Is it a bad idea to put wallpaper here?
cindychen
I'm thinking about putting wallpaper on my dining room wall (currently having 3 mirrors but they will be removed if the wallpapers are put on), but the wall has an air-out panel near the ceiling, is it a bad idea to put wallpaper on because of the panel? Will the panel visually block the cohesiveness of the wallpapered wall? Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions and opinions!
tennisanyone
Right now the vent is very noticeable because the mirrors have to be below the vent. I think wallpaper would be a good idea and it might blend in better.
6 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:15PM
mpoulsom
The room looks really nice already. I'll let some of the wallpaper experts take this one, but I would think that the air vent would show up more with wallpaper??? and the other thing that I always tell people is to paint the air vent the same color as the wall, not the trim color. They do make some decorative vent covers, so if it has to stand out, maybe investigate something prettier for a cover.
14 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:18PM
A Crew of Two
Paint the vent the same color as the background of the wallpaper
9 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:18PM
bevballew
Paper it!!! I have papered for many years with vents. A good wallpaper person will actually paper the vent. All that will show is the slats. It is no big deal and really easy to do! Pretty room!!
21 Likes    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:29PM
Decorating Den Interiors - Susan Keefe, C.I.D.
Looks like a beautiful room. A beautiful wallcovering could work beautifully as long as you do what kklinton suggests; paint the vent to blend with the background of the wallcovering. With a pretty pattern to draw the eye the vent will just blend in better and be much less obtrusive.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:32PM
vjs12
Wallpaper and remove those mirrors. The mirrors compete with the beautiful moldings you have in the room. The vent can be painted the background color of the wallpaper (no big deal).
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:35PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
A competent wallpaper guy would for one cover the vent but its labor intensive. Also you totally need to do that or get a laser cut vent color and paint it the exact color of the paper or have it faux painted to match: patterncut.com
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:36PM
bevballew
I have seen wallpaper people cover vents as if it the only and right way to,do it. They take pride,in their work and it is not that labor intensive. I have done it myself. If it is too much labor for,the, you have the wrong wallpaper person.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:56PM
ivanatanasov
Yes it is.Just dont do it .Now everyting its perfect
    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:28PM
jjandhk
Wallpaper would be totally elegant! I also have papered vents--not a problem. Or else, painted the background colour of the wallpaper makes it less noticeable.
(i'm picturing just the top half of the wall will be papered...is that what you are thinking?)
    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:33PM
cindychen
Thank you all so much for the wonderful ideas! I'm papering it!!! Bevballew, what do you mean by papering the vent? You are not talking about covering it completely w/ wallpaper, are u?
    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 7:12PM
cindychen
Yes jjdesignkloos I'll be just papering the top. What do u mean by papering the vent? Thank u very much for the help!
    Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 7:15PM
bevballew
They don't paper over the air flow slats, just around the edge or outside border of the vent and actually cut so the paper is on each slat and cut so there is airflow. And he put it on a vent with grass cloth paper. You can even tell it is there.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 6:46AM
cindychen
Thank you Bevballew! What a smart idea! I'm amazed that people do that. Thank you thank you thank you!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 7:13AM
LB Interiors
I agree with ... Bevballew.. & kklinton ... Definately paper the vent. I've papered vents and also painted them to match the color if it's painted only. It really does help it get lost. Love a mirror in the dining room. I would probably use one large mirror rather than three. Love the room.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:04PM
Lisa Doss
NO WALL PAPER!!! wallpaper will compete/distract from the beautiful moldings and ruin the clean look that is going on in this room. Just paint the vent the wall color and your good...however in my opinion the mirrors are dated looking and a great piece of art would work better!
