Fireplace is flat up against the wall . How to place seating?
Maddie
I have an unusual placement of a fireplace - it butts up to the north wall and to the right I have just 2 double windows. Difficult to arrange furniture and place a tv. What should be the focal point? I have a sofa to the right side floating in the room and on the left i have a small entertainment center with my flat screen tv. It is so boring! I move furniture all the time trying to find something that will work. I am missing a nice conversational arrangement.
We really need to see all four walls and all furniture to be of assistance. Turn on all the lights and take more pics. Post on this same thread as a comment with attached images.
March 10, 2013 at 10:56am     
Stanton Designs-online design services
One quick thought...you could have a built in come off the fireplace onto the wall behind the chairs...you can place tv and other electronics on that wall...while making the fireplace and the wall unit one piece. You can then move your furniture towards fireplace wall to create and better seating area, and it will help create a cohesive space.
March 10, 2013 at 10:59am     
Maddie
here are my four "walls" for a better view. distance between sofa and tv wall is 10'. I already have two large coordinating upholstered chairs and another ottoman I would like to use in here. Or maybe a chaise. Behind the sofa, in front of the built in hutch I only have a round table w a chair. (Area is going unused- I have huge kitchen with dining area attached w dining for 10.)
March 11, 2013 at 8:16am   
carolins
Would you consider a TV area where the chair, table and cabinet are now?

In which case you could 'build' a conversation area around your fireplace and a comfy TV space in the other corner.

You could then place the sofa facing the fireplace, the cabinet somewhere where the TV is now and the two chairs where the sofa now is.

The TV and the two upholstered chairs + ottoman and/or chaise in the TV area?
March 11, 2013 at 8:34am   
Your space does rather call for "zoning" and I detect a distinct Florida feeling to your style. The built-in hutch is very limiting, so I would turn that space into a relaxing zone for reading, listening to music, taking a break from kitchen chores. The key to zoning will be two or three armchairs and a chaise. I like swivel armchairs because they are so flexible when you want to change things up. For now, just use the three chairs you have in these spaces. Do you already have a chaise in the house? Remove all the extra pieces from the hutch space and angle the white chair or chaise in the corner to the left side of the hutch. You can put your hassock with the white chair to get the chaise feeling whileyou're playing and planning.Put one of the round end tables from the LR and one of your taller lamps with it. Choice depends on scale of chair, table and lamp working together. Turn your sofa so its back is toward your entry, facing the FP and window wall. Put the white sofa table behind it. The table should be almost even with its present location, but will face the foyer. Center the sofa and table on the foyer opening. Turn the area rug and move the two chairs by the FP to the window area. Slide the TV toward the FP. Center one chair on the double window and the other in front of the single window, other round table and a lamp between them. This plan eliinates the two pieces on either side of the hutch, the round table and chair, and the two chairs by the FP if you use a chaise and two armchairs. Try that, using the two FP chairs and the white chair and hassock just to fill the spaces, take more pics and attach them to this post. Then we'll tweak the decor. Jolie Swivel Chair, Vance Bermuda Nina Swivel Chair
Manchester Chaise Luxembourg Tufted Chaise
March 11, 2013 at 11:01am   
Maddie
Thanks for getting me thinking about zoning. The FP chairs were my attempt and they are extras from my Lexington group, I plan on purchasing new pcs. Because of cable coming in thru an outlet under the small window, I have to keep running that cable along the baseboard. I am goiing to move some things around to try tonite. With above suggestions it still seems like an area for two us to sit and view tv is missing. Its a 46' that maybe should go on a wall. Thanks for ideas!
I like ideas for the "relaxing" area, swivel chairs would be ideal there too.
March 11, 2013 at 12:54pm   
Have you thought of putting it above the FP? You can mount it there on a swivel with some extension built in so it can be angled to better face the room. This is where swivel chairs work well too because they can turn when people's focus of attention changes from fireside conversation to watching the game. You could start with a swivel base on your present piece of furniture. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together for you. Family Room Hidden Storage + Swinging TV Cabinet
March 11, 2013 at 1:24pm   
Maddie
I rearranged everything with suggestions. It looks much better. I will post pictures but I cant find the attachment tab anymore. when I find it I will post. Big improvement. Thanks for help.
March 12, 2013 at 8:38am     
Maddie
I will be shopping for a sofa table and a cabinet/table/something for the right side of "din" table ( although i am not using area for dining) and more, but this is a good start. It feels like i have more room actually, even with more furniture in it. Will be looking for casual, cottage, painted or repurposed type pieces. Definitely need something over the window. Maybe a partial bamboo shade,hung to cover just the bare walls. Do not want to obstruct any light.
March 12, 2013 at 8:51am     
carolins
Lovely!
March 12, 2013 at 8:56am   
So much better! So, you already had a pair of armchairs in the sunroom. They work nicely! I don't really think you need to add any more furniture. Just lower the picture that was there with the center at 60" above the floor .Can I encourage you to clear out any of your "plants" that aren't real? Would also like to see the dark corner to the right of the hutch lighted. You might look into buying a matching pair of torchiere floor lamps to flank it and shine light upward. One more thought. Would you try the large tropical painting that was near the sunroom door above the fireplace? It needs something larger, especially once the plants are removed. I think you may have some mantel decor items tucked away in the hutch. Can you take a closeup of it so we can see? Good job so far! Keep tweaking!
March 12, 2013 at 9:14am   
Maddie
All fake greens taken out! Larger art in place, not centered yet- didnt want to add a new hole yet. (The lilies are an original Romanovsky-oh well) Accessories rather too small scale here, I think? Added torchiere lamp to left side of hutch and removed greens from top. Tree gone, replaced with another torchiere. Entire tv wall no art yet - add just one large. I feel naked. And now I see all the dust,etc I must clean. Shouldn't something be on floor in front of a torchiere? They aren't great, but I had them.
March 12, 2013 at 11:32am   
carolins
I'd say that size-wise the art above the fireplace is spot on. A little bit lower and centred and that's it.
Perhaps a beautiful floorlamp between sofa and wall? In stead of the uplighter in the corner? It will break up the wall space too.
What's in the corner with the small paintings above each other? Is is one of those boat-cases? Could that go in the other corner where the uplighter now is?

