Help choosing backsplash and how high should it go?
denisejay
I just redid my kitchen with opereta cream granite and I can't decide what backsplash to do. I have blonde maple cabinets and the granite has a lot of gray and blue tones in it. I would love advice on what color backsplash to do ( I was thinking a shade of travertine, maybe, with some blue glass inserts?) Also, how high should the backsplash go --- would lined up with the top of the cabinets look ok or is there a better idea? Thank you so much for your help!
Riddle Construction and Design
I would suggest tiling up the entire 18" to the upper cabinets and 30" to your range hood. Or you could take the window sill height and carry that same measurement around if you are looking to use less material and labor. It all depends on the type of material you select and how it works with the potential layout. Look at the kitchen galleries for inspiration.........
March 11, 2013 at 10:59am     
nasmijati
The trend now is to have the backsplash space be between the countertop all the way up to the bottom of the cupboards and behind the stove all the way up to the stove hood.
Some people are using the same granite as the counters for the backsplash, using 17x17 squares set on the diagonal.
March 11, 2013 at 11:00am   
0825sam
I agree - I would tile up to the cabinets and the range hood. I would also take it at that same bottom of cabinet height across the window wall. I have a window like that and I also tiled the little sheetrocked part of the inside of the window. I thought it looked more seamless that way.
March 11, 2013 at 11:10am     
One Specialty Landscape Design, Pools & Hardscape
I agree with everyone on backsplash placement. I think that a travertine tile is a good idea. What do you think of these backsplashes? They are a little more interesting and less formal than some other travertine backsplashes I have seen.

Farmhouse
Modern meets traditional kitchen 1
Modern meets traditional kitchen 2
Kitchen
March 11, 2013 at 11:52am   
hmschoolmom
I agree that most take the backsplash from the counter up to the bottom of the cabinets. (good call on not adding the 4 inch granite backsplash). Keep the backsplash the same height across to the window wall. You could add 1-2" edging tile to run from the cabinets on the left where there are no uppers across the top of your backsplash to the window and then for the smidgen on the left of the window. It would give it a finished "on purpose" look. The edging would not need to be under the upper cabinets. It would actually look more finished if the edging tile was above the bottom edge of the upper cabinets. Make sense?
March 11, 2013 at 1:47pm   
hmschoolmom
I meant "right". Here's a pic of a backsplash that extends beyond the upper cabinets.
March 11, 2013 at 1:49pm   
klitwill
I just put backsplash in and it's about 2 inches above bottom cabinet. Is that proper or not??
April 29, 2014 at 12:19pm   
How high should tiling go
We have bascially the same layout for kitchen and we...
How high up should glass tile accent go up in a shower?
Taking out a tub and installing a walk in shower. Putting...
How high should kitchen cabinets go if you have 11' ceilings?
Love cabinets the go to the ceiling in kitchens. Is...
How high should shower tile go?
We are remodeling our master bath with a new vanity,...
Natural wood wainscoting in mid-century modern home
There is natural wood wainscoting in the lower level...
Hoping I am making the right decisions in my upcoming reno.
Wondering about installing a dark charcoal gray porcelain...
bathroom vanity height
Much to my surprise my new master bathroom vanities...
Is the color "Baked Pretzel" in style?
Trying to figure out a carpet color for the rumpus...
Coffee table help!
Desperately need to get rid of thus oversized ottoman...