Need help with my living room
Jo Pearce
Attached are pictures of my new living/ dining room. in dark / mid / light grey. the sofa's are staying as is my new rug :) and there will be a tv going on the wall opposite. I have a circular freestanding mini bar which will be in the far right hand corner in light and dark wood, and a square dining table going under the hatch (to be removed when we have the time, I know, gross!)
My boyfriend is very minimal and contemporary and I like to lean slightly more collected/eclectic with drops of old and new.
Any ideas for window dressings (the red doesnt seem to be working), art work, accessories in order to create a contemporary traditional minimal eclectic living space? :)
P.s. My aim is to put a deep cushioned ottoman in a contemporary fabric or light colour in the middle of the rug which can act as a footstool, seat, tray table, in order to tie the 2 sofas in together.
Marcella
With your steel grey color, I recomend putting up blue curtains, and paintings with something blue in it, like a bluebird, or a blue flower.
As for your dining room, I suggest using the same blue color for a curtain, but with a pattern. Also I think you should hang a large circular mirror on the wall in the dining room.
March 12, 2013 at 11:14am     
Jo Pearce
thanks for your advice banana! we were hoping to warm the room up a bit, but perhaps blue is the way to go. Jo
March 13, 2013 at 2:22am   
thislittlehouse
Fresh white curtains are always lovely.
March 13, 2013 at 4:39am     
olldroo
The only connection you have with colours at the moment is the grey wall and the grey sofa. Is the glass door your front door? Ideally you should have your sofas arranged more welcoming, as it is they close the room off to the entrance. You really would have been better having one sofa and two chairs, however we have to work with the two sofas. What is on the other wall behind the grey sofa? Can the TV go there and reverse the grey lounge so it faces the front door.

I agree with thislittlehouse and would use white curtains to help brighten the room and would introduce oranges to cheer and warm the room. The swag curtains you have are nice and would also look good in the dining room but I do worry at them touching the heater. Perhaps you might be better off with roman blinds in each room and extend a curtain panel each side of the window to finish the area off but keep them away from the heaters.

[houzz=Courtyard Residence Living Room]

[houzz=H45 Loft]

[houzz=West Village Apartment]

Do you have dining chairs yet? If not, consider white chairs to brighten the area. Your green rug is really nice but gives no impact to the room, not sure about size but could you put it in the dining room, especially if you like the white chair idea, and buy something more colourful, keeping the green but bringing in orange for the lounge area.

[houzz=Seacliff]

Artwork is very personal, no one can choose that for you but if you search Houzz for picture hanging ideas, you will find thousands of ways to use large, small or medium pictures or a collection of different sizes - great for an eclectic look.
March 13, 2013 at 5:30am     
olldroo
P.S. A lower hanging pendant light over your dining table would create a more intimate feeling too. If you don't want to replace the one you have, could you get a longer rod for it.
March 13, 2013 at 5:35am     
Jo Pearce
Thank you for your ideas olldroo. That door is the front door but it is a rear entrance house (there is no road out front) so the door is seldom used. The wall opposite has the door the the staircase, the door to the under stair cupboard and the kitchen door covers it, so should not really considered a useful wall. The sofas are in this arrangement due to the fact that we both like to watch TV in the evenings after work, and the larger sofa is the more comfortable. I cant give up the leather one as I have known it for 20 years, also, I just love it too much. I think that orange is a really good idea, and will help to inject some life and colour into the place.

What size rug would you recommend (i.e bigger or smaller?) I also really like the white chair idea, I was hoping to one day buy ghost chairs, or some simple danish style wooden ones to replace the plain wooden ones we have inherited.

A pendant Light over the dining table is a lovely idea, the current lampshade was left by the previous owners and is absolutely definitely set for the skip. Do you think it would be a good idea to mirror our lampshade choice in both rooms?
March 13, 2013 at 6:58am     
Blinds.com
We agree with oldroo. Roman shades in white will keep your traditional look and lighten up the space. Take a look at the Laura Ashley Soft Fold Roman Shades and let us know what you think (http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,8696). Fabric samples are free, so you can find just the right color!
March 13, 2013 at 7:07am     
olldroo
Jo, if that wall of doors is pretty useless would there be enought room for your TV, even if you wall mount it? It would make a huge difference to your room to turn the lounge the other way and put it against the wall. I would have the area rug slightly under both sofas too, so maybe a wider rug would be better.

The ghost chairs look good and would help keep your room more spacious. You could always put white chair pads on your inherited chairs for now. If they already have a covered seat, in many older chairs the seat part can be pushed out and a new cover put over it and simply stapled on. You could even paint your present chairs if you felt energetic enough, give you a few years before you need to outlay for anything else.

No, you don't need to mirror lampshades at all. If you went for a drum shade in the dining area, then you could probably find similar shaped lampshades, but if you went more elaborate then a simple lampshade would still compliment it. Because of the glare I can't quite work out what you have in the loungeroom or it's placement, but my personal preference is for end tables for your main sofa and lamps on each. If you are only watching TV a strong light isn't necessary and I find softer lighting easier on the eyes. Keep a simple main light for when stronger light is needed.