March 12, 2013 at 11:49am   
Much better art for the space. As suggested by carolins. lower it to 4-5" above the mantel. The lilies look good in the dining area and you can lower them too. I always try to keep art lower than door and window frames, and I use the 60" rule most of the time, so keep that in mind. Lower the wattageof the torchieres for a softer look. Swing the two armchairs around a bit so the table that is between them will be in the window corner. That will leave more room to get through. Might switch the two round tables so the larger one carries the larger based lamp. I'd advise replacing the hassock with a nice round coffee table, maybe with a glass top and white to go with the rest or a pretty pastel that picks up on your colorway. Maybe the color of the pink flower in the center of the painting. That would be a sweet note in the room.
March 12, 2013 at 12:05pm   
Maddie
Thanks for all your help. I switched tables and moved chairs more into the corner of windows- opened it all up even more. Rehung some artwork. Added a floor lamp by sofa. will shop for better one and a nice sofa table. And shopping for carpeting. I am liking the progress. Thanks again to all for the input.
March 13, 2013 at 7:17am   
carolins
:-D
March 13, 2013 at 7:26am   
bevballew
Fantastic change. Your place looks lovely now in a more streamlined professional manner! Thanks for sharing pics!
March 13, 2013 at 7:37am   
So happy to help you, Maddie! I love re-designing with client's own things - a low-cost solution and lots of fun to do! Looking forward to seeing pics of the final layout when you have time.
March 13, 2013 at 7:58am     
Need Help with Curb Appeal
We can't figure out what to do to the front of our...
Niches in foyer.
Recently moved in and can't figure out what to do with...
Need ideas for entryway
I don't know where to start. I was thinking of using...
Help with stair rails
As you can see in the picture, my staircase only has...
Need help choosing quartz countertop. designers Needed!
Hello, Could someone with design expertise please help...