Need help with living room, disjointed and just feels off
Kelli Hale
Hi! Well this is my living room , it opens into my kitchen. Everything has been hand me downs , Craigslist etc in this room. I need some help with this, I would like to paint the room and make it feel more connected and put together. The layout is really odd for me because it has a corner fireplace . Help! The couches are same size if that helps.
Barbara Griffith Designs
Wow! You have done a great job so far. I would remove the 2 small tables & lamps as well as the candles & holders in the TV area. Maybe find 2 matching torchere lamps for the sides of the TV unit and maybe 2 light colored leather cubes in front of them..they could be pulled into the living area when needed. Add drapery to the window it will soften the room. Can see, but if the window is 1 small on each side of a center window, I would hang a panel on the ends and at the breaks..hang as high as possible (95/96" panels). A few large items for the mantle. Extra green plants. Add small tables..every seat needs a place to set a glass. Wall color..not too dark. Look at BM Adobe Beige.. here is a link to see it. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/adobebeige#ce_s=adobe

Also before you choose your colors..buy samples and paint 2 coats on poster boards and place on all walls, day light and night light, on all walls to see if you really like a color.
March 10, 2013 at 1:47PM   
Kelli Hale
Thank you so very much, the room has only cost me $1400 so far including the couches so I can spend a bit more on paint and accessories atnthismpoint. Thanks for your valuable points Barbara!
March 10, 2013 at 1:59PM   
A Crew of Two
I understand hand me downs and craigslist.....you can get some great deals. My first impression is that you have a lot of tall pieces. I feel like they are fighting each other. Can either one be moved to a different room? what is the wall behind the sofa on the left? The sofas are very nice- they look warm and inviting. With the right paint color i think the room will be amazing. I would paint the walls a couple of shades lighter than the sofas. Remove the lamps by the TV. Some throw pillows in the reds and greens- floral and stripe maybe. Carmel Residence: Living Area Crisp Architects
March 10, 2013 at 2:06PM   
Kelli Hale
Thank you so much! The wall behind the couch is not a wall as it opens to a very large kitchen .
March 10, 2013 at 2:08PM   
Amenities Home Design
I like all of Barbara's ideas. I would suggest a square iron base glass coffee table (to see your great rug) and a bench between it and the front of the tv chest to complete the conversation group without blocking the tv. I don't think you need lights in the tv nook. Either nothing on each side of tv chest or big basket for magazines or a silk plant on one side.

The darker color in the square above the mantel draws unnecessary attention to it. Might paint it the wall color and let the rest of the fireplace and big objects Barbara suggests be the focal point.
March 10, 2013 at 2:08PM     
mveasey
What is hiding behind the couch, facing the window? Looks like a long narrow table...? How long is it?
I really like your couches and your orange pops.
I like your artwork over the fireplace, but the dimensions are off.
Maybe try to hang it more to one side and place your tall vase with the orchids from your bookshelf with the two candles on the other side. The unit under the TV is perhaps a little rustic for the place... What kind of cabinets are in the kitchen?
My idea is to completely fill the space underneath the TV, with perhaps the long narrow table from behind the couch, if it is high enough. If not, I would consider painting it, perhaps even very dark, to match your other tables and to counterpart with the TV.
March 10, 2013 at 2:10PM     
Kelli Hale
Wow great ideas! I would never have thought of these things!
March 10, 2013 at 2:11PM   
Kelli Hale
March 10, 2013 at 2:12PM   
mveasey
I mean painting the oak chest, not the whole nook.
March 10, 2013 at 2:13PM     
Kelli Hale
Mveasy, yes it's just an old filing cabinet behind the couch that then has a window behind it, I didn't know if I should shove the couch against window or what to do. So awkward
March 10, 2013 at 2:14PM   
carolins
What a lovely room. Beautiful space and I do like what you've done so far. Great finds!

I'd paint the entire room in a light taupe (test it out first as Barbara Griffith suggested) and the back wall of the niche in the warm orange colour of your rug/cushions.

I don't know about you, but I think that the art above the fireplace isn't really working. It's detracting attention from your cosy living space by drawing the eye up there.

I'm assuming decorating the beautiful cabinet/bookcase is still a work in progress?

