Dining room help please

caseymaMarch 12, 2013
What colour should I paint my dining room? currently it is a light taupe...want to go darker but not sure how dark I should go? Colours I am thinking of are =
Quahog by C2 or Metropolis by benjamin moore...currently the dining room has dark cherry wood furniture, cream coloured chair seats and the floors are natural oak...so lighter with a hint of yellow after years...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stacey Taylor
If you want a neutral for your walls, choose a color to tie in with the other neutrals in your space to pull the room together. Preferably with the flooring, as that is part of the home itself, as opposed to something separate like furniture/accessories. If the floors are natural oak and as you said towards the yellowy range, try a wall color in a yellow based creamy color to tie in with the floors. Not a yellow, but a creamy neutral with a yellow undertone to it. This will help tie your space together. Hope that helps! :)
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:12AM
caseyma
But if I want to go darker for a change...any suggestions on darker colours other than cream and a very light taupe which is what I have now...
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:17AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
What colors do you like? There are so many options when going dark its hard to even know where to begin. Do you have anything in the room that you can pull ideas from like a pattern on drapes or a piece of art? What colors do you see most in your closet? What is your favorite season? Have you tried browsing through Houzz and noticing which dark dining rooms catch your eye?
I dont see too many imitations on your choices right now, but I feel like you need to do a little homework before finding a color that will make you happy can be chosen.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:23AM
caseyma
I am redoing the dining room so new art work...I will leave the dining furniture which is Ethan allen dark cherry queen anne style chairs with an oval table, quite traditional but other than that the trim is painted cloud white...it is a pretty blank slate. I have a gorgeous swarovski modern chrystal chandelier with two wall sconces that are rectangular, which is more angular and modern and it sparkles like crazy so I am thinking something a bit more modern than just light beige as it is now. Just wondering what the trends are for dining rooms now...it seems to be lighter. I like anything neutral from cream to taupes to greys. Not much of a colour person...
    Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:30AM