8 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:13PM
Sandy Williams
When I did my dining room in our last house, I did the vent, no one even noticed it was there. It is a lovely room, but loose the mirrors.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:15PM
Rena Ogle Benfield
Mirrors all the way up- or better wallpaper and then mirrors- seperated to the ceiling would be great.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:18PM
Genevieve
Yes Walpaper the vent too and cut the slits in it this will incorporate the vent into the paper and blend it as well. http://voices.yahoo.com/how-wallpaper-switch-plates-vents-6393780.html
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:21PM
Terri Maines_Theisen
How about wall panels, the have so many different kinds & you may be able to cover the vent completely if there is a space between the vent & the panel. Or you could have someone make you fabric panels.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:25PM
Patrick Landrum Design
That's a very poorly placed vent unfortunately. Your best options are to try and blend it in or dramatically accent it. Either can work with wallpaper or no paper. The worst issue I see here is the size and placement of the mirrors. One large mirror would have been much preferable to the three installed edge to edge. There also looks to be a wall control of some kind barely visible behind the left column.

First find a paper you like, a small or large geometric or even stripe could work. To blend the vent paint it the predominate color of the paper. If you choose to paper over the vent and cut the openings, I highly recommend professionally vinyl laminating the paper. No matter how clean you are the vent will get dust and even condensation in some climates (it is very common in Austin) discoloring and damaging the material. Many great looking finishes are available so it doesn't come off as cheap looking.

I personally would accent the grate by purchasing an old architectural vent cover with perforations much larger or smaller than the paper pattern. You can find old ones, or there are many companies that produce standard size replicas in styles from Victorian to Art Deco in metal and wood.

The decorative grate would work with painted wall as well quite nicely.

Happy Decorating!
pl
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:31PM
Teresa Stewart Lapworth
If you can move the air intake that would give you a clean wall to work with. Even moving it lower may help. Adding Wall Paper would most likely highlight the vent even it you cover it. Adding a darker colour would do the same. On another note, I would take off the moulding on the column but leave the moulding at the top and bottom. The column is too narrow to support the narrow rectangular moulding. Once you have solved the vent issue, I believe the answer to your question should be clear! Best of luck with your great space!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:35PM
Laurie _Sloan_Boughaba
YES!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:36PM
Candy Gibbons
No
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:38PM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
I am with the rest of the commenters, wall paper in a large scale pattern and have your Professional cover the vent with paper. Then pick some different mirrors like various sized sunburst mirrors to make a grouping. Take them higher on the wall. Right now the existing mirrors are below eye level, which makes them look akward , along with butting them edge to edge.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:40PM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
I have two more examples. If you go this route, use different shapes and sizes, but stay with the same finish metal
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:43PM
Linda Smith Herzog
I like the idea of wall paper for this wall. It needs something with a pattern because the room looks too plain. I also think the mirrors would look better if they had a different color frame on them. the silver frames dont go with the room very well. I would put frames on them the same color as the table. I would do both the wall paper AND the mirrors. It would give the room some much needed character. If you dont want to buy new mirrors I am sure you could paint the frames but I also think a nice wood frame in the color of the table would rock this room!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:43PM
amldaley
If it is in the budget, I would have the vent moved down to the bottom. If not, I would paint the vent cover to coordinate/blend in with the background or field color in the wallpaper. Painting the vent is simple and inexpensive,
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:47PM
Linda Smith Herzog
I dont think the vent would be as noticeable if you paint it the same color as the background of the wallpaper, Someone else commented that the mirrors are not at eye level but I dont see this as a problem. they look fine where they are but the color is wrong. Getting the wallpaper to stick around the vent is not an issue as long as whoever hangs the paper adds a little extra paste to the water. You can even paper the vent if you want to match the rest of the wall. Its not that hard to do but just make sure you use a good paste that will stick to metal like "vinyl to vinyl" paste. I used to hang wallpaper for a living and although I am not a huge advocate of wallpaper in some cases it can be very beautiful and this room is a prime example of that. Its like anything else... less is best!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:52PM
The Montage
I agree with the above comments of having the wallpaper cover the vent. The paper you are thinking of... is it really bold (large pattern or bright colors) or is it more subtle and calm? That's really where you want to think about whether or not it goes in the space. I would choose a subtle print that goes with your furnishings, something with an espresso color like your dining table with hints of the color of your chair upholstery. I like the above commenters idea of the round starburst mirrors, that would look great in the space and only one would be needed. If you want to keep the mirrors you already have I would suggest only using two, hanging them horizontal instead of vertical and leaving space in-between for a sconce or unique clock. That way if you went with a darker colored wall paper to tie in your table, the mirrors will keep the space feeling open and airy!
