House paint color and landscape suggestions..
Garden's Edge Growers
Our house needs to be painted. Color and landscape suggestions appreciated. I want curb appeal.
Rockin' Fine Finish
White trim gray siding black shutters and black door.
March 11, 2013 at 8:50PM     
Ross NW Watergardens
I like the nandina in the small bed and the palm hiding by the corner of the house. Just about everything in between the two should go.

Smaller shrubs against the house. Add an island bed in the lawn and maybe a bed against the driveway. That would be a good start :-)
March 11, 2013 at 9:20PM   
Jayme H.
Color ideas...and a nicely landscaped yard...
March 11, 2013 at 9:33PM   
Jayme H.
landscape idea: more variation needed in your landscape...too many bushes all the same height and color in front of your house..
March 11, 2013 at 9:38PM   
backbonemountain
The house and front door are hiding behind the overgrown shrubs. Looks like you don't want company. Maybe add an uncovered, small patio area to open up the entry!
March 11, 2013 at 10:06PM   
88 Atelier for Architecture
Remove all the bushes and replace with low level landscaping that does not make your house look like it is squatting. Adding a paved walkway along the drive that takes you straight to the front door would add elegance. Keep paint colors in same family.
March 12, 2013 at 4:32AM   
rinqreation
I can't tell what type of shrub the longer hedge is, but cut it down to about a foot high&wide, see if it grows back and keep it short. If it doesn't you can always take it out and get something else. Take out the bush in front of it and/or move it more towards the garage door. Give the window some space.
March 12, 2013 at 5:02AM   
rinqreation
And I think a classical palette will look good on your house.
White with pale blue and navy blue. Yellow with white and green. White, cream, seablue/navy. Green with cream and dark grey. What colors do you prefer?

French Country New Residence
Design-Build
Architecture Walk: Exterior Styles and Palettes
Fall 2012 Parade Home
March 12, 2013 at 5:12AM   
janishill
BM Vale mist for the body:http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/valemist
Paint the garage door and trim th esame color, so the eye is not drawn to them, but to your front door instead.

BM Gentlemens Gray for shutters: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/gentlemansgray#ce_s=gentl

And Oxford white trim: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oxfordwhite

Remove all the shrubs, the nandina and the palm. Leave what looks like some type of myrtle tree and the hosta underneath. Plant fountain grass where the nandina was.

Keep the dog! :-)

Because I can't see the porch I won't make recommendations as to what to plant in front of it.

Hope to see updates!
March 12, 2013 at 5:55AM   
Artistic Group
I agree, the existing shrubs must go! I would extend the planting bed to the driveway and define the bed with stone edging. I recommend using a natural stone edging instead of a brick. It creates a better barrier, doesn't fade and lasts much longer. Encore azaleas and emerald 'n' gold euonymus look and keep good color year round. I also suggest rock accents to break up the continuity of all the mulch. I agree with the classical palette for color options on your home! Good luck with your project!!
March 12, 2013 at 5:59AM   
Artistic Group
Here is a better view of the stone edging. I also think recessing a few boulders across the front landscape bed would look great!
March 12, 2013 at 6:10AM   
Lisa Lornie
Thought I would share our paint colors as we also have a ranch home we just painted This is SW messenger bag. The shudders are SW Mount etna. The porch is a limestone green that we customized and the front door is a Cranberry color ( forgot the name)
March 12, 2013 at 6:18AM   
laurawagner
You have some excellent suggestions. I agree with backbonemountain that by planting only around your foundation you have made the home univiting. A nice patio/courtyard would be wonderful and will make your home appear larger. You obvously live in a warmer climate (by your home style and planting material) so extend your homes space by creating outdoor areas. I would tackle the landscaping before addressing the house color. I think the landscaping will do more to change your opinion of your home than the color. Other things not mentioned are your house numbers placement, I would center over garage door. Update your lighting with black fixtures & larger scale. When you pick your color scheme I would paint the porch column the color of the trim. I would change the frontdoor. The oval window really is misplaced on your house. I think a window on the door is important for your style home and much more inviting to approach than a solid door. I would prefer a larger square window with a ratio of 3/4 window to 1/4 solid panel. All of the major paint companies offer free programs to upload your homes image & repaint it!!
March 12, 2013 at 6:23AM   
Garden's Edge Growers
Here's a picture after i trimmed the bushes. I'm thinking about the gray with white trim. And I do want to add a paver walk and small porch. That will come with money. Anyone have any inexpensive easy fix ideas? Thanks!!
March 27, 2013 at 3:24PM     
jbmitchell73
Painting the front door an orange or yellow tone that works with the blue on the house would provide instant impact. (I would also suggest removing the collection of pots on the sidewalk to tighten up the appearance.)
May 29, 2014 at 7:25AM   
70s Tile Bathroom
So we just bought this house that was built in 1971....
Curb appeal?
New house! There seems to be something missing from...
Office Space
I'm trying to decide what do do with this space. I'd...
rug to go in living room
grey walls, grey sofa, cream chairs, very light silver...
Lighting
We discovered our 8" support beam runs through the...