]
March 13, 2013 at 7:58am     
Jo Pearce
this photo is the only one that I have of said wall, its not really ideal for anything other than stopping heat from going upstairs! and taking time to paint, it is now the pale grey colour
March 13, 2013 at 8:41am   
olldroo
Oh, rats!! Nothing is ever easy is it. Do you not have your TV set up at the moment? I don't see it. Are you just going to wall mount or will you put an entertainment unit along the wall for it? The reason I ask is that if you do, your present rug size should be large enough - just move it back to slightly under the sofa.

You could put an end table in the corner of the 'L' made by the two sofas but it doesn't look like you have much room at the other end of your sofa. Is there room for a sofa table behind it or would that intrude too much into the "passageway". If you put a square end table between the two sofas you could move your light fitting to hang over that table and do away with lamps altogether. This is what I did - my room is still a work in progress.
March 13, 2013 at 6:56pm     
Jo Pearce
No, the TV is not set up, it'll go on an entertainment table filled to the brim with DVD's :)
We also have a couple of small occasional tables which I made myself that will go either side of the chesterfield. I originally wanted to have a sofa table or console table to go in that space but there just isn't the room.
We were thinking of putting a tripod floor standing lamp in the corner between the sofas behind a small round table. Below are pics of the tables to go in, as well another tat I do not yet have a home for. let me know if you have any ideas of what to do with the long one!
March 14, 2013 at 2:04am     
carolins
Those tables are fantastic!!!! Very original and individual.
I'll have a think about your room and see if I can come up with some inspirational ideas for you. The red curtains aren't working and I'm very sorry, but your new rug isn't large enough for your current sofa layout. On a personal note, it doesn't really appeal to me colourwise either. Doesn't seem to go with your floor nor your sofa's. But that could just be due to the photo quality. Sorry.
I do really like the combination of sofa's you have. Love chesterfields.

If you want to warm up the place, blue isn't the way to go. Orange, like olldroo suggested, would be much better.
March 14, 2013 at 2:31am     
carolins
Okay, so... thinking out loud: would it be an idea to put a cabinet, (almost) floor to ceiling against the wall between the window and the front door, but perpendicular to it? So that it's parallel to the wall with the brown door. You could put the TV in that cabinet, put the largest sofa against the long wall and leave the Chesterfield where it is now.

Something sleek like this, but not as large: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69867310/

Just so that it comes into the room only about halfway. It will create sort of a hallway for the space with all the doors.
March 14, 2013 at 2:58am     
olldroo
carolins, you could be onto something there, there is just something awkward about the sofa being where it is and it seems to accentuate the lack of space in the room. I think to go this way, I would only have something half height, you wouldn't want to close the area in any more, but with a flat screen TV it need not be very wide and would create lots of shelving for DVDs. Probably the depth of a DVD player would govern the overall depth.

Jo, I love your tables, you are one talented lady. I can't believe you are asking US for help when you can design things like that!!! If you do move your sofa, then you would have room to put your two tables each end of the main sofa, which would be more practical when that is the one you intend using the most. A tripod floor lamp with the small round table would be fine too.

The long table would make a great coffee table, especially when the legs match the round table, but I don't think you would have the room. Maybe when you get the room finally organised you may find somewhere. There may be room for it in front of the heater in the dining room - somewhere to put drinks or extra dishes during a dinner or stand a nice tall floral arrangement.
March 14, 2013 at 3:39am     
carolins
Yay! I was just mucking the stables (we have horses) and kept thinking about your room. And the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm (almost) convinced that it may be thé solution for your somewhat awkward room. So I'm glad that olldroo agrees. And I agree with olldroo that you are one talented lady. But sometimes you just need some fresh eyes to look at a space and come up with a different idea.

You see, I was thinking floor to ceiling, or almost to ceiling, cabinets because the front door isn't the most beautiful object to look at and it would obscure that view. But you could do part tall cabinets (window side) and part lower cabinets.

I'd do Roman blinds/shades for the windows in the living room, but I don't know if you have a privacy issue. Or just roller blinds, white, with white sheer panels either side.

Okay, I hope I've attached a (really bad) sketch of what I'm thinking of.

ISince you never use it, you could also cover the front door with white sheers. Put a reading chair in the corner with your round table next to it.

I wouldn't hang a ceiling light in the living room, but put a floor lamp between the sofas. A funky chandelier above the dining table.

Lantern Arc Floor Lamp CB2
Bubble Chandelier Original Size by Jean Pelle

Oh... you know, so many ideas...
March 14, 2013 at 5:10am     
Jo Pearce
Thank you very much guys, unfortunately by design skills are limited to things with legs! (and some rather sexy wine glass holders :) rooms are not my thing!
I think that this furniture wall idea is great, and might even consider trying to knock something up myself. blinds were always on the cards, I love the blind/sheer curtain combo and my house has a high hedge most of the way round it which offers up lots of privacy.

I love the arc floor lamp but the boyfriend is not a fan, parhaps I should pout a little more.

