Our living room
maryam28
Hi this is our living room in our first ever bought house here in Toronto which we decorated ourself .. I will be so happy to know other people's opinion about it & we welcome any great idea for improvement :))
Monique E
Hi maryam 28, I am no good with ideas but I liked your living room:) It is very nice..All the very best in your new home.
March 11, 2013 at 5:01AM     
elklaker
Beautiful! Would not change a thing. Enjoy your new home.
March 11, 2013 at 5:03AM     
Richard Rizzo Art and Design
I like it a lot, nicely done.
March 11, 2013 at 5:31AM     
You've done a beautiful job! I would only remove the small chair to left of fireplace, replace the picture frame with a simpler one, and increase the size of the accessories on the coffee table.
March 11, 2013 at 5:37AM     
I agree, it looks fantastic ! the only improvement (optional) is to exchange some of the throw pillows with more colorful ones, but this is just nip-picking.
March 11, 2013 at 5:40AM     
olldroo
Maryam - you are officially appointed a Houzzer. Excellent job and I just love that rug. Since you ask, if I were to be really, really picky I would simplify the picture frame above the fireplace as Carolyn suggested but I'm feeling it might be a special family piece or it has some special meaning for you, in which case leave it, the proportion for the space is perfect.
March 11, 2013 at 5:47AM     
maryam28
@carolyn Albert-kincl Design
Thanks for great ideas ..the frame and the carpet inside is a well-loved gift from my mum & dad .. Would you please suggest if I move the chair to the left side what to replace the chair with?
March 11, 2013 at 5:54AM   
soberg
Beautiful space! Can you group the sofa and chair(s) more closely for conversation?
March 11, 2013 at 5:59AM     
olldroo
Don't move the picture - enjoy it!!
March 11, 2013 at 6:09AM     
kitasei
Before you take the suggestion to remove that side chair between the sofa and fireplace, give it a six month roadtest. My bet is that it will be used very often by conversants with the sofa-sitters - the type who want to park for brief chat without sinking into another sofa.
March 11, 2013 at 6:11AM     
olldroo
Yes, it is a great chair for old ladies like me with bad knees who can't get out of sofas you sink into.
March 11, 2013 at 6:19AM     
bubblyjock
I agree with the others - it looks very pulled-together!

How about putting the floral painting that's over the mantle back where the other ?painting is, and putting that other piece, turned 90' so it's "landscape" not "portrait," and trying it over the mantle in place of the floral piece? That way the floral piece will look more "set," and the other piece is a bit trendier, like the rug.

And, can you pull that sofa (btw; where did you get it? It looks comfy and generous and has lovely lines) forward so it's closer to the fireplace, and swing the armless chair that olldroo wants to sit in, and the other one at the far left of the photo, so they're opposite the sofa at this side of the fireplace? Put that lovely coffee table between the sofa and the chairs, and if there's room, you might be able to pop a little side table between the two chairs.

Just my musings - I know that's how I prefer living room seating because I find it's better for conversation, but it's not everyone's cuppa.
March 11, 2013 at 6:27AM     
llamberth
Love it! Don't change a thing.
March 11, 2013 at 6:35AM     
DIAspoton
love the room, especially the rug. i'd pull the table and sofa in just a little . replace the small items on the coffee table with one important piece.
March 11, 2013 at 6:36AM     
handymam
I think you did a spectacular job! The painting from your parents is what gives this room it's personality. To change it out for something more mainstream would be boring.
March 11, 2013 at 6:40AM     
olldroo
Thanks for including me bubblyjock - lol.

Maryam - can we see the rest of the room looking from the sofa?
March 11, 2013 at 6:47AM     
You could replace the chair with a magazine basket. Another option that would give you extra seating would be a bench in front of the fireplace. Catch All Basket Pramana Magazine Basket Louis XVI Upholstered Bench
March 11, 2013 at 8:52AM     
Ole Fredrickson & Son
Room looks Great! One thought-the color of the room looks great, maybe adding a darker tone to the fireplace wall only. What ever tint is in the color you picked- add 1/3 more to it. It will be in the same hue but will add a dramatic effect to the fireplace wall-focal point. The mantle wall only.
March 11, 2013 at 8:59AM     
maryam28
Thank you all for great ideas ! :)
@ Ole Fredrickson & Son : your idea about a slightly darker color for the fireplace wall is so tempting :))
@ olldroo : here is the photo sweetie
March 11, 2013 at 10:15AM     
How do I finish off our wood burning stove in our living room?
I would like to frame our wood burning stove that is...
Our tiny living room must serve as a family room and media room.
We have a small ranch with only one common room. It...
Need help with our living room / dining room
Hi, We are moving to our new 3 bed home soon. We...
Need help with decoration tips for our living room / dining room
We have been struggling deciding what to put on the...
Chalk paint advice
Hi, just bought this & I'm thinking of painting this...
POLL: Which is your side of the bed?
People sometimes stake claims to their side of the...
Help choosing bedroom accessories
I'm a single young woman and this is my room. I'm trying...
Tub Shower Combo
Does anybody know which company manufactures this tub-shower,...