Harmony by Benjamin Moore could also work and Sienna (or a similar colour) for the back wall of the niche? http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/harmony

Or these: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/ioniccolumn
March 10, 2013 at 2:15PM     
carolins
Perhaps the filing cabinet fits in the TV niche?
March 10, 2013 at 2:18PM     
Kelli Hale
Thanks Carolins, the bookcase is huge 9 feet and was about $250 because had a crack you can't see in back but yes I seem to get stumped on filling it too!
March 10, 2013 at 2:20PM   
Barbara Griffith Designs
Love the bookcase as is..also with the high ceilings you need all these tall pieces.
March 10, 2013 at 2:26PM   
mveasey
I think the room would feel airier and " fresher", more young family without the tall shelving unit. Unless you need storage, but right now it seems just decorative. What do you think?
March 10, 2013 at 2:28PM   
Kelli Hale
You maybe right, I don't have anywhere else to put the beast , it would fit in our office, maybe a better fit?
March 10, 2013 at 2:30PM   
The mirror propped to the right of the window... would that fit above your FP and reflect a great chandy you might find in the future? Just add the candlesticks from the TV to the FP mantel with it. Consider painting the interior backs of the arched cabinet/bookcase. In fact, you might want to paint the exterior expresso and the inside to match your russet pillows. I agree - nothing in the TV niche, but you might bring the same color there as inside the cabinet. I like to pull an accent color around the room in nice splashes.
March 10, 2013 at 2:32PM     
Michael Durham
If you could paint the large recess over the fireplace the same color or nearly the same as the fireplace and make the wall paint contrast a little, it would make the fireplace blend better with it maybe. Right now the fireplace has so many lines and that space has just four square sides above it so that is the biggest disjointment to me. maybe draw some lines from the corners of the recess in to a centered piece of art to have more similar lines to the fireplace, but then you get into feaux finishes :p
March 10, 2013 at 2:34PM     
mveasey
You might find one of those on Craigslist, for under your TV?
They also make tall ones in an orangey red, must might be too crazy... ;-)
March 10, 2013 at 2:43PM     
Kelli Hale
Here are my curtains I have made that I haven't yet hung up in living room , and here is what it looks like into kitchen
March 10, 2013 at 2:54PM   
mveasey
Love the curtains, nice choice!
March 10, 2013 at 9:17PM   
vjs12
Paint the tv cubby hole the color that is in the drapes sort of the orangey, terra cotta color. Remove all the clutter around the tv and the console. There is too much in that space and very distracting. I would paint the rest of the walls the same as the kitchen. Maybe the olive green suggested earlier or a more neutral color by SW called Wholewheat. It has a yellow tone and very warm. It would go nice with your cabinets in the kitchen as well as the family room floor. Above the fireplace, I would paint it the same as the wall color you chose. Then add a big piece of art that has the colors of your curtains in it or maybe a large decorative mirror to reflect the light from the other side of the room. That large cabinet by the window, I would put in another room. It blocks the window too much. Arrange the sofas on an angle with the end table inbetween them. You have a wonderful space to work with. Good luck!
March 10, 2013 at 10:04PM   
carolins
Don't get me wrong, I absolute love the tall bookcase and yeah... you need big furniture in such a big room. I just don't think that what's in the bookcase is doing it justice :-)
Just a weird idea, but... what about putting some books in it? And I don't think that you need to fill the space all the way up to the top with the flowers. The photo could go on a top right shelf perhaps? I don't know, it's always a case of adding, removing, juggling around until it feels balanced and good. I'm also thinking that you could one day perhaps paint the inside of it in a soft greyish blueish greenish colour?

But since you've also got the kitchen discussion up and running, you probably have other priorities :-D

Beautiful curtains!

Have you thought about painting the kitchen cabinets in one of those greyish blueish greenish colours?

Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage Paint
Antique Jade Paint
Rainwashed SW6211 Paint
March 11, 2013 at 12:55AM     
RIM MANSOUR
I think your furniture is good and all the colour was similar within. all what you need is to move the TV from the corner and set it over the fireplace with two lamps and move the cabinet to TV place, and the rest as barbara said, thanks
March 11, 2013 at 2:01AM   
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
What do I need to do with this space?
Just got the Farm House table, bench, and hutch for...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Need help with what color to paint cabinets with almond appliances
I need to work with my current almond colored appliances...