Im sure that when I move more furniture in more dilemas will arise, I'll be sure to post these up for further guidance!

Thanks again, any other thoughts let me know, and I'll post pics when I have more to show.

Jo
March 14, 2013 at 5:31am     
olldroo
Can't agree with that much Carolins, I think it would close both the room and the front door area in too much, it isn't that big an area. Nothing in front of the door either, it mightn't be used much, but I am always aware of fire and having as many exits as possible.

That bubble chandie is gorgeous - bet the price tag is too.
March 14, 2013 at 5:48am     
carolins
Haha... I'm feeling that we're having a conversation about Jo Pearce's home with her in the room, but we're just ignoring her. You know... So, sorry Jo :-) It's just... your room is such a nice project for us interior decorating addicts.

But yeah, you're probably right. The drawing isn't to scale though, but that aside... a smaller, lower unit will be an option too of course. Let's say that the opening that now has the large couch in it is about 3 metres wide? So if you'd use 2 metres or less, it would still leave an opening that's wider than a normal door.
The thought behind using a high cupboard is that it would visually continue the dining room wall. As if it used to be there, but was broken through to the hallway.
In effect it would create one long dining/living room.
March 14, 2013 at 6:28am     
olldroo
Jo is obviously doing something else at the moment so that is ok for us to get all organised before she comes back:) I get what you are saying, but I just feel the area is too small and it would end up looking like a collection of boxes.

Anyway, I will leave you to your horses, I absolutely must get to bed - it is 1.15AM here.
March 14, 2013 at 7:16am     
carolins
Sleep well. I'm wide awake (15.17 pm and have hours to go yet).

And yeah... as I said, you're probably right about the space being too small for my brilliant cupboard idea... sigh...
I couldn't find a photo in the gallery that matched my idea either.
Apart from these, but most of them are totally different spaces. Nice small rooms though, so I'll include them anyway:

greenwich village loft living room
Project in Progress
Modern High-Rise
March 14, 2013 at 7:42am     
carolins
Sorry Jo, totally forgot you have a minibar that you'd like to put near the front door (?)

I still like the idea of putting the largest of the sofas against the long wall. Could you mount the TV on one of those pull out swivel thingies on the dining room/kitchen wall?
Or am I missing something that is preventing that? Do you have a photo that's taken either from your front door or from the corner behind the leather sofa towards the short kitchen wall? We haven't seen that part of the space yet.
March 14, 2013 at 8:08am     
Jo Pearce
Sorry! I was at work and got a bit busy. The minibar is going in the corner of the dining room so that's fine.

The wall with the kitchen door on may be big enough to hold a TV, but I fear would restrict the natural walk round from kitchen to dining room. It is painted the lightest colour but I'm afraid I have no pic.

I will turn the sofa round on the weekend and upload a pic! Enjoy your evening.
March 14, 2013 at 12:53pm     
carolins
Ha! Thanks. Olldroo and I enjoyed ourselves puzzling about your room while you were at work, so no worries :-)

We haven't figured it out yet, so I'm looking forward to the photo with the sofa against the long wall :-)
March 14, 2013 at 1:04pm     
carolins
March 14, 2013 at 1:48pm     
olldroo
Morning, Jo and Carolins - studied those photos you put up Carolins and yes those rooms definitely are narrow too. I'm particularly looking at the Park Palimpsest one, I can really relate it to Jo's room. I was a bit worried you wouldn't have room for an ottoman but that room does. I also like the idea of twin ottomans in the photo above it. Why is it rooms on Houzz always look so much better than our rooms when we photo them. I guess it is all the professional lighting that make the difference. I think Houzz had a hiccup as Jo's last comment hadn't come through when we were talking last night. That seems to happen a lot.

I think what has been throwing me off is the sofa in the middle of the room. It definitely needs a wall behind it. Jo if you could knock something up (love how you casually say that) to divide the room and create a hallway at the front door, that would give you so many more options. If it started with a tall cupboard immediately off the wall to screen the front door as Carolins suggested I'm thinking you could have that opening on the front door side and use it as a coat cupboard - or would you not use the door often enough to warrant that.

I love those arc lamps and they do look great but personally I wouldn't want one either - maybe save the pout for something more important.

Have fun this weekend, looking forward to hearing from you.
March 14, 2013 at 5:44pm     
carolins
Hi there, sleep well?

My home featured in a magazine once and even though I did the styling myself (I used to do some styling for a living) I almost didn't recognize it on the photos. The lighting plays a big part, but it also has never looked as clean and 'together' as in those shots. Not before and not after the photos.
Throw cushions on the sofa? Always end up on the floor in (my) real life. Sofa's in the photos are always butt-dentfree for instance. Hmm... I find that highly suspicious :-)

Love the idea of the coat-cupboard!
March 15, 2013 at 1:10am     
olldroo
Hi, Carolins, yes had a good sleep thanks and determined to get a much earlier night tonight.

I think I put a comment on here one time about the photos, can't remember now exactly, I think someone was trying to achieve the model looks that many do, and are generally dissatisfied because they can't, and I noted there was never a child's toy out of place or a loofah in the bathroom - usually hanging from a shower tap. Some rarely even have towels unless they are a featured colour.