Wallpaper examples...
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:55PM
Linda Smith Herzog
or just changing the frames to the color of the table would give the room a much needed wow factor.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:56PM
patty526
Paper is nice, I've had a ton of it..it is removing it that is the pain. That is a beautiful room. You have an outlet on the lower wall. Keep the beautiful color, put a buffet under the rail with 2 lamps (tall, single light buffet lamps) on either end, and a large oval mirror hung sideways above where the mirrors are now.. The curve of the mirror will add interest and reflect the light of the lamps back into the room. Fat rectangle mirror would work too, but I like the large oval for formality and visual effect.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:59PM
kambridge
Yes, wallpaper. It will add a much needed pattern to the room and if done right will work well with the trim/moulding. If keeping the chairs (look like a soft mint), make sure to compliment it. Then, a beautiful piece of art or one ornate mirror will finish the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:07PM
malese
Yes, remove the mirrors! The wallpaper will be much better
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:08PM
Lani Dean
I like to not read any comments before commenting:-) i like the room the way it is, however would probably have done a large mural instead of the mirrors to distract he eye from the vent. True, a good paperer could paper the vent to blend in, but you would still need art or most likely mirrors on the wall anyway!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:12PM
patty526
I have the same chairs!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:13PM
mamaram
I'd like two metal scroll work "shutters" from the chair rail to the crown molding flanking an equal size piece of artwork (or mirror) in the center. The left sided one would "cover" the intake vent without blocking airflow.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:24PM
Culbertson Durst Interiors
Actually I think wallpaper is a mistake. The column appears as though it is not connected to the wall. If so the paper would extend past the column. This would create a strange look in 2 ways. First you would be ending the paper at an exterior corner as opposed to a preferable inside corner. Secondly the paper past the column would extend up to the ceiling where there is no crown molding. By papering you will be accenting is an odd architectural feature.

Ideally move, or in budget not allowing ,paint the vent the same color as the walls as others have suggested. The best idea above is to do a very large diameter decorative mirror (Kim Herning) and YES part of the decorative frame can partially cover the vent. The frame would sit slightly forward of the vent to allow air flow.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:37PM
White Lotus Feng Shui & Interior Design
I am in total agreement with Patrick Landrum Design. A clean regimental stripe would be lovely with the architecture...maybe something like this
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:38PM
Drapery and Design by Carlos
I would repeat the trim work on the top, but only on the sides and add one single large mirror on the center part, wide was the trim work bellow. Absolutely no wall paper.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:39PM
Again, get a custom size decorative vent cover. You need to measure what you have now and then on top of that, have it faux painted once you have wallpapered it with the right paint job: http://www.patterncut.com/brWood-Vent-Grilles_c_1.html
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:39PM
Also the 3 mirrors don't help the hiding/disguising of that vent. Only brings attention to it. You need art, not mirrors. They don't work --too much hardness and too many squares on one wall!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:41PM
Culbertson Durst Interiors
Forgot to add, the current mirrors are to short in relation to the height of the draperies. Either 1 large diameter mirror OR a grouping as Herning suggested above
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:42PM
IN* D* Ex
Look into having the 'air out' vent moved to the floor or ceiling. Then you would have a clean canvas. Good luck!
