Dining room re do
carothers awards and engraving
Hello
I need help I have had my dining room this color for 5 years or more and want to change it
I need help with wall color window and do I need a rug ? I would love to get a dining room table thinking of a farm table
I got a table top wine cabinet for Christmas and need something to set it on . I plan to move the piano out.
Any ideas are appreciated
Thank you !
There are numerous options - without knowing your tastes, here are a few ideas:

Would you consider wallpapering the panels above the wainscotting in amazing wallpaper - preferably in a khaki or muted green to counteract the orange of the wood... blue or even golds could work as well...
Brentwood Regency Estate

Dining Room

Stiles Fischer recent projects
March 12, 2013 at 5:37am   
carothers awards and engraving
I had wall paper before painting the chalk paint on the squares
I like the squares but don't know what to put in them
I could add wall paper was wondering about changing wall color to coordinate
March 12, 2013 at 5:42am   
carothers awards and engraving
Another picture of the dining room
March 12, 2013 at 5:52am   
Amy Stanley
I think with all the wood the wall color now is too dark. I would add a rug, farm tables are awesome, what is your current style in the rest of your house?
March 12, 2013 at 5:53am     
carothers awards and engraving
Here is my living room I don't know my style any ideas here for furniture too or color is helpful
I love things that are different I love colors although my husband loves oak and can't paint it :)
March 12, 2013 at 5:57am   
CDR Design
My overall thought is that the room looks very choppy. To achieve a more cohesive look, I would paint the wainscotting and walls all one color. If you would like to highlight the insets above the wainscotting, you could do as ASV shows in the photo of the grey dining room: put wallpaper of the same tone in the insets. I would remove the shutters on the window and replace with floorlength sheers. It will add height to the window. There are a lot of hard surfaces in a dining room and a rug adds textures and softens.
March 12, 2013 at 6:04am   
carothers awards and engraving
Thank you! i like the idea of painting the wainscoting too but not sure I can convince my husband
Curtains and rug great idea to soften once we settle on room color and table
Thanks for your help
March 12, 2013 at 6:11am   
CDR Design
The woodwork is beautiful and we want all happy. If hubby doesn't want to paint wainscotting, an idea would be to paint the upper wall a color similar to the wood (in a deep golden tone) and then inset wallpaper in a similar color. That way, you would have three different textures, but all similar tones. It would look gorgeous and much more elegant.
March 12, 2013 at 6:17am     
hotmholt
please don't paint the woodwork.
March 12, 2013 at 6:21am     
carothers awards and engraving
Thank you I was just taking a picture to see what color would compliment the wood to get that affect
March 12, 2013 at 6:26am   
JWinteriors
A farmers table would look perfect in your dining room. I would switch up the chairs in a lighter wood or fabric. The chandelier could be replaced with something more substantial. If the shutters and wall moulding are staying, then a beautiful valance in a patterned red would work. The walls could be papered in a red and cream or black and cream toile giving it a french country feel. I don't typically put a rug under a farmers table unless it is a more traditional room. A buffet ( think antiques dresser) would hold your wine display. Add buffet lamps and a large antique mirror. Include art on other walls that fit the space of the wall. You could have two smaller pictures one on top of the other on each side of window.
March 12, 2013 at 7:22am     
carothers awards and engraving
Thank you !!! I love those ideas and thanks for the visual
March 12, 2013 at 7:30am     
inabunker
I get that you're having a hard time conceiving of painting the wainscoting, but it's always going to make the room look depressing. It's a small room and looks dark because of the paneling.
March 12, 2013 at 8:15am     
Amy Stanley
Don't paint the wood it is gorgeous! Personally I would get rid of all the squares on the wall where you currently have blackboard I think with all the wainscoting this is just too much visually. I love the idea of lighter chairs. Your style seems a bit eclectic so you could even do a lighter more modern style chair and it would work. Perhaps something like this paired with a wooden farm table: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-comfort-upholstered-dining-chair/?pkey=cchairs-barstools
March 12, 2013 at 8:27am     
inabunker
Another idea is, if the husband is totally against painting the paneling, I would get rid of all the stuff on the walls and paint that a light color. I would get a light rug and light upholstered chairs and move the table to the center of the room. Maybe with a new light fixture like the one I already posted.
March 12, 2013 at 8:50am     
Art Gems
Hi, I can't tell how much room you have but here is a photo of a dining room with center window like yours, china cabinets flank both sides of windows. Photo is from the house of an artist friend we represent (artgems.org). I hope it is of use! Janet
March 12, 2013 at 11:32am     
carothers awards and engraving
Thank you I have some ideas now and excited to get started
I will paint the walls a lighter color that will coordinate with the wood and take off all or most of the squares
Change the light fixture add sheers for curtains an old dresser for my wine cooler and get a farm table and will decide on the chairs preferably using a lighter color on both table and chairs
What do you think ?
March 12, 2013 at 1:51pm     
pgeis
PHEW!! So glad you will keep that gorgeous wood! It gives the room a depth of personality you could never recreate with paint. If you work with the basic good bones of your home, instead of fighting it, you'll come out with real style. Sounds like you are on the right track. I'll bet if you start with a lighter natural wood farm table with light chairs in the center of the room, you will feel a big difference before you even paint the walls. Have fun!
March 12, 2013 at 2:19pm   
Dining Space Re Do
"My clients wanted to update their dining space while...
Dining Space Re Do
Re Zuo Roca dining table with glass top, do you have matching chairs??
Re Zuo Roca dining table with glass top..................do...
Need inspiration for living/dining area re-do
Would love some ideas for my living room/dining area....
Protecting Hardwood Floors
Has anyone found a great solution to protecting a hardwood...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Our new apartment
We are allowed accent walls in our new apartment. Have...
A Rococo to go ~ Hold the Drama...
Bellesum suggested I start a new thread as a result...
Exterior advice
Need ideas to improve the exterior of this house located...