Be interesting to see how Jo goes this weekend - this is fun.
March 15, 2013 at 3:58am     
Jo Pearce
I am currently enjoying the fact that despite the painting things, my house is currently more tidy that it will ever be again. I am not a tidy person! but I am a stickler for putting the cushions back where they belong.
I actually have a porch and a useless area at the bottom of the stairs to hang coats, there are some very questionable design decisions and diy attempts present in this house!
Ill be in there tomorrow so ill move the sofa and take some photos, perhaps I will try to take a few boxes with me to mock up pretend furniture and see how it looks!
March 15, 2013 at 5:25am     
mship2
Hello,
Sorry that I may be repeating prior posts, because I haven't read through completely. I agree that the curtains aren't working, nor is the placement of the furniture. Since you are keeping the furniture, I would move the larger sofa to the opposite wall and keep the leather one under the window. I think that that leather sofa will need to slide down toward the door, so that the arms of the two sofas meet properly on a 90, which will mean that it isn't centred under the window.

For the curtains, I would try to pick up a solid colour in the rug, such as a soft grey/sage (it's difficult to tell from the photo) and use that colour for the curtains. Try and find a pattern for the ottoman that ties the two couch colours together and doesn't contrast with the area rug.

I think some kind of low divider between the front entrance and the seating area may be a good idea, but it isn't essential. It might get too crowded.

A well placed mirror, or mirrored piece, may help to open up the space.

Good luck!
March 15, 2013 at 5:50am     
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Hi Jo, I see you are in the capable hands of Roo and Carolins, but just wanted to add my 2c.....

Drapes: blend them to the wall color, will make room appear larger.

The narrow space: The light pendant is a lot of the problem here. Place lamps in each corner and it will make that space appear larger...also for the window there a rod going the full width of the room, a pair of floor to ceiling panels, again in a color not too far removed from the walls, stacked either side of the radiator again will make the room appear wider. Great area for a reading nook. Use as much lamp light, and natural light there as possible. Try and accentuate the horizontal in that area, e.g. rug with stripes running sideways, and placed left to right rather than lengthwise.......even in drapes if you used a fabric with stripes running horizontally.

Cheers!
March 15, 2013 at 6:08am     
olldroo
Hi, Julie, where have you been lately.
March 15, 2013 at 6:18am     
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Hi Roo, have not had a good time lately..will tell you more later somewhere else. Thankfully busy this week ! Will talk to you tonight my time. Go to bed get some sleep!
March 15, 2013 at 6:19am   
olldroo
Sorry about that, hope things are improving. About to hit the sack. Chat tomorrow.
March 15, 2013 at 6:22am   
Jo Pearce
I had a look at that wall, and I think that it is going to shrink the room quite a lot if i swap the sofa round and add a partition. believe it or not with the sofa's being so low I really don't mind them being this way round. It also means that no one can see us slobbing about on the sofa! Attached are the other angles.
March 18, 2013 at 7:34am     
soberg
Wild idea....new curtain rod to go all the way across short wall with rarely-used door. Most of the time the curtain is pushed in front of door to clean up that side of the room.
March 18, 2013 at 7:39am     
carolins
Hmm...yeah, I had another think about the 'wall' too and thought it might be too much. So... sofa's are staying where they are. Okay.
I sort of like Soberg's wild idea of doing floor to ceiling, wall to wall curtains. I'd go for a sheer fabric and hang them with rings, something like this?

Softline Home Fashions

And then for the dining room a combination of either Venetian blinds or Roman blinds, with a floor to ceiling curtain, horizontal pattern. Or just curtain panels either side of the blind, but hanging in front of the walls, creating the illusion of a wider window..

Good Housekeeping™ Roman Shades
Teramo Curtain Panels
Levolor 2" Nuwood Faux Wood Blind
Geo Panels, Steel
March 18, 2013 at 10:35am   
March 18, 2013 at 10:36am     
carolins
I just edited a couple of my comments to make some space here :-)

How do you feel about going for a grey rug with a graphic pattern, in stead of the greenish one you have now?

If your curtains and your rug are more neutral and lighter than the current ones, you'll have the modern living room your partner likes, and then you can go 'wild' with adding cushions, upholstered ottoman, art, your funky tables to make it more your taste.
March 18, 2013 at 11:18am     
Jo Pearce
The rug is brand new and it's too late to take it back, I have no other rooms in the house to put it and after I buy all my kitchen appliances, wardrobes, a bed, etc. I have little money left to spend on more rugs so I am going to have to make this one work. I like the floor to ceiling curtains idea. Do you mean to stretch right across my ugly front door?
March 18, 2013 at 11:42am     
Jo Pearce
Sorry, I just read up, that's a great idea. Love the curtain suggestion pics too :)
March 18, 2013 at 11:44am     
carolins
Okay, so... green rug it is :-)

But I'm sure that once you've removed the red curtains it will already look so much better.

Were you thinking about a lamp like this to go between the sofas, together with your round table?

