Roman shades - yay or nay?
jan74
I've always hated curtains that don't go all the way to the floor - in a way, it is like the window is wearing a miniskirt... But in my new apartment, we have furniture touching the walls in 4 out of 6 windows, so long curtains are not an option.

Currently we have the previous owner's mix of ugly curtains, ugly blackout plastic curtains (yikies) on plastic, spray-painted silver curtain rods, and mini blinds. It is a mess.

To make matters worse, condo rules say all window treatments must be white or cream.

I was considering replacing everything with roman shades to avoid that short curtain problem. The decor is eclectic, mostly a mix of modern and some rustic elements in the textiles. I tend to see roman shades used mostly in contemporary spaces, and that is a style that is not really represented here, so my concern is whether it will go.

TIA
Jeanette Hauser
What about white wood blinds? Classic and functional.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 3:31PM
0825sam
Would a natural fiber roman shade work with your style? If you search houzz living rooms I think you will see that could be a definite yay :)
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 3:32PM
jan74
It would, and we've had bamboo, fiber, and wood in the past - they are also catproof. However, if it is not white, it will not fly with the condo board. I even went as far as volunteer to be condo board secretary to try and get that window treatment rule changed, and the condo president is with me, but we have a board member who is adamant that cannot be changed.

The only natural fiber types I've seen that were white were all "provençal" style for shabby chic interiors. So we are looking at the ones like this Hunter Douglas vignette one:
http://blindmagic.net/products/roman-shades/

The fact that even on the site, every room is contemporary is not filling me with confidence. *sigh*
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 3:37PM
0825sam
Ugh sorry I missed the white rule!
The 2 inch wood plantation blinds tend to disappear. We have those all over for privacy.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 3:46PM
jan74
I hadn't considered plantation blinds! I will definitely be pricing them now, thanks.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:18PM
Roman shades are a bit outdated IMO.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:38PM
jan74
That is my feeling too, Dytecture - it feels very mid-90s to me.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:41PM
I like these simple linen ones (for an older house), and these more modern ones for a newer one:
Motorized Roman Shades in a bay window and built in window seat
Aventura Roman Shade
2 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:49PM
jan74
Those look nice.

I think I might settle on the rolling kind from Hunter Douglas, rather than the roman style one. It will still give me the same functionality of "saving space" when compared to real blinds or curtains, but maybe with a less dated look.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:56PM
tspann
What about a fiber roman shade with blackout lining? They'd be white from the outside and whatever you want on the inside
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 5:01PM
jan74
There are some people who did that here with curtains. Is there a way to get decent looking blackout lining though? Cause what they have going on is what is here currently, and it looks like cheap white plastic tarp.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 5:25PM
tspann
Visit a hunter Douglas showroom. A high quality blackout lining shouldn't look like a tarp. Happy shopping
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 11:05PM
jan74
Thanks. We're mostly looking at Hunter Douglas stuff anyway cause we are also shopping for ceiling curtains for our covered terrace area...
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 5:31AM
JMittman Designs
When you say the window treatments must be white, do you mean from the outside? Or does the actual covering have to be white?
I disagree on roman shades being dated. Clients request them all the time. Only thing I make more of is curtain panels. They also do not have to be contemporary looking. It really depends on your fabric choice.
There is definitely better blackout lining than what you currently have. The blackout lining I use is very soft and pliable. Do you need blackout lining? Do you need privacy?
If you don't want fabric treatments, there are many options with shades and blinds.
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 5:43AM
jan74
We are gonna need privacy soon - there is another high rise being built next door as we speak. So currently, we are ok without it, but give it a few months and workers will be staring directly into our bedrooms...

I want something cat-proof. Before I had fabric treatments but I'd just go to a store, pick something on sale (hint: it was never white, it was always the striped or printed curtains on sale...), hang it on my window, wait a year or so for the cats to trash it, repeat. Now it looks like I'll have to spend some actual money on the treatments, so I don't want something the cats will trash in 12-18 months.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 2:58AM
Sigrid
My house came with a lot of Roman shades. I was never all that keen before I had them, but they work well and look good. They are more effective at insulation that regular shades because they are closer to the window and heat from the radiator underneath doesn't go up in the inside.
0 Likes   January 31, 2014 at 3:01AM
indianpatti
I don't think roman shades are outdated ... you can get white backs and pick a print if you want.
0 Likes   January 31, 2014 at 4:20AM
SK Designs
I agree 100% with JMittman. Blackout lining is available that is very silky, soft and pliable, unlike the stiff rubbery blackout lining from years ago. Roman shades are very popular due to their functionality and the ability to have a wide variety of looks iwth different fabrics, banding, etc. I work with many clients who have neighborhood deed restriction regarding the color of window treatments that faces the street, and it is really a lining issue, not a fabric-that-faces-the-room issue. White linings are available in a variety of fiber contents and weights, as well as blackout, dimout, thermal lining, and many more, depending on the need for that particular room or client.
0 Likes   January 31, 2014 at 6:52AM
Yay or Nay? Household items as light shades?
Tea cups as pendant lamp shades is a cheeky twist on...
Roman shades in kitchen - yea or nay?
We have white blinds in our kitchen, which we really...
Electric Fireplaces-yay or nay?
Our living room is approx 10"x16". One end of the...
Cork floors? Yay or nay?
Yay or nay? I'm debating on laying cork floors through...
Runnels next to sink- yay or nay?
My granite guy is coming back today to re-template...
basement needs style!
We have a large basement area that needs style help....
Bathroom floor tile question - highly textured a bad idea?
I have fallen in love with a tile for our bathroom...
Ideas for master/bath
I have an arched doorway from master to bathroom suite...
How should I improve this curb appeal?
When I bought this house, it was so overgrown that...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...