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 6:13PM
Ashley Schneider
Instead of wallpaper, try one long mirror! Way better than those huge frames breaking it up, and it will open up the space even more!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 6:13PM
Aja Mazin
No wallpaper.
large vertical mirror.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 6:17PM
bdarrow
I'd go for a large, colorful, landscape about one third the size of the 3 mirrors. Hope you have another place for those mirrors.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 6:28PM
bevballew
I had suggested papering the vent. I have had many vents papered. In a bathroom they might start loosening due to moisture so you just re wallpaper it again as usually there is left over wallpaper from a wallpaper job. Furthermore it takes a long time before it starts to separate from the vent. I also have fancy vent covers. I added the decorative one when wall is painted. They are gorgeous. Of course, just painting the grille will help from it standing out if color matches walls. I think your room is stunning and does not need paper but I am sure you may want a change. Mirrors are too close to each other but I still think they look nice.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 7:13PM
aliciap414
you could always paper inside the wall boxes????
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 7:15PM
Celindy Kellum
That vent drives me crazy! What about faux painting?
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 7:43PM
bevballew
It stands out more because it is so much lighter than the walls. When I look at it the slats almost blend in with the walls but the outside edge looks white and the walls are not.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:48PM
jbaghdoian
I would either paint the vent the same color as the wall, hang the mirrors slightly higher then they are, and leave at least an inch between them or paint the whole wall using stencils to get the wallpaper effect. You can stencil right over the vent. Check out Cutting Edge Stencils. I just tried this on a huge wall the I removed wallpaper from and it turned out nicely and I know when I get sick of it I just have to paint over it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 5:38AM
Celindy Kellum
Are the vents active? If you choose to wallpaper, what do you do about those?
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:07AM
bevballew
Yes. It is probably a cold air duct. Necessary with air flow with heating system. If unsure call a heating and cooling co to check it out.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:15AM
cindychen
Culbertson Durst Interior made a good point - the column is not connected to the wall, if I paper the wall, it will extend past the column to the left. The area to the left of the column has no crown molding against the ceiling therefore might look awkward and noticeable w paper. Maybe I should paint the vent and put a large mirror (the 3 mirrors r temporary) or artwork there, as many of u suggested. I've thought about it but it's hard to find the perfect mirror n it'll be difficult to put on (what kind of professional do I need?).

Maybe artwork is better? I do need more color and interest in the space. I'm adding a few more pics showing the whole space, which is basically one large room (dining + living + foyer/hallway), I guess you can't design w/o taking into consideration of the whole space. It all started w/ my blue/beige persian rug, so I did the blue ceiling, blue sofa and beige chairs. The dining chairs looked blue in store but turned out green at home. I painted the walls in a very very light taupe (darker would be better) which has a hint of pink undertone when lights are on. The wall color makes the room look unpainted and darker during the day (at night it looks good because of the pink undertone) and all the blue/green colors are muted so the whole room feels a bit dull and boring so I decided to add the pink/purple accent color through accessaries. I also thought about adding gold tone to the room but the light wall doesn't take gold gold so I'm doing Champaine now, that's why the 3 mirrors has champaine frames, if I change to one big mirror, should I stay w/ champaine frame? And if I do artwork for the dining rm wall (thinking about a set of 3 paintings which tie in all the colors in the rm: blue, green, beige and pink/purple), should I do wallpaper for the foyer/hallway wall for a change (right now I have mirrors and artwork on that wall as u can see from the pic)? Will that be too much if I have artwork on all walls? For wallpaper pattern, I'm thinking about a geometric pattern given the rug is flowery (rug pic is attached). There's been another voice in my head telling me that if I re-paint the walls in a darker color, even just above the chair rails, maybe the pink undertone will show during the day and the room won't be dull any more and it'll solve the prob. But then, will my beige chairs go w/ the pinky taupe wall? Should I do a beige wall instead? What's your take on all these?