March 18, 2013 at 12:09pm     
Jo Pearce
It's not green!!!!! :) well, only a little bit ;) I love this lamp! Trying to find the most affordable but still quality version of it in the uk if anyone has seen a good price? X
March 18, 2013 at 12:14pm     
carolins
LOL So it's not a green rug pretending to be green. It really is so difficult to see colours from photos on screen. I keep thinking that your dark grey wall is dark brown.

I like the lamp too, but am a bit afraid that it will 'smother' your pretty table. Might not be the case though.
March 18, 2013 at 12:31pm     
carolins
Hi Jo,
sorry, me again,
I did you a mock up of your living room with white (well, I tried to make them white, but they are now sort of pinkish. Just imagine them white :-)) curtains. And it's a really bad mock-up, but it still will give you sort of an idea.

If you can ever bring yourselves to it, switching the sofas will be much better. The large comfy one in front of the window and the Chesterfield where the large one is now. I know why you've put them where they are now, but really.... :-)
March 19, 2013 at 7:15am   
jgoodmon
So here's an idea... what about a flatscreen tv lift cabinet with a finished back placed about where the long gray sofa is now? You could flip the long couch to the wall. You'd end up with the walkway you have now from the front (back) door, but it would open up the space.
March 19, 2013 at 7:26am     
olldroo
I really should be in bed, but I can't resist. Carolins, that mock up is great, maybe it is the colour, but gosh it makes such a difference to the room. When the entertainment unit goes in, the rug could be moved over so it goes under the grey lounge a little. Because of the heater, I would definitely keep to roman blinds and just side drapes that will clear the heater and save any problems there. What about the long table as a coffee table, I think that round one is a little too high.

If you are still thinking room divider, Jo, have you seen this sort of thing.

]
March 19, 2013 at 7:32am     
Jo Pearce
thank you jgoodmon for your suggestion but I have chosen not to put in any tall furniture that splits the room up, thats partly why we got such a low, unform shaped sofa.

I love this mock up, you have me sold on the white curtains, although I do still love the zig zag ones you uploaded before .... hmmmm...

Do you think i could swap the beanbags (can't find the right word) for a small colourful armchair?

Also, if i were to swap the sofas would i need to turn the rug around 90 degrees? I might go and try it out on my way home.
March 19, 2013 at 11:00am     
carolins
Hi Jo,
I was thinking white or grey sheers for your front room and the zig zag ones for your dining area because they are a more solid fabric. You don't have to have the same curtains for both windows, as long as the fabrics go together. Wouldn't do creme coloured ones for one window and white for the other I mean.
If your dining table and chairs are in and the bar is in its place, you can see if you have enough room for a chair.

If you swap the sofas around, you'll probably need to turn the rug. Keeping my fingers crossed that that arrangement works out :-)
March 19, 2013 at 12:09pm     
Smart Mural Stix
How about this wall theme? It will perfectly matched with your red curtain.
March 19, 2013 at 12:18pm   
jgoodmon
I agree with not having "tall furniture" split the room, I was thinking of something 30"H to no more than 34"H when the TV is in the down position. Something like this... May not float your boat, but just something I thought of. :)
March 19, 2013 at 12:19pm     
jgoodmon
I definitely agree with olldroo about using roman shades (or any kind of shade, really), if you need to close your window coverings for privacy or warmth. Side-hanging drapes that you don't close would work too; otherwise, the drapes should be short enough to not hit the radiators.
March 19, 2013 at 12:25pm     
carolins
Agree with jgoodmon and olldroo about the shades with curtain panels, but please, don't do short drapes. Never a good look! Sheers won't affect the warmth too much I would think. But for the dining room window I'd go for shades with floor to ceiling panels. As I think I've already said somewhere above, come to think of it :-)
March 19, 2013 at 1:02pm     
Jo Pearce
I've been getting my daily except use in sofa rearrangement!
I guess I'm so worried about things not tying in together! So maybe blind and sheers in the living room and zigzags in the dining room. I am now on the look out for cheap orange cushions! :)
Jgoodmons that is a beautiful cabinet but we already have a small entertainment unit which will have to do for now.
March 19, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Jo Pearce
Carolins I agree, short curtains don't do it for me. Even if it costs a little extra in gas (I say this now, I've not been in charge of my own utilities before!) with sheers I would only close them for extra privacy during the day anyway. In the evenings I can open them and close the blind.
Out of curiosity... What country are all you amazing people from?
March 19, 2013 at 1:06pm   
jgoodmon
I agree... short curtains would be a last resort... just didn't want to box you in, Jo. We are all just so darn opinionated on this site! :) I'm in the USA.
March 19, 2013 at 1:22pm   
carolins
Chuckling... opinionated? We?
I'm in the Netherlands.

You've been busy working up a sweat there. Wow!
And... which arrangement do you prefer? Who knew there were so many possibilities with placing your furniture :-D
Actually, I prefer them all, apart from the top left one because of the rug, to the original lay-out. And you?

