I saw your intro on the discussion board and had a question
stina0714
I just moved into the house and we are looking at reprinting. We will work on the landscape afterwards. I need help in picking some colors. I was thinking about removing the shutters also. I was considering airy colors. I was even thinking about a light green. I am open to all colors. Should I paint the bricks? I have attached pictures of the house. Your help would be appreciated.
janishill
Yes to removing those shutters!

This shade of green would work nicely with your roof: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/appleblossom

as would this one:http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/grasslands

Don't paint the decking, porch or the sidewalks, but paint all the other brick and the garage door. The front sidewalk would look better if it were wider and if it were curved.

New landscaping would go a long way on improving the looks
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 6:56PM
stina0714
I really like the apple blossom. Thanks janishill!
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 8:22AM
houssaon
Another "green" that might look good is actually a gray:
It would compliment the brick. I would not paint any of the brick.
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 8:30AM
stina0714
Interesting color houssaon. It is different. I am in between painting the bricks because I know once I paint them I can't go back. Thank you for the comment
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 8:39AM
janishill
If you decide not to paint the brick at least paint the white plaster looking ornamental brick. They stand out too much. :-)

One picture make sthe roof look gray. The other makes it look brown. What color is it? That plays a major part in the paint color for the body of the house.
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 8:43AM
14thstreet
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6170/

Sherwin Williams Techno Gray or Chatroom (darker but on the same swatch) - would look really nice with your brick and roof color. I agree completely about removing the shutters and leaving the brick unpainted.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 8:53AM
stina0714
Sorry about that. It must have been the angle I took the picture.The roof is actually brown. Other than Green is there another color you would suggest? I am not opposed to going with something different.
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 8:59AM
ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
If you remove the shutters, (which I agree with), think about changing out the light fixtures. I think removing the shutters will dramatically change the style of the house. Maybe to something like I've got attached.
2 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 9:38AM
stina0714
what do you all think about this color below? will it work? Is it better than using green? http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery?cd=AF-375&col=AFF
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 9:48AM
janishill
What part of the country do you live in? That plays almost as big a part in what color would work best as teh roof color does.

I like the color you have picked out, but am afraid it and the roof will become one.

It sounds like you don't like green. Hwat is your favorite color?
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 9:58AM
nanipoo
take off the shutters, plant some lower bushier plants in front of the windows, change out the lighting fixtures to something more modern, paint your front door something that pops. Looks like there is a path in the grass from the driveway to the front door so you may want to change your sidewalk to accommodate the foot traffic flow.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 10:28AM
stina0714
Janishill, I love the green and that is my favorite choice so far. For some reason, I keep coming back to that color. I just wasn't sure if I led people to the green (since I said I was considering green) and there might have been a different color that was better. I live in south florida. I really appreciate everyones time and advice :)
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 10:39AM
stina0714
Great ideas nanipoo about the plants. what do you mean about changing the sidewalk?
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 10:42AM
whitlaw
Yes to removing the shutters. Landscaping along the sidewalk will go a long way to making it feel warm and welcoming and removing that tree to the left of the front door. It looks like an awesome house, just needs a little TLC!!
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 10:45AM
mimcat
Actually, I would NOT curve your walk - a very expensive redo. Rather I would play up the rectilinear aspect of your property and make the landscaping hip and modern. What I would do is add a second matching walkway to the left about a third or halfway down - depending how deep your front yard is - that is parallel to the house and provides access to the front door from the driveway. In that one "bed" that is created closest to the house on the left I would plant it with a variety of low growing plants that are evergreen, interspersed with some rotating seasonal perennials to provide some color. Now, you are beginning to have a modern grid-like pattern to your yard. Get rid of the tall tree on the left. And hard prune your plants under the window. A window should never be covered. Especially on a single story house, as it makes the house look even shorter and makes it look all roof. Remove the shutters. Where do you live? It looks like Florida? If so, you could pick the right color soft blue (with turquoise undertone, not baby blue undertone) that would complement the pool in the backyard. But I am not suggesting wild bright turquoise to be sure. I would also paint the window trim in a shade or two lighter on the same color card that you pick of the blue. That will give it a more unified modern look than standard white. If you live up North or someplace else cold, a tropical like color is trickier. You should test out several colors in winter light by painting a BIG piece of cardboard and propping it up against the house. A good idea anyway whenever you are thinking of an exterior paint job. Regional light has a huge effect on any color chip.
Also, do not paint the brick - a life-long maintenance issue from that point forth.
I would be very careful about the grey you choose, as others have suggested, if you were inclined in that direction. Brick is a very warm color, grey can be very cool. That would not look good - too high a contrast. Pick a warm gray, with putty overtones, or green overtones, but not blue overtones.
Best of luck.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 1:08PM
Blushirt
As for the landscaping, do away with the front walkway and consider one of these design ideas. It will make a drastic and amazing change to your yard. For more ideas www.blushirt.com Obviously you need to tweak them a little to fit perfectly. IE. you won't need steps and one has to be mirrored to the other side of the house. I favour the Anna. Good Luck.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 1:28PM
Blushirt
The Anna is the first one...the second is the Cavallizzi
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 1:29PM
janishill
Have your St. Augustine grass dethatched and give it a good, high nitrogen fertilization fertilization. That should take care of the yellow I see in it.

