Tile Backsplash Question
ejbell
I've decided that I really want a tile backsplash in my kitchen and you can see the one that I think I'd like to use. Do you think it would work to just add tile on top of the granite backplash or does the granite really need to be removed?
Cottage Craft Tile
If you're doing all glass mosaic I think you're fine keeping the granite splash-Go Bulldogs!
March 11, 2013 at 9:28AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
No problem keeping the backsplash. You usually get a much better result this way. Gaps can form between the caulking, the horizontal plane of the counter top and tile when the tile runs right down to it. By keeping the backsplash as is you have a tighter fit and a much lower chance of separation.
March 11, 2013 at 9:37AM   
maureenroth
I agree with Jeffrey. Although some say that a granite backsplash is 'out' I installed one in my own kitchen a year ago because I know that I would curse having to clean tiny tiles behind my stove where they meet the counter. If you have anything other than a show kitchen, you need to be practical too.
March 11, 2013 at 9:46AM     
ejbell
Thank you! This is what I was secretly hoping to hear :)
March 11, 2013 at 11:23AM   
Glass Tile Store
It's fine to leave the granite there, though i'd probably recommend another backsplash since that one in the picture might make the counter look a bit busy
October 12, 2013 at 12:32PM     
Creative Ceramic & Marble
Several backsplashes go both ways in this folder. Decide for yourself which way you like it. YOURS is the only opinion that counts, being that you'll be the one living with it:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.545925585479950.1073741831.165818890157290&type=3
October 12, 2013 at 12:35PM   
Creative Ceramic & Marble
I WILL say this-- a good friend of mine owns a granite countertop shop, and he brought up the first point that made sense to go one way or the other, that being that it's much easier to keep clean if the granite splash stays, so that you don't have to worry as much about spills on the countertop getting into the grout.
October 12, 2013 at 12:37PM   
Boerne Kitchens and Baths
I would reconsider the backsplash you have picked. It is going to make the backsplash look manic and you are going to hate it within weeks of installation.
October 12, 2013 at 12:44PM   
William Roy Designer Kitchens
No need to remove the stone unless you know something I don't. Glass tile is a nice effect.
October 12, 2013 at 12:51PM   
Ann
Typically, I don't like tile backsplashes over short granite backsplashes but I do have this one example in my ideabook because I thought it was very well done. The granite looks very, very similar to yours. I might go ahead and tile on top of yours but with a much calmer choice than what you've pictured.
]
October 12, 2013 at 1:51PM     
Kitchen backsplash tile question
I have a dilemma on which tile to use as the field...
backsplash tile question!
Would you take the tile to the ceiling over the window?...
Tile backsplash installation question
I have a backsplash that goes partially up the side...
Should I paint both rooms the same color??
We are painting our family room and kitchen, and I'm...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Living room needed
I would like help designing my living room. It is 19'...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
How to decorate a Charleston Single
Just bought a newer (2008) home in the Charleston Single...