Cheap orange cushions covers (8 pounds) at Ikea. Did you see the link for the tripod lamp I found for 60 pound or so at Homebase? Don't know if it's good quality, but it's not expensive I thought.

Have you tried next.co.uk for curtains?
March 19, 2013 at 1:46pm     
Jo Pearce
Opinionated is good!
March 19, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Jo Pearce
By preferences of these sofa arrangements? One more below. Plus my new cushion :)
March 19, 2013 at 1:59pm   
beverly_bilsborough
I have to say Jo you are in very very good hands with these two lovely ladies Olldroo and Carolins. If you were to take their suggestions I believe you would have one of the most elegant rooms possible. Good luck to all of you. I hope I find other projects I can follow these ladies and see what other homes they make beautiful. Jo you too have great ideas that makes the 3 of you so workable. So happy I turned to this page...❤
March 19, 2013 at 2:01pm     
Jo Pearce
you are a great bargain hunter! ill check out next, and i think i good wander round ikea is in order, we are thinking pax system for our walk in wardrobe so need to visit anyway. that is definitely the cheapest tripod lamp I've seen so far, I love the antique looking ones though so might wait a month or so and splurge! see what bf says!
March 19, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Jo Pearce
Thank you Beverly! I must say this would be a lot less fun without you all!
March 19, 2013 at 2:03pm     
carolins
That's quite a happy, colourful cushion. So am I correct in thinking that you're leaving the sofas as they were?
March 19, 2013 at 2:05pm   
Jo Pearce
well... ive put them back that way for now, but I'm so unsure. The previous owners had theirs as in pic 4 (bottom right) and instantly I said I wouldn't have it like but I don't hate it quite so much now. It's nice to have them face each other but it's a bit formal for how I'm likely to use the space. I like the second option except that from the other angle (kitchen door) it looks the wrong shape.

Oh, I'm just so confused! I guess chesterfield in gap will look better with nice long cream sheer curtains :/
March 19, 2013 at 2:27pm   
Jo Pearce
Here are some other angles.
March 19, 2013 at 2:27pm   
olldroo
Hi, all, coming on board for the day. Well, talk about international relations - imagine how peaceful the world would be if it were run by women. I'm Australian - hence the reason I'm not in sync with you all timewise. Jo - you are going to be able to say you had a team of international designers - lol -unless you want to take full credit, we won't mind.

So, to sum up so far Jo, go back to the original layout of your sofas. You like to snuggle up in front of the TV (doesn't everyone???) so comfort has to be #1 and you don't want to be sitting looking sideways and cricking your neck. Definitely keep the Chesterfield in front of the heater to hide it, provided it isn't likely to damage it at all and the other sofa at right angles to it. Maybe ensure you regularly apply some leather conditioner to the back of it in winter for extra protection. I think we would all be agreed on that.

I think we all agree on blinds because of the heaters and they will look far better than short curtains. Then we will have some panels each side, extended past the window, in fact in the dining area they would take up the whole wall. I think I would have them stationary though, that heater bothers me if you try to close them and I think a sheer would be useless as far as dressing the room, you need something solid. Good idea about extending the curtain across the front door but I think it would look very lopsided. However, you could have a panel of the same curtain over it, and catch it to the far wall side for extra daytime light. I think that would make the area more cohesive and look a lot larger

While we like the idea of white for adding light, if the curtains aren't going to be closed then that won't matter as much and I do like the idea of the Teramo Curtain (if that is the zigzag one). It will work well on both windows and the front door and I think it will really add some ooomph and style to the room. Jo, you can get a thermal roman blind too for keeping heat in and stopping cold coming through the glass, but it does reduce light to the room. An option for you to think about.

Cushions - new "patchwork" one is nice and colourful, but I'm sorry the two spotty ones just look too safe and wishy washy. Cushions are something you can let your head go with - I'd look at a bright yellow one at one end with the patchwork resting on it and then an orange at the other end of the lounge. Be brave!!!! I always like to use this example of how colourful a room can be and look great

Then put your entertainment unit and TV in, take your rug up to it, if it reaches, but start at one side under the Chesterfield and under your sofa on the other side. Add your long coffee table, your tripod lamp in the corner where the sofas meet and see how it all looks.

Artwork for the walls will be a matter for your personal taste (and budget), cruise through Houzz searching 'how to hang artwork' for ideas.

]
March 19, 2013 at 7:17pm     
olldroo
While I think of it, do think twice about removing the hatch to the kitchen. My dining area is quite small but a separate room and I find when I have people here and everyone is trying to help set or clear the table we always get locked up in the dining and kitchen doorways. I considered removing my hatch, but it really is so much more convenient to be able to just pass things through. I don't have doors on mine, only a frame but am waiting till I have the kitchen renovated before I decide on doors or still leaving it open but am using art work to minimalise the look of it. Yours, you could paint the same colour as the wall, but do think about it, observe how often you use it and how useful it is, they really are a boon.
March 19, 2013 at 7:33pm     
carolins
Olldroo has it nailed! :-D