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:19AM
cindychen
Sorry, here are the pics.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:21AM
Schulz Design Consulting, LLC
I think others have covered this, but go ahead and wall paper. The biggest problem I see is that your mirrors accentuate the vent instead of distracting your eye from it. Something on the wall that is round or more like your entry way wall (arrangement of smaller things different shapes/sizes) will distract your eye from the vent.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:31AM
bevballew
I see no,big deal,papering around the post to end of the wall with no moulding. Minor detail. House is beautiful. I would take the pic and mirror off the wall in foyer. If you find it drab during the day...I know what you mean as I get like that...I would paper. If you want to be cautious first paint a darker color...at least start with one wall or paint on poster board, several boards, tape to the wall and observe over several days. That is what I would do. If you want paper go for it. You can't go wrong. You do a beautiful job!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:41AM
cindychen
jbaghdoian, stenciling is a terrific idea! I tried cutting edge for my bedroom accent wall w/ tone-on-tone colors, it looks great. However, I did find that it's hard to get the edges sharp even I painted really thin, so I'm a little worried that if I do it on my entry wall (you can stand really close to the wall as supposed to bedroom wall) and if w/ two colors, it'll look sloppy. Maybe you have some tricks? I did try a removable spray, it helped a little but not much.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:25AM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
Seeing the additional pictures helps a lot. This is a large open space ! Schulz Design is right. I would follow her advice and in addition I would use fewer items in your entryway. The wall art shouldn't extend too far past the furniture anchoring it.
And back to the paint or paper, adding a large scaled designed wall covering to the two walls in the dining area would add drama. You could then paint the insets of the picture frames on the lower walls to tie the two areas together. As far as the design, I think you need more curves to echo the shape of the chairs and I would go with a "simplified damask " design. This effect could also be achieved with stencils and faux painting.
From the pictures the room appears very cool in feeling and overall gray. If that is your intent and you decide on painting , from your original color go two shades darker. But whatever you do, give yourself time and do lots of samples on poster board so that you can view what the color does during the different times of the day. And bring home wallpaper books to see what works in the space.
Also, please keep in mind the advice you receive from the professionals on houzz will be based on our experience and training. When we give suggestions we are following the elements and principals of design.
Do you have plans in the future for a buffet or another furniture piece for your Dining room wall ? You have the space for it and if so this needs to be factored into your design.
Another thing that would help hide the vent would be to invest in a very large tree sized palm tree that would go almost to the ceiling-- you have the space for this too.
And where is the chandelier in the Dining Room ? You need one ! An electrician could possibly wire one in going off the existing lighting.
You have an elegant space and have a good start with what you have done, keep working at it remembering how you want the end result to "feel".
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 11:13AM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
On the stenciling... Cindy, did you use a stenciling brush with a mostly dry brush and "pounce" the paint on ? It sounds like you had too much paint on your brush if you had uneven edges. From my experience in the past with stenciling, after you dab the end of the special stenciling brush in the paint, you dab the brush onto paper towels so that the brush isn't too wet. Then very carefully stencil the edges of the design.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 11:20AM
one1crone
I'd use a heavily textured wall covering and paint the vent the same color. The texture would hide the vent.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 1:08PM
jbaghdoian
I used a roller for my stencils. Cutting Edge sells a sponge roller kit that works very well. I rolled onto paper towels after rolling in paint to remove some of the paint before I rolled onto the wall. My stencil turned out with pretty crisp lines but there were some imperfect areas. I truly think that this is the nature of stencils though. I also think that once the whole wall is completed that you see the wall as a whole instead of focusing on the small imperfections. Once you layer in accessories it really minimizes any imperfections. I just removed several yards of wallpaper in my house and simply cannot imagine putting any new wallpaper up to have to remove at a later date. If you are like me, you like to change things in your home periodically and it is such an inexpensive, dramatic change when you can just paint. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 1:29PM
cindychen
Thank you Kim for the wonderful ideas! When I did the stencils, I actually bought the tool kit from Cutting Edge and used the small roller to apply the paint. I did the dabbing on paper towel thing but I guess the paint was still too much, I think your idea of using a brush is better, I’ll try next time.
