How to personalize a "pre-made" bathroom?
raquelaramalho
Hi
My doubt is that I'm almost moving to a brand new apartment and I didn't had the choice on the bathroom and kitchen tiling or furniture and now I can't afford to change it. The kitchen I think I can find out a solution but on the bathrooms I really don't have a clue. They are contemporary but I more a shabby chic girl... Can you help me??
Add color through art and accessories.

March 10, 2013 at 5:07PM     
mpoulsom
Dont think it would look right if you "shabbied" that bath up! It is ultra sleek and modern. Put a fun rug down and a cool mirror on the wall that has some color. and you have a great place to hang some nice artwork. Find something that is light-weight in the art, so that you can hang it with some sort of special hook to adhere to that tile wall.
March 10, 2013 at 5:12PM     
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
You can get a little shabby chic - with an ornate gold mirror, you can't even add paint colour because it looks like all the walls are tiled.

I'd look for one big piece of art to bring in some colour on a wall where you can put a painting, add brightly coloured towels on towel rack, and go for the ornate mirror above the sink.
March 10, 2013 at 5:19PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Use shabby chic colors , ruffled towels and metallics in accessories with gold & silver mixed. Avoid the shabby wood painted part though. One thought would be to use a over scaled Icat wall paper on a accent wall and chevron rugs. That would be the modern version of damask & flame stitch patterns used in shabby chic. Maybe a thick plush shag rug.
March 10, 2013 at 9:10PM     
raquelaramalho
I'm starting to feel more enthusiastic with all the help you're giving me THANKS!
March 11, 2013 at 5:38AM   
A Crew of Two
I like this rug to give the room some personality. I think this bath it seems cold and impersonal. Then add some fun wit bright towels- yellows, blues, corals. Some black baskets for trash and laundry. Choose things you love that aren't too country. If you are afraid of the bright color & pattern in the rug- then get something more muted. Floral Stripe Printed Rug Hampton Black Basket Kate Spade New York Morningside Heights Hand Towel Vibrant Henna Indoor/Outdoor Rug, Festive Multi Organic Cotton Bath Towels
March 11, 2013 at 5:52AM     
Patricia Pelgrims
I'll be following this subject with interest ! I am having a similar dilemma with the house I'll be moving into soon.
Luckily for us, it isn't stark black/grey/white, but more of a sandy coloured look with polished (polished ! I tell you) porcelain tiles on the floor.
We have a few brightly coloured small antique rugs and I'll be using them in the bathrooms, together with sumptiously coloured towels. A couple of nicnacs, some fresh artwork on the walls, maybe an old cabinet (if I find the space). Done !
March 11, 2013 at 6:04AM   
Wow, I am usually asked to do the opposite - Shabby chicing a contemporary bathroom is going to be fun!

For a start, why not hang up some Chantilly lace over the dark brown tiles above the bidet? Then you can add a lovely distressed cream rug on the floor that would act as bath mat and rug to cover the tiles. On the cream walls you could add a fine fretwork or ironwork shelf to put some lace covered accessories, or a basket into which to roll some towels, an orchid or potted plant. Use shabby chic towels that include lace. and a mirror with fine metallic work and you could just get there!
Crisp Architects
Rose Garden Romantic Home 1
Rose Garden Romantic Home 2
March 11, 2013 at 6:05AM     
Here is a picture of a panel/curtains I was thinking of - it would stand out against the dark background...
March 11, 2013 at 6:08AM     
raquelaramalho
I can't thank you enough! You're really awesome and I'm really starting to see the potential =)
I really like shabby chic but the "light version", meaning that I like some details of the style and in this bathroom have to adapt some of the style characteristics to the bathroom minimalist style.
If you want to develop this issue I would suggest kitchens =) My new kitchen has the same color scheme of my bathrooms but has a small stripe of tiles 1,60 m high with an aluminium detail. The furniture will be, hopefully, white and I'm already searching for decor that will make it more my style =)
By the way, I love that curtain AVSInteriors!!!
March 11, 2013 at 1:32PM     
Mega Builders
I wouldn't go too far with the shabby, a framed mirror would be nice, preferably in the same dark color but with some ornamentation. A rug with vibrant colors will liven the space up, some green plants...
March 11, 2013 at 1:48PM     
longogene
Well the Queen of Shabby Chic is Rachel Ashwell. She often uses prints, distressed painted furniture, etc. http://www.shabbychic.com/images/gallery/nine1.jpg

Some ideas: Add a distressed painted mirror. With or without a tub you can always do a great shower curtain - and then it will be about the accessories - rug, towels, etc. Check our her website she may inspire some ideas.
March 11, 2013 at 2:03PM     
mpoulsom
i didn't mean to be a debbie downer about this situation. i did find one thing that may work to personalize it, but you may not have enough room either. don't know. and thought of another thing,IF you have room. a small dresser that is ornate??
But saw this little shelf piece of furniture and thought about you. Not this color for your space, but you'll get the gist!
March 12, 2013 at 7:02AM     
raquelaramalho
Mpoulsom I think i know just the "corner" of my bathroom for something like that! Great idea!!!!
March 12, 2013 at 7:18AM     
Patricia Pelgrims
That looks like a fine cabinet, Mpoulsom.
Raquel, You could also do with a shelf above the washbasin. Pimp it up with a display of seashells or a bit of driftwood.
March 12, 2013 at 7:33AM     
Nakita
it needs texture and colour. it is very 'flat' right now. maybe add a seagrass rug? a wicker basket. some antique looking glass jar on the counter to hold cotton balls, etc. ( not matching) everything is match-y, match-y in there. mix it up!!!!
March 12, 2013 at 7:35AM     
raquelaramalho
I liked the driftwood idea but I don't have a clue where to find it on my country...
March 12, 2013 at 8:11AM   
Cambria "fix" with Epoxy?
I just had Cambria Bellingham installed today. One...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
My husband wants too large a TV for our family room!
We have 14' so I figure 8' is the back of the sofa...
White bedrooms
Painting bedrooms with dark, natural baseboards and...