Exterior facelift
kshanahan
Need ideas to improve curb appeal. Tuckpointing? Trim color?
tinaobayonet
What do you think is wrong? Your landscaping is nice...the house looks very sweet. Is the paint on the trim above the door the same color as the two half arches and then window trim? Somehow it looks brighter in the pic (along with the window to the left of the door. The other windows completely on the left also look to be different and so completely get "lost" in this pic...although may be your intent? How big is your front yard? Again, lovely.
March 10, 2013 at 5:30am     
camillaworden
I can't comment on tuck pointing because I don't know what that is!! However, I am a landscaper and would suggest removing the tree to the right and possibly the really straight tree in the front to open up the view to the house. Add some island beds that focus your eye to the interesting front door and diversify the plantings beyond the boxwood blobs.
March 10, 2013 at 5:31am   
The photos is a bit small to see, but the house looks fine in the photo.
March 10, 2013 at 6:10am     
bevballew
Beautiful home. Yes bring back the stone. It is hard to see the red tuck pointing but it does not sound right. Would you want to paint the trim around the windows a dark brown? I would just trim up the two large trees and maybe add a landscaping bed in the grassy area...but I have that and it is a lot of work keeping it up so I would say don't unless you want more work.
March 10, 2013 at 6:39am   
I'm having a hard time deciphering the triangle stuck above the stone-trimmed door and window. It seems totally out of place on your home.
March 10, 2013 at 6:49am   
bluenan
Take the single shutters off of the french doors to start, they're odd and unnecessary.
March 10, 2013 at 7:12am   
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Your style of home is kind of a Tudor, with gable on front, half timbered, and a Georgian, a traditional box. Windows with arches remind me of Italianate design in villas. So, almost anything goes! as far as your mix of styles. This is a beautiful home as is, and I agree with above. What do you like and don't like about it? and what do you think you'd like to change?.... some embellishments would be in the landscape at the base of the trees I would make larger round beds, or curving beds. put in groundcover, like periwinkle vines, or the like. Also in the new beds put boulders, with some solar lights, these would accent the trees at night and also light up the boulders. You need to accent your house, not change it!...
March 10, 2013 at 7:19am   
bluenan
Sorry, I don't see boulders in this setting...
March 10, 2013 at 7:24am   
Well, small landscape near the trees. Luckily you can try things out, and see any covering before you commit!
March 10, 2013 at 7:31am   
bluenan
Have you considered taking the shutters off? If you look at your inspiration photos, most don't have shutters. I agree, painting the windows darker, possibly charcoal, would be nice, and changing the tuckpointing to a complementary grey, as well. I know you won't get rid of any trees, here in St. Louis we love our big trees, right?!
March 10, 2013 at 7:39am   
iluvdiy
I agree with removing the shutters. All of them. Maybe add a large wide window box with appropriate corbels under it under the small upstairs window to give it more "weight" and importance. . You could also add small vertical patio trees on either side of the French doors and rearrange the plantings a bit to have the feeling of a more private "courtyard" in front of the French doors so guests aren't confused as to which doors they should use as the front door. Maybe a bit of a green low hedge around a small area with bench or couple chairs there.
March 10, 2013 at 8:04am   
shakerjaebs
It's a beautiful house! I think you need to embrace its quirks. I, too, live in an old house. In looking at an original drawing of our house, we noticed there were no shutters. When we paint the exterior this summer, we are going to remove the shutters. I wonder if you could clean the brick where it's painted black?
March 10, 2013 at 8:04am   
bluenan
Love painted brick, it can make such a remarkable change, but be prepared for the onslaught of "NEVER paint brick" people. I think your biggest challenge with painting the brick would be finding just the right color that complements the red roof, but definitely consider it!
March 10, 2013 at 8:08am   
ikwewe
Tuckpointing is usually a repair needed when the mortar is deteriorating between the bricks. What kind of change are you thinking regarding tuckpointing?
March 10, 2013 at 8:09am   
bevballew
Your home is gorgeous and gives the look of that era so I say no to painting the brick. Your home is a piece of art. As far as landscaping suggested, as beautiful as it may be I have just what Arlene suggested and I have ground cover and boulders and had a large tree. Weeds came up and it requires a lot of work. I would like to rip it out and have grass. I have the onion weed that has taken over and it is impossible to get rid of. Would be interesting to see if certain shutters be removed but I think it looks good as is. Tuck pointing probably yes if red. Maybe paint it dark above where deco enthusiast said.
March 10, 2013 at 8:16am   
bevballew
The only thing that throws this off from a traditional Tudor to me is the in and out of stone around the small window by the front door.
March 10, 2013 at 8:17am   
malbec
To echo ikwewe, I think tuckpointing is kind of a cheap fix where you slap some mortar between the bricks. If your house is 80 yrs old, you probably want to repoint. Also, be careful what kind of mortar you use because it needs to be compatible with your existing mortar and bricks. There's an older limestone-sand mix that used to be used, and newer portland cement, which is much harder. Someone who does brick restoration can tell you what kind of mortar you should use, and they can make up a mix in a color you want. Anyway, unless you just paint over everything, I think changing your mortar color is a pretty extensive (and expensive!) process. They can use a restorative cleaner on the bricks and mortar to take off paint and grime, if you are interested in that.