Back to the design of the room, as I mentioned earlier, I didn’t intent to make the room cool and gray, it all started from my blue/beige rug, hence the blue ceiling, blue sofa, beige chairs and green/blue dining chairs. I made a mistake of picking a very light taupe for the walls making the room dark and cool during the day even w/ the pink/purple accessories. That’s why I want to do wallpaper or artwork to add more interest to the room. There r only 2 walls I can work on, the dining rm wall and the hallway wall, I want to do wallpaper on one and artwork/mirror(s) on another. Culbertson Durst’s comments made me think that maybe I shouldn’t paper the dining rm wall, I’ll do a set of 3 paintings to tie in the colors or a large oval mirror hung horizontally as most of ppl here suggested. I think there’s a benefit to paper the hallway wall. I found that if I only put a mirror above the chest in the hallway, my eyes end there and it feels a separate space from the living rm on the other side. Once I put up the arrangement of art and mirrors, my view extends to the end of the hallway and in the meantime making me feel that the living rm extend all the way to the hallway. U r right, the arrangement did seem too many for the chest and the chair below. Now I’m thinking maybe the wallpaper/stencils will solve the dilemma, I probably can paper the whole wall so my view extends all the way to the end and I’ll just put a mirror on top of the chest so it won’t overwhelm the furniture below. A simplified damask is a terrific idea! Actually, if I do artworks for my dining rm wall, I can also do an antique-finish mirrored wall for the entry way, this is probably a better idea as it could open up the narrow end of the room but I guess the mirrored wall probably gonna cost a lot so I’m gonna stick w/ wallpaper (or stencils if it works).
My dining rm does have space, it actually looks quite sparse comparing to living rm, but since the round table is right underneath the rounded ceiling, I wonder anything I put against the wall would push the table off the center, am I thinking too much? Maybe I can find a thinner buffet, sth like a console w/o the drawers. I’m also looking for a sm table or an otterman to fill the space in front of the bay window. Yes, the chandelier !
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 2:06PM
ecci
Handcrafted eco-friendly wall panels that deliver the look and feel of raw nature into your home.
Look here for the endless possibilities: http://eccidesign.com/?utm_source=analytics&utm_medium=online&utm_campaign=vp3
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 2:43PM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
Here is something I do for my clients when I am designing window treatments that would be helpful with your initial issue -- make four or more large (full paper sized) prints of the first picture you printed on regular paper , black and white is okay (with your copier). Then you can try out different looks by drawing in a wall paper design. Do this on both sides of the column. Also use some of these copies to try out different accessory looks-- mirrors versus art work. To see how a buffet or other furniture piece will work in the Dining Room , you can draw the room to scale on graph paper and make some paper templates of your existing table and chairs and different sized buffets. You can also use painters blue masking tape on the floor to simulate how much space the buffet will occupy.
You don't need to necessarily worry about your table being centered in the room. The table and chair group can be centered on one of the walls to accommodate the furniture piece -- the wall you see looking in from the Living room area. By placing a buffet on this wall it will "ground" what ever
art work or mirror you decide to go with. It will also add to the function of the room.
I know wallpaper is scary for a lot of people, but it is coming back strong in the design world and if any space was screaming for a large scaled pattern, this space is. And it would look great going down that long hallway along with the two walls in the dining room. I personally would not want to do that much stenciling.
It would be great, whatever you do to try to bring some of the mint green into the Living room to tie the areas closer together.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 3:55PM
cindychen
I read like to thank everyone for your inspiring ideas! And I'm glad I find a community that I can share my passion with. Thank you thank you thank you!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
cindychen
Thank you Kim for the advice! Testing on paper before doing anything is a good idea, I can also try photoshop. I'm crazy about wallpaper, I always do. Did u mean wallpapering both walls?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 6:35PM
Palindrome Design, LLC
I don't think you can wallpaper your vent! That's crazy talk!
I do think wallpaper would be a great look - and after you paper, have a faux-finisher come in an replicate the look of the wallpaper on the vent.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 6:43PM
cindychen
How do the patterns of wallpaper in the attached pics look to u? I'm thinking about taupe tone-on-tone to match the existing wall color. If stencil works, maybe use the same paint or one shade darker w the highest gloss for the stencil (the existing paint has a matte finish), or maybe metallic paint, does it sound too conservative to u? I want to incorporate the blue and green but I don't know how to do it. I fear it's going to be too busy. Oh, my entry wall is not straight against the ceiling either (see pic) but it doesn't have partial moldings as the dining rm wall does, so maybe it won't look weird when it's papered??
