I need help with these curtains
Tracy Schwartz
So, first of all, I know that they're crooked. :) This is just a "let's see if this would work" attempt. Anyway, I'm trying to update the look in my living room. The gathered rod pocket look on small hardware is what I've become tired of looking at... I got some chunkier hardware that I will put up - a bit higher, and eventually I will make new curtains. But in the meantime, I thought a quick fix might be to just put the old curtains on rings. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the way it looks. I need more eyes on this before I spend money or drill holes...
Tracy Schwartz
Oh, and here is the full room so you can see my jumping off point.
March 11, 2013 at 8:17PM     
backbonemountain
I like the curtains on the rings better than the gathered look which seems best in a bedroom. Add some length to your curtains with a solid color found in the curtains and hang the rods higher. You have a lot of black in this room. Add a throw over a chair, some colored pillows, a light tray on the coffee table, a rug under the coffee table, a colored shade for the lamp...
March 11, 2013 at 8:25PM     
I agree with you about the rod pockets and think the clips look much better. But I find the color of your drapes jarring in the room. It's too much contrasting color all in one place, and all your furniture looks black giving everything a heavy feel. I think you should look for drapes or fabric that is much more neutral with just a pop of color, and then pick that color up somewhere else in the room, in throw pillows or some other accessories.
March 11, 2013 at 8:25PM     
Tracy Schwartz
Great suggestions from both of you. I am going to start looking at fabrics for the windows, so suggestions would definitely be welcome. (I should add that the adjoining rooms are a buttery yellow kitchen and light green sunroom.) I know that we need to brighten up, and I've already purchased some fabric for pillow covers that will help. On the wish list as well is an upholstered or leather ottoman to replace the coffee table.
March 11, 2013 at 8:29PM   
backbonemountain
Cut the legs down on the coffee table (if needed) and add upholstery yourself for a DIY project.
March 11, 2013 at 8:34PM   
Tracy Schwartz
Hmmm. I might be that brave, but I'm not sure... I like the idea. I'll ponder that one.
March 11, 2013 at 8:36PM     
Fabric ideas:
March 11, 2013 at 8:54PM     
aerinrae
I think your area is lovely. You would benefit from lighter curtains, in color and fabric. Maybe a neutral on neutral pattern? Plus raising them closer to the ceiling would work wonders, You have a ton of dark, dark, dark, going on. Try with the lighter curtains, add some throws and pillows that aren't so heavy. Balance it all out.
March 11, 2013 at 9:18PM     
Tracy Schwartz
I worry about going too neutral with the tan walls. I don't want to wash away. Can you give me some examples to I can see what you're talking about? Thank you!
March 11, 2013 at 9:20PM   
aimran
how about clamping so & replacing curtains with plainer-looking ones greenhome_15.jpg with striped cloth (colour as accent for room) edging at the back? it would look interesting as you have corner double windows & add more of softness & elegance.. you could DIY them.

and your living room only needs warmth that these wall colours can lend: Decor by Jennifer Inc & Astoria Guest Retreat
March 11, 2013 at 10:39PM   
Cheery Curtains
I strongly recommend you use a rod connector to join the rods to create a continued view, which is better.
March 11, 2013 at 11:47PM     
Tracy Schwartz
Thank you for taking time to look at my room. I've decided I've had it with the curtains, and they have to go sooner than later. I just don't have a vision yet, and I implore you for help. Dark furniture and wall color stays. I will add some yellow and green and cream accents with pillows, a throw... (colors in adjoining rooms). What do I do for the curtains? I would like to use the hardware I have. I plan to raise them (how high?). Do I continue around corners? Do I take them in more toward the fireplace? What fabric? Too many good choices to look at, and I need a jumping off point from all you helpful people. Thanks so much!
March 22, 2013 at 9:03PM   
Tracy Schwartz
Here are some curtains I'm trying to decide on. It's all very monotone now, so I need help with suggestions for accessories that would not compete with the curtains. Thanks SO much!
June 1, 2013 at 6:52PM   
ahrice32901
curtains look much better!
June 1, 2013 at 7:02PM   
I like the rings. You should keep them open each pushed to far side. Put a bamboo shade under panel for texture. Can buy Home Depot. Easy to hang. Go dark. Leave half way dn.
June 1, 2013 at 8:22PM   
You could use some color and a print in panels. A glass coffee table bigger 36" square. Add pillows with color.
June 1, 2013 at 8:24PM   
Tracy Schwartz
I've got lots of pillows, but none that I have work with the colors. Can you all suggest some colors that will "go"?
June 1, 2013 at 8:47PM   
Nancy Walton
I think you should go less "busy" with the fabric. It also looks too heavy for draperies. The fabric should be lightweight enough to drape. You can test drape of fabric by accordian folding in 6" folds the whole width of the fabric and being able to hold it in one hand. Also, ask the clerk who is helping you to cut the fabric if what you have picked out is suitable for draperies.
June 2, 2013 at 12:21AM   
Nancy Walton
Here are some fabrics from Joann.com
June 2, 2013 at 12:37AM   
Iris Design Studio
The curtails need to be higher, 3" off the ceiling, and go all the way down, to achieve a more dramatic look. In addition, the lamp needs to be replaced with up-light floor lighting and the curtains can receive a more dramatic effect by using LED lights.
June 2, 2013 at 12:47AM   
Which color carpet with gray walls? (Bedroom)
Painted my bedroom Behr's Pewter Mug (medium gray)....
How to clean off grout haze from tiles
Just finished tiling the entire house! used a plank...
Livingroom arrangement
We just bought this house and need help on the livingroom....
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....
Mans library
We would like to make this room look Scottish, with...