Your house and yard are beautiful - it's kind of hard to see in the picture, but I think if I wanted to change something, I might change the color/look of the shutters and/or windows like others have said, or maybe add a brick or stone walkway to the front door.
March 10, 2013 at 8:35am   
K B
Generally a beautiful house. I would absolutely not cut down any of the trees unless they are dying or are encroaching on the foundation of the house.
March 11, 2013 at 8:34pm     
misecretary
Keep the trees!
March 12, 2013 at 3:30am   
88 Atelier for Architecture
Paint the shutters a light color so they pop and enliven the dark brick. The eaves at the roof edge should be a matching light color. Replacing the bushes with a less rigid more natural look in the landscaping will help. Finally, some exterior lights either at the eaves or in-ground reflecting up will also add drama.
March 12, 2013 at 4:10am   
kshanahan
This house sold before I could get my hands on it. I hope they do not tear it down! I am still on my quest to find an ugly house to save.
April 6, 2013 at 2:32pm   
K B
Are you joking!?! That was NOT an ugly house! Interesting--yes, maybe even unique but definitely not ugly.
April 6, 2013 at 10:07pm     
kshanahan
I do not think I said this was an ugly house. Neglected is a better word. I think painting black rectangles in lieu of missing shutters exemplifies this. The interior was far worse.

In person it was dwarfed by a deep lot & large trees, & the color palette did nothing to help the house greet you.

My point was I thought it needed a personality. I wanted to buy this house but unfortunately it's someone else's project now. It's becoming a seller's market again!
April 6, 2013 at 11:30pm   
bluenan
Location, location, location!!
April 7, 2013 at 3:58pm   
K B
@kshanahan--that's clever painting a rectangle instead of attaching a shutter. A shutter fell off my home during Hurricane Sandy. I will be getting ready to sell soon, guess I don't need to reattach shutter; I'll just break out my paintbrush:)
April 7, 2013 at 9:47pm   
kshanahan
I am so sorry to hear about your hurricane damage. We do not live near the coast. Best of luck to you!
April 8, 2013 at 7:06am   
Exterior facelift. Need exterior paint suggestions.
Hi - I'm going to be replacing and updating the portico....
West Virginia Exterior Facelift
This 2012 Best of West Virginia home received the statewide...
Need Help with Ranch Exterior Facelift
Hello everyone, Any ideas how I can give this exterior...
Exterior facelift and addition
Much needed suggestions to improve curb appeal. We...
Exterior Facelift
Our new house was so ugly the kids were embarrassed...
What to do for new pool / neighbor fence?
Now is the time to replace this old wood fence with...
staircase..white or oak?
I have painted the spindles and trim going up the stairs...
Need giant coffee table
Trying to find a really big rectangular coffee table....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...