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 6:50PM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
Cindy, I would do one of two choice --
Wallpaper both upper walls in the Dining room (the wall the vent is on and the window wall.
Or wallpaper the long entry wall in addition to the two walls in the Dining Room.
I think if you only wall paper the one wall with the vent on it, it will not be enough.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 6:54PM
bevballew
Palindrome. Would you like me to take a picture of my cold air duct vent with wallpaper on it? It is not crazy and I don't think I am crazy as I look at it with wallpaper on it. Maybe they don't do that kind of work in the area where you live but they do in mine. Thanks for the kind words!! It is not crazy talk my dear!
    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:10PM
cindychen
Thank u very much Kim!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:24PM
Palindrome Design, LLC
Bev - Of course, you can do whatever you like to your home. "Crazy talk" may have been too strong - 'not recommended' may have been a better choice of words. Effects of covering a return: http://www.ehow.com/way_5911877_can-cold-air-return-vent_.html
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:34PM
bevballew
Thanks palindrome. Yes, your language could be more gentle. I have had a register covered for about six years if not longer and still holding up well. For years I have had vents covered with no problem and I am surprised how people were unaware of it. My vents are not completely covered. The slats are left open yet each slat has paper on the lip of it. I have it on only one room vent so hopefully it does not affect the whole house. It is not stopping air flow because the air is able to come through. i never meant to suggest covering the whole vent preventing air flow. That is even strange to conceive. Good to know and thanks for the link. I will read it thoroughly. So I still think it would be ok to put paper on the border of the vent. Wouldnt you agree it is safe to do so?
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:44AM
bevballew
And palindrome I would not be so crazy to cover a vent. I come on here innocently making suggestions but then have to be addressed in such a manner, all the more from an educated person. I would suggest it is not recommended to be condescending but,perhaps that was not intended.
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:50AM
chantybum
I think if you separated the mirrors with a little bit of space equally between them along the wall and paint the vent the same color as the wall you have a perfect room
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 7:07AM
Aja Mazin
Palindrome Design, LLC and bevballew,

We have just witnessed the difference between a gracious acceptance of a sincere apology and a rant.
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 7:24AM
Patrick Landrum Design
Cindy,

I absolutely love the two papers you posted. I also love the blue ceilings which will reflect in the metallic paper giving you the blue-green effect you are after. As for the wall extension past the column and header, with no crown...it is what it is...I wouldn't let this little issue dictate the overall look of your dining space. It definitely would not bother me to see the paper to the ceiling with no crown on one side of the column.

As for the vent...with one of the papers you posted, perhaps a metallic finish grate- either a new one in polished nickel, chrome or whatever matches the paper background or paint in a metallic finish.

You have a really beautiful home!!

p
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:42AM
cindychen
Palindrome and bevballew, it all started w/ my question so it's my bad, you both are just trying to help me, I don't think any of you meant to say anything hurtful so pleaaaase don't take it too seriously (that includes all fellow houzzers). We should be having fun here and helping each other.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:45AM
In your hallway there are four panels before you hit the beam. I feel like that area should be hall. It looks like the mirror over the Asian piece is the same as the three in the dining room. My suggestion is to hang the four mirrors over the four panels. Do not extend after that beam.

Before you decide on wallpaper (of which I am a big fan) paint your vent the wall color. It will disappear. Leaving your wall the color it is now, find a spectacular paper and frame it as if it is art work. I like the fact that one color runs through your rooms. And I like the wallpaper idea, but would rather see it applied with your existing wall color around it.

Something like this, but running horizontally.

