenery is in the work as far as shrubs and everything goes but I want everything painted first so it will be easier.
@rockinff we live in Florida. I agree white might look dirty. I really like the way the fence looks after a full day of rain, when it is saturated with water...it's a very nice dark brown
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 7:52PM
mpoulsom
there ya go. yes, maybe you could leave the white at the base of the column, but I would leave that til last to take a look at it like that first. I think once the foundation is something other than white, it will change everything. Personally, I would not want a white fence either. Not in this case in anyway. I am not seeing lattice, where is it located?
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 5:35AM
lulubelle4242
absolutely paint the base of the house...same colour as the siding or very close. Lovely home! fence Id paint in a grey that matches your house colour
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 2:48AM
What color should we stain our deck??
We would like to stain our deck... It is currently...
What color should we paint our front and side door.
Our home has a pale green exterior with white trim....
What colour should we stain our cedar siding?
I could use your colour suggestions for staining our...
Hi there! Just wondering what color should we paint our decks and what
This is the house, we just painted the foundation now...
Small loft not working
We just moved in and the furniture I had planned to...
Roof color
My home needs a new roof and its a gambrel style home....
Please help me pick a rug!
Hey guys & Gals, I am having a really hard time...
Help my ugly little house
I know the landscaping needs help - I plan to go for...