Along the front you might want to plant white dwarf Ixora.

Looking at yoru house again I am going to change my mind and go back to what I said the first time; paint the columns. Between the driveway, the sidewalk, and your brick walkway the eyes have no where to rest. Painting the columns and the brick planters will provide the eyes with a soothing place to look.

Once you have the basic painting finished we can talk about various plant materials.
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 2:23PM
bostonbob3
Your house has classic mid-century lines. Here's a home (in Lexington MA, a place that has a large cluster of such houses) that features similar lines, and I really like the paint colors they picked.
3 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 6:03AM
bostonbob3
Of course, another classic take on mid century is a much darker color. I know people have initial misgivings about this, but they're almost always delighted with the result. Here's an example (and you can even go darker than this and have a stunning result).
4 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 6:08AM
janishill
@Boston Bob - I agree the contrast looks great and works very well...in the Northeast, but stina0714 lives in south Flordia. Dark colors absorb heat while light colors reflect it and help to keep houses cooler. :-)
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 7:07AM
bostonbob3
@janishill - True, but there are some very good radiant barrier paint additives available. You just add them to regular paint, and they block the sun's heat. I have an aunt in southern California who swears by the stuff.
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 7:12AM
janishill
Interesting. I wish I had known that when I lived in Belize!
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 9:08AM
stina0714
Thank you all for the feedback. @bostonbob3 - do you know what color is used in the last picture you sent. I like the contrast. I'm just a little hesitant in going dark. We do not see a lot of dark homes in south florida, but it looks great.

Here is where I am at. I have decided I will paint the bricks. The only way I would not paint them is if I went with that dark color above because it will go great with the bricks. I am thinking about going with the colors below.

Body: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7736/

Trim: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7531/

Door:http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6566/

Let me know what you think. All feedback is welcomed and appreciated :-)
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 10:32AM
bostonbob3
No, I don't know the exact color, stina0714. It's a dark charcoal of some kind. A good paint store could probably lead you in the right direction if you showed them the pic. If you wanted that general "contrasty" feel, but without as much dark paint, here's a direction. They built wood screens and attached them to the house. I like the red trim, too.
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 10:42AM
stina0714
@bostonbob3 - How do you think the charcoal will look with my brown roof?
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 11:48AM
bostonbob3
Your roof is pretty low-slung/low pitched, so I think it'll look fine. Especially if you paint the door a color that ties in to the roof. Also, look at how well the charcoal works with the wood screens on that house above. They have a similar color to your roof (the second pic in your shots).
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 12:44PM
bostonbob3
The house below isn't as dark of a grey/charcoal, and the brown of the roof is a little different than yours, but you can get a general idea of how it would work.
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 12:46PM
Donna James
Whatt if you removed the two short brick columns by the front door and left the remaining brick unpainted?
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 8:37PM
janishill
I am going to toss out some more thoughts.

If you plan to resell your home in the distant-near future (5 yrs. or so) painting the house an "odd" color will reduce the resell value.

I don't think the mid-toned brown roof will look good with darker grey body and while I like the body color you have picked I don't think there is enough contrast between the roof and the body color or between the body color an dthe trim color.

Though my favorite so far is the green scheme I posted before a yellow body: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/littledipper

with white trim: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/snowwhite

and a blue door: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/bluedusk

or this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/franklinlakes

This scheme would also look good with your fence.

Traditional Exterior design by San Francisco Architect Kathy Shaffer Architecture & Design AIA

Have you taken a drive to look at other houses in an effort to find a color scheme you really like? It never hurts to 'window' shop. If you do find the perfect color scheme don't be shy; knock on the door and ask what colors they used. A home owner would take it as a high compliment.
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 9:50AM
stina0714
@janishill - Great idea! I followed your advice and went driving in the neighborhood. I saw a couple of green houses. There was one light green house (similiar shade to the apple blossom) I loved, but the style of the house was more modern than mine. The other houses had the same style as mine and that shade of green did not look good on it - in my opinion.

I also think your opinion about the colors I pciked and the lack of contrast was valid.

What about the combination below? I went to BM and bought a sample of paint so I can see how it looks. I also noticed that since we get so much sun (very bright), light colors can look very washed or light. So, I have some flexibility and a little darker might be better.

Body: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/thicket#ce_s=thicket

Trim: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery?cd=AF-520&col=AFF

Door: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery?cd=AF-645&col=AFF

Accent ( under hang in back patio and other small areas) - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery?cd=AF-370&col=AFF

Thank you all!
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 9:23AM
Carolina Girl
Stick with your first thought and go green but stay very light as colors change dramatically when you paint a whole house, it will look darker. Use a gray green as opposed to a yellow green. Always buy samples and paint them on over what you are going to be covering, then decide which colors suite you best.
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 1:46PM
Need help with window treatments
I have a window with 3 sections and 2 windows on each...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Paint Color Advice.
I am having trouble picking the best paint colors for...
How "Real" are Home Improvement Reality Shows?
Most folks begin planning a remodeling project by watching...
Need help exterior paint ideas. Florida living
House was built in 1941 . Tile roof light gray tones...