1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:05AM
Village Design Group
Not at all, wallpaper is a great idea!! Maybe a floral or paisley. You could might paint the vent a color from the wallpaper to make it less noticeable. You could probably paper the vent. Others have suggested a decorative vent cover. Those are great for the floor, but might make it stick out even more on the wall. If it's not too big expense, you might even see if the vent could me moved. I'd look at Seabrook, Thibaut, or Ronald Redding for wallpaper. If I can help you anymore, feel free to email me- msherrer@earthlink.net.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:06AM
bevballew
Thanks Cindy. You are a gem. I did not see an apology but that is ok. That is what I thought. It should be fun. I was just trying to help. It was good info about vents.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 3:08PM
cindychen
Thank u Bevballew!
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 7:32PM
cindychen
Thanks to all your help, I'm definitely gonna paper/paint the vent and paper the walls. I'm just a little hesitant on which wall(s) to paper. The attached pic shows the view from the entrance, the space is a one big rm. The pic is distorted a little, it's really a long narrow rm, w/ the hallway on left, and first the living rm and then the dining rm on right. If I paper the entry wall on the left and the two dining rm walls, it'll only leave the living walls, will that break the feel of one big rm? In addition, there's no clear boundary between living and dining rm, if I paper the dining rm window wall, it'll extend to the living rm window, but it doesn't extend over too much so I guess it might be ok. So if I don't paper the above 3 walls, I'm hesitant on whether to paper the 2 dining rm walls, just the dining wall w the vent or just the long entry wall on the left.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:00PM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
If the column in the living room attaches to the wall, stop the paper on the dining room side. If the column does not attach, then just paper the long entry way wall and the dining room wall with the vent.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:24PM
bevballew
My pleasure cindy! you are sweet! That is what I thought. I would paper the dr room wall with the vent and the entry way wall. Both papers you showed above are absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully they match the paint so you do not have to paint.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:03PM
cindychen
I’d really like to thank everyone of you for taking time helping me! Your ideas and suggestions are truly inspiring! This is my first time using Houzz Discussions, when I put the question out, I didn’t expect to receive anything. Your pouring responses really touch my heart, I feel so blessed! Kim, you’ve written to me so much, and Village Design Group, you even posted your email address, I almost wanted to ask you:”hey, don’t you remember that you are supposed to charge by hour? Don’t you know that I’m just a stranger?”. I really want to thank every one of you, too bad that I cannot leave notes to every comment. All I can do here is to write to all of you and thank you for making me feel a part of a big family.
I'll do as you suggested and post the pics when I'm done. It'll be OUR project!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 2:09PM
Decorating Den Interiors Kim Herning
Cindy, you are so welcome. Yes, I do charge by the hour, but you caught my attention in between projects. I was happy to be of help to you , have fun and I can't wait to see your after pictures :)
    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 3:12PM
bevballew
Can't wait to see! Have fun!:)
    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:09PM
cprav7
That is a beautiful room! I would say no wallpaper. I don't think it would look good with all the beautiful paneling!
    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:26PM
mossstar
I think wallpaper would overwhelm the room, maybe place 3 medium size pieces of artwork...11x14 size in place of the mirrors. Can't wail to see the end the result, the wall color is very calm and soothing.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:07PM
LB Interiors
A vent can be covered with wallpaper. Cover the entire vent. Then each louvre is carefully cut with a zacto knife, and strips of paper are on the louvres. The paper was on the vents for years. Heating and air are not blocked.
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:53PM
Would it be a bad idea to hire an interior designer that is not local?
We are building a 4200 sq ft home with a semi custom...
toothfairytoo
Covering European Radiator...Bad idea?
Our plumber, whom I am fond of, and my husband, even...
noreaster88
Is carpeting a living room and dining room a bad idea.
The kitchen and entry have porcelain tile that looks...
tootsielou
purple eggplant aubergine good or bad idea for beige tile beige tub bathroom ?
The tiles are beige, the tub & toilet are beige and...
sarahwang99
Need help with my living room
I don`t know, but something is wrong with this living...
Tia Mia
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
What to do with blank wall with cathedral ceiling in my living room
Please pardon my clutter in the foreground while I'm...
Erin R
wooden log on fungus/ rotting
hi i'm design up a wooden log wall for my live kitchen...
ashu101