My feeling about the sofas the way they were (and are again) is that the large one doesn't leave much space to walk to the kitchen or stairs. And if you put the TV more towards the dining area you wouldn't get a sprained neck if the large sofa is in front of the window. We have a TV that revolves a little bit on its foot, so depending on where we are in the room, we can turn it towards us. But I realize that not all TVs do that :-)
March 20, 2013 at 12:34am   
carolins
Thought you might find this example of colours and art inspirational:

March 20, 2013 at 2:15am     
olldroo
Carolins, hard to say just how much space there is between the grey sofa and the kitchen door from the angle of the photos. I'm thinking if Jo has it that way now it must be ok.
March 20, 2013 at 4:29am   
carolins
Olldroo... you're probably right. From the photos it seems a bit of a squeeze. But if Jo and boyfriend are not bothered by that... :-)
March 20, 2013 at 4:33am     
diane707
Unfortunately the 2 sofas don't work together(2 different styles). I prefer the grey one and maybe sell the chesterfield on craigs list and get 2 chairs. Can you flip the sofa to the wall? Its not an ideal arrangement as is. Get rid of the red drapes they are too strong--I would do a wooden blind in your trim color--This is a modern room no swags please.
March 20, 2013 at 4:47am   
diane707
I like the grey/purple sofa under window and add 2 swivel chairs. Get rid of the red. Red with grey is so passé
March 20, 2013 at 4:50am   
Jo Pearce
There is a hallway width between the sofa and the wall which is plenty for us. Behind the sofa is also quite a lot of space (I would actually move it back but is messes up my alignments!)
My parents bought the sofa when I was a baby and they have followed us round for 23years. Definitely couldn't let it go.
Would you all just give up on my if I told you that in tryin to steal my mums old gplan cabinet so I can paint it and add it to my mismatched room? :)
March 20, 2013 at 5:03am     
diane707
Move chesterfield sofa to your bedroom or sell the grey one and get another chesterfield. It's obvious you really aren't modern if you are planning to add a cabinet from Mum. Your choice here is to commit to traditional OR modern NOT both
March 20, 2013 at 5:09am   
carolins
Hahaha... no Jo, I like it! You're creating a room that you love with furniture that you love. So go for it :-) It will be your unique space.

@ diane707: where does it say that one has to choose between modern or traditional? Ever browsed the eclectic style section on Houzz? Please do, it will open your mind for a whole new adventure :-)
March 20, 2013 at 5:14am   
diane707
This isn't eclectic It's Static-lectic
Eclectic is a soft blend of scaled pieces that compliment each other and are pleasing to the eye when paired. There is no common scale or pairing in this room. What's happened is the clashing of 2 tastes
Jo's and Mum's
March 20, 2013 at 5:20am   
olldroo
diane - Jo is living with it and if it is what she likes and enjoys then that is her decision. There is no right and wrong in decorating.
March 20, 2013 at 5:23am   
olldroo
Jo, what is a gplan cabinet? Lots of different terminology here.
March 20, 2013 at 5:26am   
diane707
Whatever--the final question to ask ourselves is: Would I see this room in a house beautiful or a Glamour magazine fashion don't? If Jo feels she is on the house beautiful list then it's ok. But if she's asking for design help--one has to wonder
March 20, 2013 at 5:30am   
carolins
Olldroo... I had to google gplan cabinets too. I'm thinking (and sort of hoping) it's a mid-century modern style cabinet, since it's an old one. http://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_style/furniture/g_plan/g_plan_ranges.php

Where will you put it Jo? Just out of curiosity and interest ;-)
March 20, 2013 at 5:38am   
carolins
@ diane707: one wonders often about lots of things...
March 20, 2013 at 5:39am   
olldroo
Oh good grief, diane, there is more to life than being in magazines or living up to someone else's standards and ideals. My home is my little refuge in this mad mad world, it is my place to be myself, relax and enjoy and being who I am.

I didn't read anything about Jo wanting her home to be on the house beautiful list, she just wants something to be comfortable in and enjoy. You might be surprised just how many people are content with what they have and aren't forever chasing perfect - those who are, are NEVER contented.
March 20, 2013 at 5:42am     
olldroo
Thanks, Carolins. She is certainly allowed to have that - depending on size it looks perfect for her TV and DVDs.
March 20, 2013 at 5:45am   
carolins
...and breathe...lol
March 20, 2013 at 5:45am     
olldroo
Time for bed.
March 20, 2013 at 5:46am   
carolins
sleep well :-)
March 20, 2013 at 5:49am     
diane707
Jo--I give up-- Your house is your castle--whatever it looks like
March 20, 2013 at 5:53am     
nasmijati
Greetings, Jo. You are in capable hands with carolins and olldroo. I like the rug placed the "long way" in front of the Chesterfield sofa the best. Your gcabinet will look great with the tables you built (super creative :D). You could put your television on top of the gcabinet - I think it should fit...

I encourage you to consider insulated blinds for the lounge room windows. I have them and they work well.

I am eager to see more photos after you take care of the horses and massage your furniture-moving muscles!
March 20, 2013 at 6:10am     
olldroo
Hi ez, nice to see you here. We are having a lot of fun. BTW Carolins is the horse person. I wasn't thinking about the tables and the gcabinet, they both have quite a Danish flavour.

