Need help updating my kitchen!
Kelly Halbert
Hey everyone,

We just moved into our house last year and are getting ready to do some updates to our fabulous for 1978 kitchen! We actually love the cabinets which were custom built and want to keep them. Obviously ALL of the tile countertops as well as the tile on the walls will be going. These pictures are from when the previous owners owned the house. We have already removed the cabinet over the kitchen sink to open the kitchen up to the breakfast room. So here is what I am thinking of doing:

countertops: replace the countertops with a black/very dark granite or quartz. the island would be either stainless steel or concrete?

island: have the island painted black to contrast the other cabinets

replace the stovetop with an induction cooktop - I want the countertop to look as smooth and seamless as possible so hopefully it will sort of match the countertops.

new modern looking stainless steel exhaust fan. we would remove the three cabinets over the cooktop and only have the exhaust fan there.

backsplash - have a backsplash in a mixture of materials that would pull together the black and stainless steel countertops. it would run up the wall behind the newly opened area where the cabinets were over the cooktop.

both sinks will be updated with new faucets - i like sleek and modern, stainless steel.

new lighting over the island(need suggestions for this!)

I am in particular interested in ideas regarding the backsplash and countertops if you have an idea different than mine. I am also looking for some ideas for wall colors once this is all done.

Hopefully my explanations are somewhat clear at least! Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Kelly Halbert
Sorry - not all of my pictures up loaded! Here are some more.
March 11, 2013 at 8:03PM   
Kelly Halbert
Also - I want to replace that trash compactor but the problem is it is only 12 inches wide. I wanted to put a wine fridge in its place but I am having a hard time finding something that narrow. The matching paneling in the breakfast room is also coming down - way too much wood for me!
March 11, 2013 at 8:04PM   
Jayme H.
You have some great ideas! I would try for some contrast with your new countertops and/or backsplash...and it sounds like u have that already planned!! Your idea for a contrasting color on island is a good one and I like the stainless idea to break up all the wood.
March 11, 2013 at 8:10PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
It sounds like you have a plan, They do have new pendant lights that fit into can lights without no wiring, That would be great over the island. Check lampsplus.com or other light stores.
March 11, 2013 at 9:16PM   
Kelly Halbert
Hi Kevin, We actually have already done that - these pics are pre-move in. I hated the plain look and picked some cheapies up at Lowes. They look ok - but I love a more modern look, so would love some suggestions!
March 11, 2013 at 9:24PM   
backbonemountain
Pendant lights with a splash of colors or a bright blue. I don't see any walls to paint. Keep the ceiling and cornices white.
March 11, 2013 at 9:27PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
look for Murano glass pendants , great colors
March 11, 2013 at 9:31PM   
mveasey
Love your unique kitchen! Hiw about some Tom Dixon "Beat" pendants? Would go well with your dark counters and go well with your kitchens feel...
If you are looking for tiny appliances look into European ones, sometimes not even sold here, make sure it is able to convert to 110Volts!
March 11, 2013 at 9:45PM   
mveasey
Here a photo of the pendants.
March 11, 2013 at 9:46PM     
Kelly Halbert
@backbonemountain....we are removing all of the tile and drywalling so i am looking for a color that will go well with the cabinets. we are also removing all of the paneling in the breakfast room so i will need a color that will work well in that room also.

@mveasey - I never thought to look for European sized appliances! THanks!
March 12, 2013 at 3:33AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Also check RV's appliances They have wine fridges too. Very compact. I bought a washer /dryer combo for a small space once. As for color how bold do you want to go? I could see purple or Turquoise or lighter colors Aqua or pale citrus green. Grey is a common neutral now. Color blocking walls would be a great modern spin. Or a metallic wall paper in a large over scale chevron design would be just beautiful on the back wall of the dining room. With solid silver grey walls for the rest in a satin finish.
March 12, 2013 at 3:47AM     
88 Atelier for Architecture
You have some nice ideas that will work well. My only tip is that when using dark colors more lighting is needed so I recommend continuous lighting above the countertop. A stainless steel tile backsplash may also reflect some of the light.
March 12, 2013 at 4:02AM     
Kelly Halbert
I am adding some pictures of the kitchen with the cabinet over the sink taken down, as well as of the pendant lights we placed over the island(not a permanent fix possibly). You can also now see the fridge and the pantry cabinet.

