HELP! My Laundry Room Closet is a Disaster!
Lizanne Hayes
Hi There - I would appreciate it if the experts could give me such much needed help on how to make this closet more functional for a laundry room or work space - I have another closet for coats, etc so this closet just get stuff stacked and thrown into as a catch all. I can't take it anymore! It is not functional in any way and I don't know what ideas to come up with - Thank you in advance for your wonderful suggestions! Lizanne Hayes, Bryn Mawr, PA
Ah, the joy of an empty closet! They're just an invitation for everyone to dump their everything. What do you want to use the closet for? If it's in your laundry room you could use it to drip dry wet clothes (put a plastic basin under them first), or you could add shelves and make it into a linen closet, or a place to put your 'overstock' of paper towels, etc.
March 11, 2013 at 7:05AM   
14thstreet
You need an organizer! Even a simple one would do you well--how about moving extra cleaning supplies, paper towels, cleaning rags and your vacuum in there, then also leaving room for your drip-dries and such, as suggested above...
March 11, 2013 at 7:20AM     
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Consider asking yourself what you would like to store in that particular closet, then design shelving/hanging space around these items.
March 11, 2013 at 7:25AM     
Lizanne Hayes
Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for your quick responses. Believe it or not, most of my other closets are functional and organized. The problem, as you noted, is that I don't a "Theme" for this closet. There are cabinets on the other side above the washer/dryer for soap, towels etc but they are small and mis-matched. Maybe I take them down and use this as the stacking for the laundry/soap/towels and vacuum - so do you have any picture ideas of what I can do? You guys are WONDERFUL as responding! I will send my living room next - thank you! thank you!! Lizanne
March 11, 2013 at 7:36AM     
If you live in a wet, snowy area you could use is as a mud room, if you don't already have one.
March 11, 2013 at 8:36AM     
whitlaw
Take the door off and open it up and install some "cubbies" on the back wall of the closet to use for coats, backpacks or whatever else.
March 11, 2013 at 8:43AM   
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
Once you organize your closet with incorporating shelves; you can basically turn the closet into any storage space you'd like... Digital Imaging by Tina
March 11, 2013 at 8:55AM   
Lizanne Hayes
Thank you Tina - I love the picture on the right. It would hold hanging shirts and all the laundry stuff! Thank you - now who to get to do it? A closet Organizer?
March 11, 2013 at 3:09PM   
You're welcome! Okay, I can't help you on that one.... LOL Happy Organizing Enjoy!
March 11, 2013 at 3:16PM   
Maybe I can help with that question. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's or any hardware store, (even Ikea) any place that sells shelves ask how much they would charge to install. Even better, get a handy person (carpenter) to install from your local Ads. Don't forget to paint the interior of the closet white. Hope this helps further... Good Luck!! Houzz "Digital Imaging by Tina".
March 11, 2013 at 3:22PM   
my laundry room / mudroom is a disaster.
I would like a group of small windows facing the carport...
My laundry room is an orange disaster!
The laundry room has orange vinyl wallpaper and flourescent...
My bathroom and laundry room are design disasters...
I have been working on home improvement for the last...
My Laundry Room is a Disaster
Between the overhead sewers, furnace, sump pump and...
Need major advice for a church sanctuary
This is a picture of the left side wall of our sanctuary...
Area Rug
I need some help with the color of an area rug. Would...
Bathroom: What counter top and floor for new soft white cabinets?
Have ordered traditional soft white cabinets for bathroom....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...