I just put an insulated blind up in the grands room today, I have been hesitant about them as they do cut the light to rooms, but I was pleasantly surprised with mine, it isn't too bad, probably because there is a gap along the top and down the two sides - only about 1cm, but enough to let light in.

Really must get to bed.
March 20, 2013 at 6:17am     
Jo Pearce
I love clashes of old and new, i try when possible to create it in my furniture too.
I still (or more than ever) think that with some light curtains and bright coloured accessories and an antique looking tripod lamp I may be on my way to what i think this room should be. And thats mostly (completely :)) thanks to you guys!
Thank you for your input Diane but I'm looking more for fun ideas from interested parties than bulldozing my rather unbeautiful 1970's house and selling all my furniture.
Upcycling Gplan is quite fashionable in the UK at the moment. This is the website of a girl who went to my uni and really represents what i think is 1950's upcycling at it's best. http://www.lucyturner.co/
The cabinet it a little shorter than a tallboy. I don't know where it would go or if I can steal it, (mum wanted to get rid of it until I showed her how cool it could look!) it was her grandmother's! I guess I was just being controversial :/
March 20, 2013 at 6:34am     
nasmijati
Hmmm. Seems as if your mother will keep the gplan cabinet!

In the USA, it is becoming fashionable to place the television on a console/credenza. I will see if I can find one that is Danish inspired to compliment the tables you built. Be back later...
March 20, 2013 at 6:48am     
carolins
Hi Eztia, I'm the horse person from Holland ;-)

Jo, I just checked Lucy Turner's website. What she creates is absolutely beautiful! If you can't get your hands on your mother's cabinet, perhaps you can find one on ebay or wherever and do your thing to make it look gorgeous.
The wonderful thing about you is that you can make wonderful things and yet, at the same time have a shocking taste in throw pillows lol
March 20, 2013 at 9:35am     
nasmijati
@carolins. Sorry for the mix-up.
March 20, 2013 at 10:04am     
nasmijati
Wow! If you go to the Houzz Products section and enter "Danish credenza" into the search box, there are 938 photos!!!
March 20, 2013 at 10:06am   
Jo Pearce
hahaha! Carolins you just made me burst out laughing in my serious office!!!!
I promise to put the green ones back in my bedroom where they look nice... i thought... Can i keep the multi coloured one? I thought anything with that much colour on had to be a winner? Now i know what a crednza is, I'm all in favour! perhaps I will have to spend some time in second hand furniture shops looking for a good one to do up! :)
March 20, 2013 at 10:59am   
carolins
Sorry Jo, hehe.

You can keep whatever you like. Although I do think the coloured one may be pretty hard to match. She's the queen of the ball I think. Actually,
Happy shopping for a credenza (I'm going to google credenza now. Learning new things every day.)

Habitat? Don't they have nice things for affordable prices?
March 20, 2013 at 11:33am   
nasmijati
Yes, do find out if there is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area. I went for the first time last week and was amazed at the variety of items for sale.
March 20, 2013 at 1:04pm   
Jo Pearce
Unfortunately no habitat for humanity in the UK, but Habitat we do have! unfortunately they went into administration and closed my local store :( I even have a gift voucher and can't spend it, but i do think we can still buy online :) good thinking!
March 20, 2013 at 1:50pm     
olldroo
Morning ladies, just checking in. Seems everything is under control here. Honestly when it comes to research Ez is the absolute best.

Boy Carolins, you sure are getting brutal about poor Jo's cushion choice, but I have to agree they were a little wimpy. Jo the patchwork one you got is colourful, it just isn't bold, so it doesn't make a great statement - in other words the pattern is a little small on it. However, in real life it probably does look good and I think putting another cushion in plain strong colour behind it to sort of frame it will really make it come to life and be the queen.

Credenza could be a good idea for your TV as long as it isn't too tall. Otherwise if you can snag your mum's it could make for good storage in your dining room.

Off to spread my fairy dust - catch you all later.
March 20, 2013 at 3:04pm   
Jo Pearce
I've just got into bed olldroo! ok, so i will try and pick a colour in the cushion (a pink or coral i think) and get a bigger one of the same colour to frame it :) then i need to ikea it up and get my big bright colour on ;)
Good point about height, both sofas are quite low so probs need to mirror that, and then bring something up taller like the lamp and maybe a narrow bookshelf or equivalent shape(?) to balance it all out. I don't really know what I'm saying, am I learning here?
March 20, 2013 at 3:18pm   
olldroo
Coral is my new favourite colour. Don't think I would go pink you could restrict yourself. Sounds like you are ready for bed. Sleep tight.
March 20, 2013 at 3:21pm   
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Exterior Paint for Front Door
My house is newly painted B.M.Jute.The painters just...
Please please please help me design my awkward family room!!
Hi! This is my very first time reading and posting...
Landscape Retaining wall & Outdoor BBQ
Would like to create this area with perennials and...
Need help choosing an exterior paint
Which color scheme would look best on outside of the...