We are also thinking about extending the countertop on the peninsula to the edge of the wall that you see there so we can have extra seating there - I am not sure if we should just go straight out or have some kind of raised bar seating.
March 12, 2013 at 6:13AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would go straight out on the counter.
March 12, 2013 at 11:09AM   
cheals
I would go with a concrete counter top. Have you thought about back painted glass for the backsplash?
March 12, 2013 at 11:40AM   
cheals
Also I'm not sure if I would paint the island. Although I do think it would look nice for now I think it will look dated eventually and you would probably have to repaint them. I know a lot of people are painting cabinets now (I'm one of them) but most of those cabinets are either in bad shape or quite honestly just not attractive. If the wood is in bad shape-go for it. They look to be in great shape though and I love the style. Mine were in terrible shape on the bottom and hideous so we painted them. We removed the 80's refacing on the top cabinets to expose the 1959 shelving underneath. Painting over anything from the 70's or earlier usually breaks my heart if they were worth saving. If they are from the 80's or later I usually say cover it up!!! You'll get some color with your backsplash and wall paint!
March 12, 2013 at 12:00PM   
Kelly Halbert
One more picture...I am trying to give everyone a clear idea of the space!
March 12, 2013 at 12:19PM   
cheals
Sorry if you already wrote this but what is on the walls? I can't tell if it is paint, wallpaper or panelling.
March 12, 2013 at 12:22PM   
Kelly Halbert
@cheals I like the idea of concrete countertops, but can't seem to sell my husband on it unfortunately. I was thinking about using a combination of stainless steel and black painted glass for the backsplash to pull everything together. My biggest fear is painting the cabinets only to have them scratch because we use that island a lot.

@kevin I was leaning toward going straight out - I like the idea of a big flat usable space. I guess I can live with not being able to use the drawers.
March 12, 2013 at 12:24PM   
cheals
My husband is usually my greatest obstacle:)
March 12, 2013 at 12:39PM   
Elite Fixtures
What do you think of this fixture?
March 12, 2013 at 2:50PM     
Julie Abshire
Have you considered an ice machine instead of a wine cooler when you replace the trash compactor?
You have alot of space to put the wine cooler of your choice in another area.
I LOVE my ice machine!!!
March 12, 2013 at 4:18PM   
onthefence
Kelly, any chance you could expand the cabinet where your trash compactor is to fit a wine cooler? Then instead of an end panel on the cabinet, do a waterfall edge with your granite/quartz.
March 12, 2013 at 4:30PM     
annchinook
This kitchen must have been the envy of the block back in 1978, while the finishes are dated by today's standards something about it still seems stylish and high-end. A well laid out kitchen can transcend any decade or 3 haha. You have some great ideas, please post photos when it is complete! I am curious about the rest of your house...
March 12, 2013 at 5:16PM     
Kelly Halbert
@mishikins - Ha Ha! I should post pics of the bathrooms - same kind of situations - high end, but 1970's. Can you see the built in Thermador can opener on the wall? I am thinking about putting a tv there as I already have electric. My kids are bummed though - it still works and they like to use it!

@onthefence I don't think I can extend it - I only have just enough room for the walkway, plus I need to keep enough room so I can access the pantry.

@elitefixtures Love it! Pretty much what I am looking for - not sure about black though. Any ideas for over the peninsula/sink?

However! Good news! I found a 12 inch wine cooler - I have already ordered it! Let's hope it works!

Thanks everyone! I am glad to hear that you think I am on the right track! Any idea is appreciated though!
March 12, 2013 at 6:26PM   
Kelly Halbert
Any thoughts on soapstone for this kitchen? I kind of like the look of it and it seems like everyone has granite......
March 12, 2013 at 6:28PM   
annchinook
Post your pics of the bathroom!
March 12, 2013 at 6:41PM   
Need help updating my small kitchen.
Cupboards, countertops, handles, sink, colors, appliances...I...
Need help with this tile backsplash in my kitchen. Update me!
Tearing this tile out and want to replace with a more...
Need help to update my Kitchen
I want to take the wall paper down and paint, granite...
Need help figuring out how to update my kitchen
Hello! I currently have a kitchen that was built in...
I need help with flooring for my kitchen update.
I have just replaced laminate countertops with a moderately...
Pantry Moths - The WORST!
This morning I saw the tell tale flutter out of the...
back splash to coordinate with Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo?
Our kitchen is being installed but I'm stuck as to...
Need help with kitchen wall tiles
We are building our house and hence have no photos...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Please help me with my lighting!
I know, duplicate post, but forgot to add pics and...